XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Driver's Door Won't Lock/Open

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2019, 06:20 AM
Received 141 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Driver's Door Won't Lock/Open

Had quite some time off, and the car has been stood doing nothing. An overnight charge of the battery, hard reset, and the car fired up first turn of the key and runs like a nose.

The door opened using the fob after re-connecting the battery, but it took a few tries to get it open. Now, it won't lock or open using either of the two fobs! I re-programmed both fobs and still the same. The other three doors, boot, and fuel lid all lock and open using the fob, but the drivers door won't open or lock with the fob. When I push down the lock button with the driver's door open, it locks the other 3 doors briefly then they unlock again. If I push the button down with the driver's door closed, the other 3 doors lock and stay locked.

Everything works as normal using the key itself. The closing of all windows holding the key in lock position, and the opening of all windows holding the key on open position. If I turn the key to open, all 4 doors open, then turn to lock within 3 seconds, all 4 doors lock and I get a beep to confirm the car is deadlocked.

I have some spare doors I hope to put on the car when they're painted in the spring, so I had some spare parts. I changed the Door Module, no difference. I changed the whole door lock mechanism (which I think includes some micro switches for lock state and lock activator?) and that made no difference. I cleaned and checked all connections inside the door using a resistance meter and all were OK. I know the Relay is OK as the other 3 doors work from the fob no problem.

There's a connection just after the Relay that 'splits' the signal to all 4 doors, I think the Relay and Connector are behind the left rear heelboard?

Picture from page 77 Electrical guide.
-14 Driver Rear Door Lock Actuator
-15 Passenger Rear Door Lock Actuator
-13 Passenger Door Lock Actuator
-12 Driver's Door Lock Actuator
All 4 wire colors are the same - Slate and Green

Finally, when I put the car into reverse, 3 doors lock automatically as they should... but not the driver's door?

Has anyone any experience with this or similar problems that may throw some light on why the Driver's door won't work with the fob?
As always I will be grateful for any help and advice.. this is one of those annoying issues that just 'crop up' and take an age to nail down.
Paul

The following users liked this post:
ericnunez (01-10-2024)