Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj8-xjr-x308-27/)
-   -   Noise coming when I am driving. (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj8-xjr-x308-27/noise-coming-when-i-am-driving-179535/)

omgimali 04-07-2017 04:27 PM

Noise coming when I am driving.

This "noise" comes when I am going uphill usually but not most the time.
Best you can hear it is from 0:13 to 0:18 and then 0:32 to the end.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LTX...ature=youtu.be

King Charles 04-07-2017 06:47 PM

Not really sure what to listen for & the audio's muddy on my end(bassy speakers on this device) , I'll give it a listen on my phone later on.

Highhorse 04-08-2017 07:23 AM

I'm with KC, ...I don't hear anything significant myself (put it on my Bose speaker) except at the :21, was that a road? I did catch what sounded like a key chain rattle at :13, but not at :18, is that what your trying to describe?

nilanium 04-08-2017 10:59 AM

The first time I listened I thought I heard a slight rapid knocking at the times you described, but I can't hear it anymore. Now the only thing I hear is what sounds almost like a wheel bearing? A sort of humming noise, but like others have said, it's hard to hear and we're not sure what we're looking for.

omgimali 04-08-2017 02:01 PM

There is a humming noise which i've always wondered.
But yes Highhorse the Key Chain Rattle

Jhartz 04-09-2017 10:26 AM

I didn't hear anything: maybe it was police car about to pull you over for exceeding the 35 mph speed limit. Tongue in cheek.

omgimali 04-09-2017 11:29 AM

Speed limit was actually 25 because of school....

omgimali 04-12-2017 10:22 PM

Ok I only hear that noise on low speed. But mostly on that road no where else....

Highhorse 04-13-2017 09:53 AM

Tire noise then?

omgimali 04-13-2017 01:06 PM

Do you think the rattle could be a tyre noise???

Sean B 04-13-2017 03:42 PM

I can't hear anything but do you start the car and follow this route each time? also, do you drive it from cold each time? It could be VVT you hear. Run the car stationary - hood popped -up to temperature and see if it does it and how long it takes.
BTW if it is, it's nothing major, some go up an engine grade to quieten the units.

harvest14 04-13-2017 03:51 PM

There are road anomalies out there! There is a road leaving my work where it looks smooth and newly paved but the front end vibrates causing the steering wheel to move back and forth a little. I was convinced my front end was needing some sort of repair.

I have since driven about 7 different cars down that stretch of road and they ALL do the same thing, even brand new 2017 model cars.

Same thing with road noise. There is a road near the airport (also newly paved) that causes excessive tire/road noise. I have driven probably a dozen different cars down that road and they all sound like they have a major tire problem, even a brand new Infiniti!

omgimali 04-13-2017 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by Sean B (Post 1659347)
I can't hear anything but do you start the car and follow this route each time? also, do you drive it from cold each time? It could be VVT you hear. Run the car stationary - hood popped -up to temperature and see if it does it and how long it takes.
BTW if it is, it's nothing major, some go up an engine grade to quieten the units.

No just when I am coming back to school. engine hot norm temp. Never cold I always let my cars warm up for a min or two. It doesn't do it at idle just that road.

omgimali 04-13-2017 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by harvest14 (Post 1659353)
There are road anomalies out there! There is a road leaving my work where it looks smooth and newly paved but the front end vibrates causing the steering wheel to move back and forth a little. I was convinced my front end was needing some sort of repair.

I have since driven about 7 different cars down that stretch of road and they ALL do the same thing, even brand new 2017 model cars.

Same thing with road noise. There is a road near the airport (also newly paved) that causes excessive tire/road noise. I have driven probably a dozen different cars down that road and they all sound like they have a major tire problem, even a brand new Infiniti!

Our roads in my town are so bad. The mayor doesn't do anything. He only fixed the road he lives at and no one else...