Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj8-xjr-x308-27/)
-   -   Passenger window going down on its own (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj8-xjr-x308-27/passenger-window-going-down-its-own-144434/)

sh500 06-12-2015 09:29 AM

Passenger window going down on its own

Hi all,

I have this problem where the passenger window just goes down on its own without me doing anything. When it first started to happen, I was able to use the passengers own window rocker switch to close the window. It would happen randomly whilst driving.

More recently, the problem seems to have got worst, the window almost alway goes fully down when I start the car ( and more frequently when driving). The only way now that it goes up, is by holding up BOTH the rocker switches on the passenger side AND driver side master control (for the passenger window).

Any ideas if something just needs to be reset or if the actual switch is faulty, or even a connection issue?

Thanks.

CharlzO 06-12-2015 09:38 AM

You could try the battery reset, and see if that helps. Otherwise, try disconnecting the window switches themselves. Start with just the switch on that door, see if still does it. Then try the driver's switch by itself. Then both. Sucks to have to pull apart to check it (not that it's THAT hard but still).. that might narrow it down.

test point 06-12-2015 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by sh500 (Post 1246015)
. . . goes fully down when I start the car ( and more frequently when driving).

I know this is going to sound strange but the first thing I would do is to have a free charging system test at your local auto parts store. That's easy. Window memory is the first thing to go with low battery voltage.

Then you can do all the other stuff.

sh500 06-13-2015 04:32 AM

I had the battery reset soon after I posted. Disconnected the terminals,left for about 5 mins but same thing.

I also decide to remove the door trim panel. Disconnected the rocker switch connector, reconnecting it, I can hear a single click, but the switch wasn't doing anything. For whatever reason, when I removed the panel, and started the car, the window didn't go down on its own. I think this just may have been coincidence perhaps.

Would a problem with the battery prevent the switch working at all though? All the other window switches work fine. It's a relative new, Bosch battery. Replaced about 2-3 years ago.

Should have said, I'm in the UK. I don't believe we get such free test.

andrew lowe 06-13-2015 05:02 AM

Don't just disconnect the battery, do a proper hard reset!

If you don't know how... search on the forum, there are a few instructional threads.

test point 06-13-2015 05:54 AM

He means to touch the negative CABLE to the positive battery POST.

sh500 06-14-2015 12:24 PM

It seems like after opening up the door panel and removing the connections, the window going on down on its own has stopped.

Also just tried the 'hard reset', but that hasn't made any difference.

CharlzO 06-14-2015 06:11 PM

Not sure off the top of my head if the connectors are the same between the front and rear doors, but i guess you could see if they're the same, and swap the switch from the rear to the front door, and vice versa, see if the problem follows the switch?

sh500 06-16-2015 06:40 AM

I don't think my last message got sent for some reason.

I was saying that I may just purchase a replacement switch. The existing one, seems to only close the window but not open it.

CharlzO 06-16-2015 10:30 AM

Ah, well seems like it's narrowed down pretty well, hopefully that's all it takes to correct it :)

Redbaron536 03-09-2019 09:13 AM

Hi. I have the exact same problem on my X-300. Thankful for a hint of you finally solved the issue.

// Jan

sh500 07-15-2020 07:22 AM

Forgot to update this post.

It was a replacement window rocker switch that resolved this issue