Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj8-xjr-x308-27/)
-   -   Starting problem + Losing my lights (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj8-xjr-x308-27/starting-problem-losing-my-lights-175295/)

Mariero 01-16-2017 08:32 AM

Starting problem + Losing my lights

I have a 4 litre Daimler Vanden Plas -98.
Sometimes, when I want to start the car, the lights next to the gearshifter is blinking red and when I put the key into the ignition, the steering wheel and chair does not move as they normally would. The lights come on as usual, but when I turn the ignition, everything gets black. The headlights will not turn on.
The last time this happened, I opened the glove compartment and when I closed it, the car started....
A couple of years ago I changed the main grounding cable and looked over all the connections from the battery to the false bulkhead.
Also, a few times, while driving, I have lost the headlights and at the same time, the red light indicating that I am not using my safety belt, comes on. The last time this happened, I turned the lights on and off a few times and then it worked.
One time, I was picking up my letters in the mailbox and when I got back into the car, I could not get it into drive. After a little while, it worked.
Any suggestions?

nigelmay 01-16-2017 11:10 AM

Ground from the body control module, which is located behind the glove box. I had a similar thing, solved by running a separate ground from the BCM down to the gearbox. Therew is a thread about it on here somewhere.

Mariero 01-16-2017 11:12 AM

Will look at it.
thanks
Frode

Mariero 01-16-2017 01:03 PM

Nigelmay!
What you describe as BCM, is that what Jaguar call Body Processor Module?
thanks
frode

nigelmay 01-17-2017 03:38 AM

Sorry, wrong terminology, it's the body processor module. Although it's bolted to the body with three fixings, on mine there was an intermitent ground that caused all sorts of issues: wiper doing a half sweep and stopping in the middle of the screen, losing all lights and indicators etc. etc.

Mariero 01-17-2017 03:41 AM

thanks

Thanks for your reply. My English is not 100% so I got a little confused and therefor looked in the Jag manual.
frode

Mariero 01-25-2017 01:50 PM

Hi Nigelmay!
I am a bit afraid to do this myself so I went to see my garage today. They say they will do it, but asked for a specific point to connect the new grounding cable. Is there such a place ( a grounding point?) or do you just connect the BPM anywhere with a ground cable to the gearbox?
Am I right when I assume this is not a job for a near-beginner? (Myself) I once had a Land-Rover and I got a book about how to do most the work on the engine. I used the book and changed all bearings etc in the engine. Is there something similar for my car?
best
Frode

nigelmay 01-26-2017 03:33 AM

From memory, a ground strap was run from one of the three bolts that attach the BPM to the metalwork of the dashboard down to a convenient bolt on the gearbox. I don't think there was any need to chose a particular bolt, it was just to amke sure that the BPM had a good ground.

Mariero 01-26-2017 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by nigelmay (Post 1608997)
From memory, a ground strap was run from one of the three bolts that attach the BPM to the metalwork of the dashboard down to a convenient bolt on the gearbox. I don't think there was any need to chose a particular bolt, it was just to amke sure that the BPM had a good ground.

OK Thanks
frode