XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Sunroof NOT Working. Motor Spins?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 09:23 PM
Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Sunroof NOT Working. Motor Spins?

I got my 1998 XJR with an inoperable sunroof. When you pushed the buttons, it just plain didn't work. I have taken the upper console off of the roof and looked, and I saw that one of the connectors was unplugged from the black control box on the right. I plugged it in and pushed the buttons...well, the sunroof didn't open BUT the motor spun.

There is a plastic screw looking deal in the middle of the motor that spins around as the button is pushed. So I can say that the motor is definitely working...however, sunroof doesn't open.

Any suggestions on what the issue could be or where to go from here?

Old 07-07-2015, 09:38 PM
Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

The biggest regret i have with my Xjr was thinking i could actually use my sunroof. If your sunroof is level with the top of the car be thankful: make sure it never moves again. The Previous owner unplugged it for a reason.

Old 07-07-2015, 09:46 PM

My sunroof is closed and flat. You are right, it was unplugged for a reason. However, it's just a pet peeve of mine that I want my options working. I can't stand to not have it working if it is supposed to be.

Old 07-07-2015, 11:36 PM
Received 12,722 Likes on 6,373 Posts

When our sunroof stopped opening and closing even though the motor was running, I found that the main gear in the motor's gearbox had cracked. Salvaged motors are available on eBay and swapping them out is simple.

The motor for our '93 has unique mounting screw locations and is hard-to-find and expensive, so I bought a cheap '98/'99 motor and used its main gear to replace the identical gear in our '93's motor. See the photos at the link below:

Welcome to Jag-lovers - Members Photo Viewing Page

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 07-07-2015 at 11:43 PM.
The following users liked this post:
XJRay (07-08-2015)
Old 07-07-2015, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by Don B
When our sunroof stopped opening and closing even though the motor was running, I found that the main gear in the motor's gearbox had cracked. Salvaged motors are available on eBay and swapping them out is simple.

The motor for our '93 has unique mounting screw locations and is hard-to-find and expensive, so I bought a cheap '98/'99 motor and used its main gear to replace the identical gear in our '93's motor. See the photos at the link below:

Welcome to Jag-lovers - Members Photo Viewing Page

Cheers,

Don
Interesting...do you think it could be the same scenario where the plastic gear inside is broken like yours was?

Old 07-08-2015, 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by xjrjag
Interesting...do you think it could be the same scenario where the plastic gear inside is broken like yours was?
My first guess is that something is broken between the worm screw on the end of the motor and the drive point of the sunroof mechanism. You can remove two or three screws so you can drop the motor/gearbox down and hold it while it is still connected electrically. Operate the switch and watch to see if the visible gear spins.

If you can have a helper operate the switch, you can try to prevent the gear from spinning with your other hand. If the gear doesn't turn or you can prevent the gear from spinning, something is broken in the gearbox. If you can't prevent the gear from turning, something is wrong in the mechanism of the sunroof itself.

XJRay (07-08-2015)
Old 07-08-2015, 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by Mvirgil
The biggest regret i have with my Xjr was thinking i could actually use my sunroof. If your sunroof is level with the top of the car be thankful: make sure it never moves again.

I believe there is a procedure for adjusting the sunroof panel alignment in the Body section of the Workshop Manual. I did it on our XJ40 and it wasn't too difficult.

XJRay (07-08-2015)
Old 07-08-2015, 12:42 AM

My first guess is that something is broken between the worm screw on the end of the motor and the drive point of the sunroof mechanism. You can remove two or three screws so you can drop the motor/gearbox down and hold it while it is still connected electrically. Operate the switch and watch to see if the visible gear spins.

If you can have a helper operate the switch, you can try to prevent the gear from spinning with your other hand. If the gear doesn't turn or you can prevent the gear from spinning, something is broken in the gearbox. If you can't prevent the gear from turning, something is wrong in the mechanism of the sunroof itself.
Funny you should mention that because there is only one bolt holding the unit in. I remember this because when I looked at the unit, I saw two spanner wrench looking pieces coming off of the motor and the third had a grommet with a bolt in it...the other two did not. But I did see the threaded holes, so I assumed there were supposed to be two more bolts holding that motor in. I will take the one bolt off tomorrow and see if that gear on the back side turns or not. Finding the rubber grommets and replacement bolts may be a bit of a challenge though (moreso the grommets)

Old 07-08-2015, 09:05 AM
Received 7,862 Likes on 4,752 Posts

The motor is in NEUTRAL. If you put a LARGE screwdriver in the plastic gear slot and turn it slightly back and forth you should hear it CLICK and then the motor will engage the gear to move the cables.

It could also be that the spring metal cable guide plate is missing and the cables are not held against the gear teeth. (grinding noise)

As stated earlier by others, You might want to reconsider messing with it!!!!!!!!!!!
It does NOT sound like it was assembled correctly or completely and there is probably a reason. Not all the components are there.

bob gauff

Last edited by motorcarman; 07-08-2015 at 09:07 AM.
Don B (07-08-2015)
Old 07-08-2015, 05:39 PM
Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

I believe there is a procedure for adjusting the sunroof panel alignment in the Body section of the Workshop Manual. I did it on our XJ40 and it wasn't too difficult.
The problem with mine is the tilt mechnisium was broken on both sides. One side ripped out of the rail in two places and the other was bent and broke out of the tabs that held it in place. This is more then just the levers that tilt the inside trim but seriously wrecked tracks with lots of broken and bent pot metal and plastic. The roof would suck itself below the roof line and jam in all sorts of ways. I took enough of it apart to get the roof lines close on readjustment but the whole thing needs to be replaced. I wish i had pictures; just thinking about the carnage makes me cringe. No leaks or wind noise so i cut my losses.