XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

New XJR owner

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 01:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New XJR owner

Lacking anything that might resemble "sense", I just bought a 117k mile 2000 XJR from a local used car place. I did some due diligence on the car and discovered it was local car that had been serviced at the dealer for EVERYTHING ("reattached license plate bracket") for 5 years and had the updated timing chain tensioners and water pump. I think I paid a tiny bit much (I can't believe $6500 is a 'tiny bit much' but there you go) but knowing the history - the dealer didn't - tipped the balance for me.

The car runs pretty well. ABS/Trac control is dead. Rear part of sunroof shade is disconnected. Headliner is falling. Supercharger bearings seem noisy. Typical stuff.

A number of panels have been repainted but to a mostly high standard and I can't find any evidence of a big hit. Of course, I haven't put it on the lift yet.

I hope I can contribute a little tech to the forum as I figure this thing out.

Attached Thumbnails New XJR owner-img_1015_40.jpg   New XJR owner-img_1019_40.jpg   New XJR owner-img_1020_40.jpg  
Old 11-16-2009, 03:53 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,143 Likes on 749 Posts

Welcome mike, I really like the color combo. Don't see many dove interiors on the black cars.

Sounds like you have a short to-do list! Enjoy the forums.

Old 11-16-2009, 04:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

Welcome and congrats on your XJR and hope you will enjoy your Jag

Old 11-16-2009, 06:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 218 Posts

It's no wonder these cars are kept running for so long. They are timeless. Your dove interior is special. Congratulations on your find.

Old 11-16-2009, 10:57 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats! Beautiful car. I looks to be in terrific shape for year/mileage, but these cars seem to hold up very well in general. Must be the high quality materials! BTW how were you able to obtain the records? I have tried everything to get records on mine but am always blocked by the owner privacy laws!

Old 11-16-2009, 10:58 PM
jhh
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks identical to mine, and for a very similar price. I just bought a low'ish mileage (72,000) 2000 XJR (which apparently has the steel liners for some reason) from a friend in Houston. I got a great deal on the car, but knew it needed work.

Here's my list of what I need:
ASC/TRAC/ABS just went out this morning. Guessing it's a sensor. eBay seems like a cheap place to get them from.
Needs brakes due to normal wear. Opting for the ventilated rotors (eBay, again) and pads.
Headliner. =(
Needs the tensioner and water pump jobs, but it's had the metal thermostat housing installed.
Needs new tires, and I really hate the factory chrome rims. I'd much rather matte finish.
CD changer seems to start skipping randomly. Reinserting the magazine fixes it.

If I so much as look at the cruise control button, I get the restricted performance warning. I've never seen the restricted performance warning during normal driving/commuting though.

So, since I spent about the same on mine as you did on yours, you probably made out slightly better than me.

Just FYI there's a guy selling rebuilt Eaton blower snouts on eBay for cheap. Eurotoys (I think) offers a complete blower rebuild service.

Last edited by jhh; 11-16-2009 at 11:03 PM.
Old 11-17-2009, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by cadrad
BTW how were you able to obtain the records? I have tried everything to get records on mine but am always blocked by the owner privacy laws!
Unfortunately, I don't actually have the records. I showed up at the local dealer and spoke to a service manager, who was kind enough to walk through the whole history and relay to me the highlights. I'm planning to stop by again to give him a few bucks for lunch as a 'thank-you' and see if there's something he can do. The local Porsche dealer was able to easily print out a service history that didn't have any personal information for a friend's car. Maybe he can do the same.

Originally Posted by jhh
So, since I spent about the same on mine as you did on yours, you probably made out slightly better than me.
I would have jumped on that car. When you're done, you'll still have 45k fewer miles. Good luck!

Originally Posted by jhh
Just FYI there's a guy selling rebuilt Eaton blower snouts on eBay for cheap.
Thanks for the tip. I've been thinking I would start with a rebuild kit, I just haven't decided what "while I'm in there" tasks would be smart. Belts, of course. Pulleys? Any hoses that are convenient with the supercharger out? I haven't actually looked.

Old 11-17-2009, 11:25 AM
jhh
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mfennell
Thanks for the tip. I've been thinking I would start with a rebuild kit, I just haven't decided what "while I'm in there" tasks would be smart. Belts, of course. Pulleys? Any hoses that are convenient with the supercharger out? I haven't actually looked.
Let me know what you find with the hoses - some of mine are a little soft and I'll replace them preemptively if I can easily get to them.

If you want more than the blower snout replaced, look at the Eurotoys website. They offer a complete rebuild service, and they also offer a screw type blower (not an Eaton). The blower rebuild work is done through PSR and it's fairly cheap at about 500$ or so.

Old 11-18-2009, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by thirdjoker
did you have any reservations about the mileage that it has. I'm looking at an XJR also ( my 1st jaguar) and have been reading for a while. Do these really last that long that you feel you will get your moneys worth. Thanks! I am looking at a 2002 xjr-100 58,000m = $12,500.
Honestly, I'm not sure but at $6500, it's close to disposable. There are two XJRs near me for sale with 145k and 164k miles, respectively.

Hell, I've amortized it down to about $100/mile without incident already!