Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj8-xjr-x308-27/)
-   -   Repaired my sub woofer today! (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj8-xjr-x308-27/repaired-my-sub-woofer-today-69252/)

Vector 03-03-2012 08:23 PM

Repaired my sub woofer today!

Toughest part was removing the "squab" or seat back, as we call it in the states. The headrests have two retainer clips on each of them that you have to reach up under the seat back to remove, very difficult.

It took both my wife and I pulling out and up on the seat back to get it out.

Don't break the trim pieces for the seat belt pockets in the top of the seat, its easy to say, but hard to do, I was being very careful and I still broke one clip.

I got the foam surround kit from Speakerworks, $13 plus shipping. Removed the old surround, glued the new one in and let it sit overnight before I re-installed it. I also ran a couple of wires from the console to the trunk while I had the seat out: One for the power antenna disconnect switch loop ( I never could find the right wires in my console, so I am going to run a loop directly to the wire on the antenna) and 3 conductor for an MP3 input to the CD player.

New sub woofer sounds great! Put the "thump" back in my music!

I dreaded this project because of what I read about how difficult it was to remove the seat, it was a pain in the *ss, but worth the effort and a bargain repair too.
Vector

ixj8it 03-03-2012 08:35 PM

Now this is a cool idea. I was just kicking around the idea of taking out the stock woofer and replacing it with one from my AIWA 5.1 surround subwoofer since I never use it. Does anyone know what size and impedance the stock woofer is?

Vector 03-03-2012 08:38 PM

It's a 6x9 dual voice coil sub, 4 ohms IIRC. Very hard/expensive to find a replacement, that is why I did the repair.
Vector

Cadillac 03-04-2012 03:58 AM

Good job, http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/9146/rimshottg7.gif

ixj8it 03-04-2012 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Vector (Post 477843)
It's a 6x9 dual voice coil sub, 4 ohms IIRC. Very hard/expensive to find a replacement, that is why I did the repair.
Vector

Great info. I was really expecting to find a 6" or so woofer. I guess I'll keep my POS AIWA subwoofer box intact. Could you give a little bit more info on the speakerworks kit so we can make sure to buy the right one? I am gonna be so happy to stop that buzz buzz sound from the back, lol.

luc 03-04-2012 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by Vector (Post 477835)
Toughest part was removing the "squab" or seat back, as we call it in the states. The headrests have two retainer clips on each of them that you have to reach up under the seat back to remove, very difficult.

It took both my wife and I pulling out and up on the seat back to get it out.

Don't break the trim pieces for the seat belt pockets in the top of the seat, its easy to say, but hard to do, I was being very careful and I still broke one clip.

I got the foam surround kit from Speakerworks, $13 plus shipping. Removed the old surround, glued the new one in and let it sit overnight before I re-installed it. I also ran a couple of wires from the console to the trunk while I had the seat out: One for the power antenna disconnect switch loop ( I never could find the right wires in my console, so I am going to run a loop directly to the wire on the antenna) and 3 conductor for an MP3 input to the CD player.

New sub woofer sounds great! Put the "thump" back in my music!

I dreaded this project because of what I read about how difficult it was to remove the seat, it was a pain in the *ss, but worth the effort and a bargain repair too.
Vector

You don't have to remove the headrest to pull the back seat out.
There are only 4 screws/bolts ( + 2 bolts for the seat belts) to remove.
Maybe it was was hard because it was you first time.
I can remove mine in less than 10 minutes

ixj8it 03-04-2012 10:48 AM

Could you elaborate a bit more on bolt location and the like? I want this to go as smoothly as possible once I get the foam surround in my hands.

adam699 03-04-2012 01:59 PM

This was one of the first projects I did. I'd say that the updated foam surround is probably better than a new speaker from that era. I've been thinking about doing this to all the door speakers.

Vector 03-04-2012 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by luc (Post 478004)
You don't have to remove the headrest to pull the back seat out.
There are only 4 screws/bolts ( + 2 bolts for the seat belts) to remove.
Maybe it was was hard because it was you first time.
I can remove mine in less than 10 minutes

Jag manual said to remove the headrests, so I did. I actually tried to get the seat out with the headrests in place and did not have quite enough room to lift it clear of the posts.
Vector

Vector 03-04-2012 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by ixj8it (Post 478037)
Could you elaborate a bit more on bolt location and the like? I want this to go as smoothly as possible once I get the foam surround in my hands.

See pages 5 thru 12 of this document:
Vector

Vector 03-04-2012 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by ixj8it (Post 477988)
Great info. I was really expecting to find a 6" or so woofer. I guess I'll keep my POS AIWA subwoofer box intact. Could you give a little bit more info on the speakerworks kit so we can make sure to buy the right one? I am gonna be so happy to stop that buzz buzz sound from the back, lol.

This is the kit I ordered, perfect fit - Go here: 6" x 9" Angled Speaker Repair Kit For Replacing Foam Surrounds

I was wrong about the price, it's $10.50 + shipping.

Vector

sitkom 03-05-2012 02:05 PM

Thanks Vector. I'm going to try this one out myself this weekend!

YacobX 05-26-2012 12:34 AM

Im having the same problem. Did this work for you Sitkom?

LaserSVT 05-26-2012 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by YacobX (Post 519492)
Im having the same problem. Did this work for you Sitkom?

I bought one on Monday, arrived Wed, installed Thursday and put back in the car yesterday. Sounds excellent! Way better then stock although its been a few years since I heard a good stock HK sub.
Cranked it up with some good music and it was very clean and played fairly deep. Sounds like a much larger speaker under the deck.

The Speakerworks surround allows for much more excursion and I believe it has better cone control.

vdpnyc 05-29-2012 06:39 PM

Is there any easier access to the sub besides taking the back seat out? Any way to remove the grill from the rear parcel-tray and then just unscrew the 4 subwoofer screws?

LaserSVT 05-29-2012 06:59 PM

Nope.

vdpnyc 05-29-2012 09:02 PM

lol, how is the grill held in place to the tray?

ixj8it 06-02-2012 02:25 PM

lol got my foam repair kit today. Looks excellent. I am holding off on the install since I blew my head gaskets! Perhaps though, this is the perfect time to get the job done!

YacobX 06-07-2012 09:05 PM

this was quite the challenge.

lglamb 06-08-2012 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by ixj8it (Post 523167)
lol got my foam repair kit today. Looks excellent. I am holding off on the install since I blew my head gaskets! !

Damn! How loud did you have it turned up?

:)

Lowell