XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Suggestions and/or experience with brake pads that produce less dust?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2018, 08:19 AM
Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Suggestions and/or experience with brake pads that produce less dust?

I am needing to replace the front brake pads on my 2002 XJ8. In the past on other vehicles that I have owned (BMW, Mercedes, Buicks, etc.) I have had friends/forums recommend brake pads that produce less dust.

Now, I KNOW that there is always the argument that these pads, often called "dustless," are harder and will NOT perform as well. Discussions of them getting too hot, warping rotors, and decreasing braking have all be set forth. I DO understand both the theory and practical application of this, but will state that it has not been the case (at least not always) in the past. It certainly has not been the case in my applications.

Specifically, would anyone who has first hand knowledge about this like to comment? I would like this post to yield comparative results instead of a theoretical analysis. I certainly know that the latter does come into play in such a discussion though.

Thanks to all.

Old 02-05-2018, 09:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,783 Likes on 2,227 Posts

I have used Akebono ceramics on most of my cars. They may need to warm up, but I don't dive into corners when I leave my house, so I don't notice the difference.

The following 3 users liked this post by RJ237:
Don B (02-05-2018), MountainMan (09-15-2022), robertjag (02-06-2018)
Old 02-05-2018, 09:05 AM
Received 12,736 Likes on 6,379 Posts

Hi Robert,

I have had good results on Jaguars with the ceramic pads from Akebono and Centric. The brake feel is slightly different than the OE pad formulation, but stopping power is excellent with noticeably reduced dust and no apparent increase in rotor wear.

Cheers,

Don

The following 4 users liked this post by Don B:
AD2014 (03-11-2018), MountainMan (09-15-2022), popeye68 (02-05-2018), robertjag (02-06-2018)
Old 02-06-2018, 04:09 PM

Are there recommended sources for these ceramic pads from Akebono and Centric?

And Don, when you say feel slightly different from the OEM, do you care to elaborate?

Thanks

Old 02-06-2018, 04:38 PM
Received 221 Likes on 172 Posts

FCP Euro is where I got my Akebono ceramics from, they were fantastic to deal with
https://www.fcpeuro.com/

The following users liked this post:
Don B (02-06-2018)
Old 02-06-2018, 07:49 PM
Received 12,736 Likes on 6,379 Posts

Originally Posted by robertjag
Are there recommended sources for these ceramic pads from Akebono and Centric?

And Don, when you say feel slightly different from the OEM, do you care to elaborate?

Regarding the feel, I sometimes notice slightly more pedal pressure required with ceramic pads compared to OE semi-metallic or organic formulations, which tend to be on the softer side for optimal feel and stopping power. But within half a mile I'm already used to the new feel, so it's never an issue.

Rock Auto and Parts Geek offer good prices on Akebono and Centric, and for those who prefer OE pads, they also carry many of Jaguar's OEM brands, including Ate, Bendix, Ferodo, Jurid, Mintex, Textar and TRW.

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 02-06-2018 at 07:57 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Don B:
AD2014 (03-11-2018), MountainMan (09-15-2022), XJRay (03-11-2018)
Old 02-07-2018, 07:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 254 Posts

We have owned 4 Jaguars over the years; currently just have one, 2002 XJR. I have experimented with various pad and rotor combinations and found that my favorite is Akebono pads with Brembo rotors. I discovered Akebono back when I still had my BMW but they seem to be particularly well suited for the Jaguar cars.

I have several twists, turns and stops before I get out of my neighborhood so I guess they are warmed up before I ever really get to the serious driving. I think the pedal pressure required is slightly more but they still feel plenty responsive. They last really well and my wheels stay clean. I can't speak to rotor wear. I'm one of those weirdos that changes my rotors every time I change my pads.

Don B (02-07-2018)
Old 02-07-2018, 09:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts

Back as I had my Volvo C30, I fitted EBC Greenstuff. It is supposed to produce a lot less dust. Well, it didn't. They just wore even quicker. The original ATE pads (no ceramic) held 100k km. The EBC a mere 40k km. I returned to ATE standard again... Sold the car with 207k km with more than 3/4 meat.

In my experience, less brake dust kx hard to accomplish. Either the compound is too hard or too soft. Hard for less wear or soft for larger particles.

I personnaly don't even care about them anymore. My rims are washed and since there are more intensive cleaners out there, burned in brake dust is a thing of the past.

Don B (02-07-2018)
Old 02-07-2018, 12:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 915 Likes on 560 Posts

I buy centric ceramics and centric cheapy rotors on rockauto for a lot of vehicles, my own and other peoples cars. Akebono makes an excellent product and I would pick that over Centric if given the choice for the application.

I did centric front ceramic pads and front rotors on my non-Brembo XKR and it was $100 all in with eBay doing one of those 20 off 100 deals.

Don B (02-07-2018)
Old 02-08-2018, 09:16 AM
Received 49 Likes on 28 Posts

I’m using Akebono pads on my 2002 XJR and just the regular steel rotors.

I haven’t noticed any real difference in performance, the only difference being no dust!

Jeroen

Don B (02-08-2018)
Old 02-10-2018, 08:33 AM

Thanks for all the comments. In regards to the Centric ceramics, Rockauto, for instance, lists at least 5 different ceramics. Is there a specific one that anyone would recommend?

BTW, I gather that there are no brake pad wear sensors on my vehicle. Is there supposed to be an "audible" from a little metal tang that rubs up against the rotor when the pads are approaching replacement time? Now, I certainly understand a noise if the pad has worn thru, but I am talking about a specifically designed feature, as were not uncommon in the 70's-90's, that was designed to let the driver know to replace the pads.

