XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Starts goes to 1000 rpm then dies

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2017, 09:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Starts goes to 1000 rpm then dies

My problem, the 99 Jag xjr has been running great, starts great etc. I took a 15 mile trip shut the car off all seemed normal. I went inside for about 15 min. Tried to start the car but it would start run up to about 1000 rpm then shut down. Checked the gas gauge 1/3 tank tried it again about 10 times waiting 10+ seconds between starting attempts, no luck. Got a ride home and went back the next day with 5 gallons of fuel, still no luck check for loose wires etc. under the hood and all the fusees all looked good. Swapped the fuses that I thought might cause a problem no luck, called a tow truck and had it hauled to my house. Checked wires again, checked fuses again, checked circuit breakers by swapping like breakers no change. Checked CB for vehicle shut down after accident even though their was no accident would not click so I think it's OK and it does start but only for a few seconds. Did a fuel pump pressure check during start it goes to 42 psi and drops to 40 when engine shuts down. It drops to 0 after setting for about 20 minuets. Both pumps and filter were changed in 2014, however I installed a new fuel filter, no change. Also drained the tank during filter change and it matched fuel gauge close, 1/3 on gauge drained out 8 gallons. Did a vacuum check on fuel pressure regulator and it held 30 psi. I also today hooked hose to schrader valve and pumped fuel into a jar. It pumped a few ounces in 60 sec but I don't know the specifications, I'm sure it would be more if hooked directly to the line before the fuel rail. Also pulled a spark plug and it looked good, even though. Only code showing is P1000 factory code. NEED SOME ADVICE OTHER THAN TAKE IT TO A DEALER. Just completed a compression check throttle blocked open left bank (looking fwd) 130,125,125,137 Rt bank 130,140,140,143 Vehicle has 103,000 miles. First time posting Thanks in advance.

Old 06-25-2017, 09:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 968 Likes on 767 Posts

Sounds just like your primary fuel pump has died. The secondary fuel pump that normally comes on under boost is also responsible for starting your car.

Old 06-30-2017, 11:04 PM

Sorry didn't get back to you sooner, I'm leaning toward the pump as well, just trying to cover all other items before pulling or cutting the back shelf. Are you thinking the small amount of fuel I got from the rail that the pump is the problem? However today I replaced the battery in our other car which was installed a year ago. At $150 I was glad it was still in warranty. Thanks for your input

Old 07-01-2017, 01:58 PM
Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts

It's easy to check if it's just the primary pump failing, pull the relay for the primary and start it up a few times. The ecm should detect the fault and switch over to the secondary and she'll start up. Happened to me a week ago, and both pumps are only a year old.

Last edited by k-man; 07-01-2017 at 02:05 PM.
The following users liked this post:
xjrfe (07-07-2017)
Old 07-01-2017, 05:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 487 Likes on 370 Posts

Using a short wire and two male spade connectors, you can make a jumper cable to jump the two power pins in fuel pump 1 relay and then listen for the pump.

xjrfe (07-07-2017)
Old 07-07-2017, 05:10 PM

Thanks so much for the information pulled the primary as you suggested and it started and kept running. Looks like it's time to pull the primary pump. Just have to decide which way I want to do it, I've seen 3 ways on line, 1. pull the tank 2 pull the tank part way out and work the tank slowly and turn on edge not removing the tank from the ledge. 3. cutting an access hole and then cover with access plate.

Old 07-07-2017, 07:31 PM

Honestly pulling the tank all the way out isnt that bad, just take your time and watch out for the wiring and connections above it in the trunk. And youll need the disconnect tool for the fuel supply and return lines underneath (Lisle 37000 Air Conditioning/Fuel Line Disconnect Tool Set). Theyll be right above the rear diff, so hopefully you havent been hitting the gym to hard or they may be a little harder to reach. And food for thought, if the primary failed likely the secondary should be replaced as well, worth the time and cost since your in there already.

xjrfe (07-18-2017)
Old 07-18-2017, 03:48 PM

Update on the problem. Number one glad we have more than one vehicle as I'm slow getting to the problem. I was getting ready to pull the tank and decided one more try with the wiring, un-plugged the white lead to the pumps and re-plugged, same on relay 4. Started the car drove it about 5 miles and has run fine since. I did buy new pumps and gaskets but really don't know what fixed it. Thanks for the inputs.

Old 07-19-2017, 02:23 PM

Chances are the primary is still inop and it's running on the secondary. Mine did this for some time without codes or complaint. Step on it and see if it's lacking oomph in the upper rev range, above 3000 rippums.

Old 07-21-2017, 10:29 AM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

The primary may work intermittently, sometimes for several days or weeks, but by the sounds of it, the pump is on the way out. I had similar symptoms with mine, until it failed completely one day.