XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Re-take on wiring an aux input

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 11:10 AM
Received 141 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Re-take on wiring an aux input

There are loads of posts using Gopi's thread about wiring an AUX input from the CD changer in the boot. I do have a few CD's that I listen to so, after thinking about it, I came up with a way of having both. I'm sure someone else may have done similar but here's what I did:

Original setup from CD to the head unit:

Adding a 2 Pole, Double Throw switch:

I got 9 core wire (that's all that they had with at least 5 cables)

And snip off what you don't need:

After doing the connections mentioned above inside the CD Unit, I joined both wires and trimmed the rubber fitting out of the CD:

And fitted it all back together with the 2 wires coming out of the CD Unit

Did a continuity test to check the connections:

Then connected the switch and 3.5mm female jack just behind the 'J' Gate. It cost me less than £10 for the materials:

I fitted the tiny switch and 3.5mm female jack plug just behind the 'J' Gate housing, very neat and tidy. Works great, now I can connect any device with a 3.5mm output such as smart phone, iPod, iPad... or switch to the CD player.

The following users liked this post:
Don B (09-06-2017)
Old 09-05-2017, 05:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 470 Likes on 352 Posts

This looks interesting, is the sound quality ok? I installed my aux input with the jack inside the armrest, and used a thin 90 degree aux cable to plug into my source.

Old 09-20-2017, 08:51 AM

Hi Stu 1986, sorry for the late reply. Yes, the sound quality was excellent, though I had to crank up the output volume on the smartphone and the head unit (remember to turn the volume back down on the unit or it tends to clear the wax somewhat!). I have read since that there's a Bluetooth kit available somewhere, you just connect a receiver into the cut Blue & Green wires in the CD Player?

Old 09-20-2017, 03:33 PM
Veteran Member

I too enjoy listening to CD's sometimes, it's not often I listen to the radio as I find the adverts and irritating DJ's intrusive and an unwelcome presence in my car. My current AUX set up serves me well, but I'll keep yours in mind for if I decide to change things around.

I joined my friend last week to look at a new XE and the Jaguar salesman told me that no new Jaguar comes with a CD player now because they are old fashioned. Sign of the times.

Old 09-21-2017, 03:35 AM

Hi Stu, I know exactly where you're at with this. For my sins, I play in a brass band, one of the world's best as happens, and there's very few CD's for my preferred genre... relatively speaking. My username might give away to some the instrument I play? Hence the MOD, it works well though I do have to increase the device volume to max, as a musician I can tell you the quality of sound is good, but you will already know this with the system you have.

The digital CD's took over the vinyl discs we all used, now digital storage devices have pushed CD's to the back burner, and I can see why manufacturers fit facilities for this modern tech to new vehicles. Jaguar have decided to go the new tech route and I think it's the right move, but I do like the depth of sound from an old analogue system, just a preference. However, I don't think I will be buying and recording any cassettes to play in my 1998 lol. Like you say, sign of the times...

Old 09-21-2017, 03:53 AM
Veteran Member

My XJ has the Alpine premium sound option, with upgraded and modern speakers. The modern speakers have plastic cones instead of cardboard which allows for a better quality of sound. The quality of the sound is amazing compared to the standard set up and that of other cars. I listen to a wide variety of music from classical through to much more contemporary music and the system never fails to deliver.

However, my friend has an early 2016 XF which has 3 different sound settings available; Meridian, Dolby Pro Logic Surround Sound and DTS. Each one performs differently but they all comfortably out perform my system.

I do like listening to brass band music occasionally, coming from an Air Force family I like to listen to the Central Band of the RAF and I do like the colliery bands too.

Old 09-21-2017, 04:56 AM

Hi again Stu, that's amazing, the band I play for is an 'Ex' colliery band, Craghead Colliery near Durham. Coming from Lancashire you will be almost brought up with brass bands, nearly all the world famous ones come from there and West Yorkshire.

You have touched on something that's been on my mind for a while, ie, changing my system to the premium one, not knowing if it would be worth any hassle has been the delay in me researching the project?

Did you upgraded to premium from the standard, or was the premium system already installed? I appreciate with modern technology the options for upgrading a MY 1998 may be limited, but I would be most interested to know what parts (head unit, speakers etc) I could get, and a basic rundown of how I should go about fitting one? My interest in upgrading is rekindled now, will you explain to my wife why I want to spend more money please? lol...

Old 09-21-2017, 05:52 AM
Veteran Member

With your car being the 98 model, the premium sound option was made by HarmanKardon and the wiring for it will be slightly different to the version fitted to my car. However the principle will be the same; Subwoofer on the rear shelf, amplifier hidden in the boot and additional tweeters on the A pillars. And of course much higher quality and powerful speakers than the standard ones. I'll have to be honest though, I am unsure if it shares functions with the Alpine version. For example I can select where to "focus" the sound. If I am alone in the car it can be tuned to give a much better sound in that area than if it was in the whole car.

I retrofitted the system into my car, it is a rare option in the UK. To do so I had to scour ebay on a daily basis in the hope some part of the system would be listed. The hardest thing to find was the A pillar trims with the speaker grills for the tweeters. The majority of the wiring is normally in place for the speakers, however you may need to source a ICE loom to connect between the head unlit and the amplifier. I had to do this, but it was a quick and easy job as I had the interior out anyway.

It is worthwhile to do if you're serious about sound, but it's a good idea to fit the modern speakers with the poly cones. There's a good thread on here about updating the sound system, it's where I got a lot of info from. I'll post a link.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-system-86766/

The following users liked this post:
euphonium01 (09-21-2017)