Last edited by robertjag; 02-10-2018 at 08:41 AM.
Old 02-10-2018, 10:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 342 Likes on 296 Posts

Personally -- don't find the OE pads w/ OE rotors to be all the dusty on my R's ... much less vs my MB's .. and about the same as my Lexus vehicles with the OE Ake's

When I had them a DD -- I would get 25-30k on the front pads and replace the rotors on the second go around (no cutting) rears would go at least 75k. And this was going in and out of the city often.

Don't remember any sensors. The germans love sensors ... my Porsches go off with 40% remaining .. hate those things. GM loved the noise maker -- and needed it.

robertjag (02-16-2018)
Old 02-16-2018, 08:52 PM

I'm bumping this to see if anyone can lend a comment or two on just which of the Centric ceramics they are using.

Thanks

Originally Posted by robertjag
Thanks for all the comments. In regards to the Centric ceramics, Rockauto, for instance, lists at least 5 different ceramics. Is there a specific one that anyone would recommend?

BTW, I gather that there are no brake pad wear sensors on my vehicle. Is there supposed to be an "audible" from a little metal tang that rubs up against the rotor when the pads are approaching replacement time? Now, I certainly understand a noise if the pad has worn thru, but I am talking about a specifically designed feature, as were not uncommon in the 70's-90's, that was designed to let the driver know to replace the pads.

Old 02-16-2018, 11:08 PM
Received 221 Likes on 172 Posts

Or just go with the Akebonos that everyone on here loves?

Old 02-17-2018, 06:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 250 Likes on 187 Posts

[QUOTE=robertjag;1837637]I am needing to replace the front brake pads on my 2002 XJ8. In the past on other vehicles that I have owned (BMW, Mercedes, Buicks, etc.) I have had friends/forums recommend brake pads that produce less dust......>>>

The only pads worth considering bar none are from Akebono.
They make ceramic pads specifically for XJ8's.
I have been using these pads for the last 7 years and completely eradicated
the dreaded black dust problem.
As for performance, I have had no problem and they are as responsive as any other pad.
Being ceramic, they will withstand a lot of heavy beraking....if you are that way inclined ;o))

Old 02-17-2018, 10:08 AM
Veteran Member

The whole dust issue is over blown IMO. We always used spray wax on our euro vehicles when I was a kid ... use Rejex now ....past 20 odd years.

I think the last brake issue was back in the 80's on my 70's XJS hand me down -- the OE is stuff is great for not much of a premium. When engineers design a car they spend some time picking the components ... never understood why you buy a car for a level of performance and then cut corners.

Old 03-02-2018, 06:21 PM
Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Akebono/ Brembo rotors

for me are the only way to go... My 2003( x308) has Asteroid rims and with the original brakes they were getting covered with brake dust and needed cleaning far too often. I replaced the originals with a Brembo/Akebono package ...problem solved... minimal brake dust with braking not a whole lot different from OEM.

Comment on XJR brakes,,,,fair at best, This is a heavy car and I always get the feeling that the brakes aren't stopping the darned thing fast enough especially if you're trying to come down from going like hell. To me , its the biggest "weakness" of the car. The solution I read,is the dual piston caliper and drilled rotor option but also are outrageously expensive.

Bottom line for this car that I love is to drive it such that I leave plenty of room ahead to stop it

Old 03-02-2018, 11:56 PM
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

add me to the akebono club. Great pads with zero dust

Old 03-03-2018, 06:53 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Ronco1
for me are the only way to go... My 2003( x308) has Asteroid rims and with the original brakes they were getting covered with brake dust and needed cleaning far too often. I replaced the originals with a Brembo/Akebono package ...problem solved... minimal brake dust with braking not a whole lot different from OEM.

Comment on XJR brakes,,,,fair at best, This is a heavy car and I always get the feeling that the brakes aren't stopping the darned thing fast enough especially if you're trying to come down from going like hell. To me , its the biggest "weakness" of the car. The solution I read,is the dual piston caliper and drilled rotor option but also are outrageously expensive.

Bottom line for this car that I love is to drive it such that I leave plenty of room ahead to stop it
Your brakes are not working correctly.

Jaguars have always had wonderful brakes and the X308 R's are better. It's one of the items always mentioned in the reviews for the model. Now -- stopping also requires excellent tires ... if any warning lights are illuminating while braking the tires are not doing the job.

The X308's brakes have no problem stopping the car .. even from 100 miles an hour. Controlled.

both of mine are stock ... why mess with success.

Don B (03-03-2018)
Old 03-03-2018, 11:12 PM
Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Opinions vary...Tires are brand new original Pirellis all around.. rotors are new Brembos with new aKebono pads all around. All calipers recently bled with new dot 4 fluid replaced. There is NOTHING wrong with the brake system whatsoever.... just saying that in my opinion stopping this car that weighs over 2 tons from high speed with the "standard brakes" is SCARY. Control is fine with no problems there. Its just that it takes too long in my opinion.
Besides ,if the standard brakes are as great as you claim they are , why did Jaguar offer the R option ? Could it be that many owners had voiced the same concerns about "stopping power" that I have mentioned? As we all know the XJR is incredibly fast for its sheer size and weight. Stopping the damned thing ( without the "R" )package is another story. As said previously, with that in mind , I drive accordingly

Quick Reply: Suggestions and/or experience with brake pads that produce less dust?