XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Mystery.....with a bonus!

Old 02-16-2012, 09:21 AM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Mystery.....with a bonus!

Everyone should read this!

The mystery is that there is a little blue light mounted next to the dashboard trunk release button on my car. It flashes when the key is not in the ignition and must be an aftermarket something-or-other.
In trying to trace the wiring I could see that there was a black box hidden behind the hard trim in the foot well.
So I removed the trim and disconnected and removed the box.
On opening the box I was astounded and delighted to find my valet key amongst the electronics in there!
This was a BRILLIANT find for me as I only had one key and had assumed that the others had been lost in the dim and distant past of previous owners.
On googling the part # I realised that this unit is a transponder/immobiliser bypass so it must have had a remote starter at some time.
So for all of you folk with vehicles of unknown history, you never know what you might find when you start digging!
Anyway the blue light still flashes, so I dig deeper and behind the coin shelf I find another aftermarket box which on removal/googling I discover is a voice module. The kind of thing which tells you to clear off if the car is tampered with.
None of this stuff actually works, by the way, and the factory security system works just fine.
Well,guess what, the blue light STILL flashes so I still haven't found out what it's connected to.
I guess there's more to discover yet so I'll keep you posted.
I'm also sort of hoping that if I can disconnect this system totally it might resolve the central locking issue that I have in another thread.

Ian

Old 02-16-2012, 12:32 PM
Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Dude, that is awesome! I guess that was the cheapest way to come up with a transponder for them. I probably would never use the valet key either.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:10 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Fixed!

Well on digging deeper I found that the car was fitted with a Viper 791XV alarm with add-ons. So I removed the 791XV module, a 555U module, a 516U module, a Stinger shock sensor, and a relay and all of the associated wiring, led and switches.
Now I don't have an annoying flashing blue light. It also fixed the central locking problem that I had, and I found a key as a bonus.
Perhaps I should buy a lottery ticket as I've had a very lucky day!

There's probably a siren and an antenna buried somewhere in the car but they can stay there. Things are now a way lot tidier under the dash and I no longer have a bunch of unidentified wires, some of which weren't connected to anything.
Ian

Old 02-17-2012, 12:32 AM
Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Don't dig any deeper cause you can find a hidden gun, drugs and two Mexicans trying to cross the border

Actually I had similar experience with my Saab two years ago when with time I discovered a Bluetooth handsfree, integrated inside the dashboard, as well as GPS antenna and 5.68 euro in coints next to the transmission

Old 02-17-2012, 03:15 AM
JKo
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Don't bothet with the lottery ticket, you've clearly used your daily quota of good luck

I recently found a strange black box under the hood of my XJR, which I first thought to be some alarm device. After closer inspection it turned out to be connected to the engine block heater wiring, and googling the part# revealed that it's a battery charger

Old 02-17-2012, 03:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

Hey, good for you , it was worth tracing the line then lol
Good find namely about the key

Old 02-17-2012, 04:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

Originally Posted by Estilian
Don't dig any deeper cause you can find a hidden gun, drugs and two Mexicans trying to cross the border

Actually I had similar experience with my Saab two years ago when with time I discovered a Bluetooth handsfree, integrated inside the dashboard, as well as GPS antenna and 5.68 euro in coints next to the transmission
Go back a little further in the threads hereabouts and there is a member who found condoms hidden in multiple places in his car.

And a matchbook with a woman's phone number

Last edited by plums; 02-17-2012 at 04:15 AM.
Old 02-17-2012, 05:46 AM
JKo
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by plums
Go back a little further in the threads hereabouts and there is a member who found condoms hidden in multiple places in his car.
Unused I hope

Old 02-17-2012, 07:07 AM
Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

It's a Jaguar, of course they were used! The XJ8 is a good aphrodisiac