Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj8-xjr-x308-27/)
-   -   Restricted Performance and Misfires (Sad in Chicago) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj8-xjr-x308-27/restricted-performance-misfires-sad-chicago-215029/)

Charles Adams-Bey 03-14-2019 11:32 AM

Restricted Performance and Misfires (Sad in Chicago)

After changing the knock sensor, battery, and cleared the codes, my 2003 XJ8 Base overheated then limped home. Now rough idle and restricted performance. Was thinking that I may have to change the valve cover gaskets. Any thoughts???

Jhartz 03-14-2019 12:24 PM

What codes do you now have? I don't see leaking cam cover gaskets causing overheating, maybe lots air leaks -- but more likely you have something disconnected or not installed correctly from the work you have done. Review every step . . .

Charles Adams-Bey 03-14-2019 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Jhartz (Post 2039746)
What codes do you now have? I don't see leaking cam cover gaskets causing overheating, maybe lots air leaks -- but more likely you have something disconnected or not installed correctly from the work you have done. Review every step . . .

Misfires in each plug

Charles Adams-Bey 03-14-2019 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Charles Adams-Bey (Post 2039798)
Misfires in each plug

I wondered if the overheating might have damaged the gaskets. I also switched out the plastic thermostat housing and thermostat after the overheating.

Don B 03-19-2019 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by Charles Adams-Bey (Post 2039721)
After changing the knock sensor, battery, and cleared the codes, my 2003 XJ8 Base overheated then limped home. Now rough idle and restricted performance. Was thinking that I may have to change the valve cover gaskets. Any thoughts???

How is your coolant level? Could you have disturbed a valley coolant hose while replacing the knock sensor, initiating or aggravating a leak? You can look down between the air intake elbows to see if coolant is leaking in the valley.

Could you have disturbed the electrical connections at the engine coolant temperature sensor?

If you can please post all of the diagnostic trouble codes that are present that will help us see the full picture.

Cheers,

Don

Charles Adams-Bey 03-19-2019 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Don B (Post 2042111)
How is your coolant level? Could you have disturbed a valley coolant hose while replacing the knock sensor, initiating or aggravating a leak? You can look down between the air intake elbows to see if coolant is leaking in the valley.

Could you have disturbed the electrical connections at the engine coolant temperature sensor?

If you can please post all of the diagnostic trouble codes that are present that will help us see the full picture.

Cheers,

Don

The trouble codes are as follows:
P0300,01-08, P1313, 1314,1316 and P1000

Charles Adams-Bey 03-19-2019 05:08 PM

Correction... Please omit codes P0304 and P0305

anduha 03-19-2019 08:43 PM

Sounds like you have misfires in 6 of 8 cylinders and excess emissions codes resulting from there. Leaking valve cover gaskets can cause misfires if oil leaks down into the spark plug wells. I would remove all ignition coils and see if the spark plug wells are flooded. If they are siphon any oil out and replace all spark plugs/clean coil boots. You will also need to replace the valve cover gaskets but I agree with the previous poster, overheating rarely causes this. I fear if overheated for too long you may have head damage. A compression test while the plugs are out may be worthwhile but first things first.

As far as the overheating/leaking the two hoses that run under the intake manifold and plastic thermostat tower are known leak points. The water pumps in these cars also had plastic impellers so these could fails as well if not upgraded. The octopus hose behind the engine is also a failure point. Lastly I once had the same overheating problem in my XJ8 even after replacing all these parts, turns out the cooling fan fuses were blown. Check these as well (30 amp fuses).

Don B 03-19-2019 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by Charles Adams-Bey (Post 2042325)
The trouble codes are as follows:
P0300,01-08, P1313, 1314,1316 and P1000

If these DTCs were not present prior to replacing the knock sensor, you have to suspect they are caused by something that was disturbed during your work or was not properly reassembled.

I asked earlier about your coolant level - is it low? Could you have air pockets in the cooling system? Was the engine coolant temperature sensor disconnected?

If one of your valley hoses is leaking coolant, it could be dripping on electrical connector PI1 on the bulkhead behind the engine. The ground referenced by all 8 coils/ignition modules passes through that connector, and any added resistance could cause misfires in multiple or all cylinders.

Cheers,

Don

Charles Adams-Bey 03-20-2019 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by Don B (Post 2042485)
If these DTCs were not present prior to replacing the knock sensor, you have to suspect they are caused by something that was disturbed during your work or was not properly reassembled.

I asked earlier about your coolant level - is it low? Could you have air pockets in the cooling system? Was the engine coolant temperature sensor disconnected?

If one of your valley hoses is leaking coolant, it could be dripping on electrical connector PI1 on the bulkhead behind the engine. The ground referenced by all 8 coils/ignition modules passes through that connector, and any added resistance could cause misfires in multiple or all cylinders.

Cheers,

Don

Thanks for all of your input..I greatly appreciate your assistance. I've ordered the valve cover gasket set and the intake manifold gasket set. I already purchased the iridium plugs. After I complete the task at hand I'll repost.

Don B 03-20-2019 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by Charles Adams-Bey (Post 2042642)
Thanks for all of your input..I greatly appreciate your assistance. I've ordered the valve cover gasket set and the intake manifold gasket set. I already purchased the iridium plugs. After I complete the task at hand I'll repost.

Coolant level?

Charles Adams-Bey 03-20-2019 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by Don B (Post 2043094)
Coolant level?

The coolant level is fine

Don B 03-21-2019 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by Charles Adams-Bey (Post 2043154)
The coolant level is fine

Any chance there are air pockets in the cooling system?