Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj8-xjr-x308-27/)
-   -   Swapping Jaguars? (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj8-xjr-x308-27/swapping-jaguars-212620/)

grantorino62 01-09-2019 12:37 AM

Swapping Jaguars?

I had a purchase offer from a good friend on my 2000 XJ8. My car has a replaced transmission, new coils, new brake light switch and thermostat metal housing as well as timing chain guides, I'm looking at a 96 XJ6R as a replacement, Odometer miles are about even. (110,000 miles) I will test drive the XJ6 Saturday. Am I crazy??? Every weakness on my car has been addressed, I hope. The XJ6 R has a better reputation for transmission and timing chain issues. Rarer because it has a blower and to my eye, a better classic look. Talk me out of it or cheer me on please!

dwgates 01-09-2019 05:55 AM

I was actually considering getting a 96 XJR to replace my 99 XJR for similar reasons. In looking into things on the X300 forum they've got a bunch of things to look at on the older car.
As near as I could tell the big issue seems to be the coolant hoses, one in particular that's a b*tch to get out.
The transmission has one less gear and is made by GM (by or for GM, I'm not sure which) so I would expect it to be a little less refined than the X308 but that's a guess on my part, not actual experience.

M. Stojanovic 01-09-2019 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by grantorino62 (Post 2011149)
The XJ6 R has a better reputation for transmission and timing chain issues.

Yes, duplex chains and a robust GM transmission. One of the main reasons why I bought a supercharged X308 was its strong transmission (I avoid ZF after my not so good experience with those in three 7-series BMW-s I had before). In the past, I had a Daimler Double Six with a 3-speed GM transmission - that thing was indestructible; it looked more like a transmission for a truck, not for a saloon car.

Just before I bought my current X308 (Daimler Super V8), I test drove an X300 XJR. (6) - fairly hard suspension (well, it's a "sports saloon") so be prepared for that. Otherwise, maintaining a strait-six is certainly simpler and cheaper than the V8 (and no nikasil, no bore wash and, I believe, less sensitivity to battery voltage etc.).

Carnival Kid 01-09-2019 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by grantorino62 (Post 2011149)
my 2000 XJ8........................has a replaced transmission, new coils, new brake light switch and thermostat metal housing as well as timing chain guides, !

Your car is completely sorted, no wonder your friend wants to swap cars!

Keep what you've got!

Z07Brandon 01-09-2019 05:37 PM

I don't think you are crazy at all. I like x308 xjr's more. Just wish they all had LSD. Still, I love 95-03 XJR's.

King Charles 01-09-2019 05:46 PM

Why venture into the unknown when you already have the map for your current course ?!

grantorino62 01-09-2019 08:31 PM

Not swapping with a friend. He made me a great offer and I found this 96 BRG XJR close by in the Bay area. The only negative I've seen common with this era Jag is potential rust issues. King Charles, great answer! I have a DISEASE! regarding cars, I fix them mechanically then a person makes an offer and I move on to another! This "Venturing into the unknown" has plagued me for years.I am a retired Service Mgr. and car salesman so I can spot a lemon fairly easily.

ericjansen 01-10-2019 12:35 AM

Just last days I had an other tour to the south of Taiwan.
I normally drive one of my friend's Jaguars down (350km), then drive an other one of his collection back up.
This time it was his x308 XJR down, then yesterday I came back in one of his X300 XJR.
I have also made such trips against a X300 Vanden Plas, as well as against one of his several X308 Daimlers.
Can it be better to compare?

My own personal opinion is that the x300 XJR has probably the most classical character.
The one yesterday is of particular beauty, dark green metallic outside, and light inside with the black accents and the black piano wood grain, it makes it all very pleasant for the eye, and it feels great to enter.
However, the seats are hard and short, I find the S/C sound rather annoying when accelerating (that after the 10 min of boy-fun), and everything just feels and looks just that bit older.
Fair to say that it is as quiet as the X308 at constant highway speeds.

The X308 XJR however can still go as a rather modern car, it is more refined, it looks more modern, the seats are wayyy better and longer (both XJR and Daimer), the engine / gearbox makes it a much faster car (or at least it feels that way), the overall noise is a lot less (the S/C noise never bothers me in a X308), the total concept is just different.

I know these observations are rather personal.
If you are in for a classic threat, consider the X300, she can't disappoint.
However, if it is still a daily driver, or you drive a lot of distances, I am not so sure it is the right choice for the longer term.
I get tired of the car after 200km..

M. Stojanovic 01-10-2019 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by Z07Brandon (Post 2011435)
I don't think you are crazy at all. I like x308 xjr's more. Just wish they all had LSD.

It does have LSD, only it is electronically controlled (the "traction control"). Instead of the LSD friction plates, the system uses the rear brakes to perform a similar function. The traction control is actually better as it does not cause any friction (trying to break outer, and speed up the inner, wheel) in normal turns, whereas LSD will do it, when it is not required at all. This action of the LSD just robs the transmission of some power unnecessarily.

grantorino62 01-10-2019 07:09 PM

Thanks for the rather insightful observations! My Jag is my daily driver 30 miles to work and back.I do take it to LA twice a year though.

pdupler 01-10-2019 08:14 PM

I upgraded a couple years ago to an XF as a daily driver because at 17 years old, all the plastic, rubber and vinyl on the XJ8 was starting to deteriorate. There's alot of little things that add up, like even all the speakers have gone bad from the foam around the speaker cones disintegrated (still need to get around to fixing those). I knew if I continued to drive it daily, it'd eventually all fall apart and the chances of something going wrong on my way to an important business meeting were going up exponentially at that age (not necessarily fatal as those things had been sorted, but even just a fuel pump). I briefly thought about trying to find a 2003 with lower mileage, but then I figured that would only buy me three more years. I decided that as a nice survivor, it was quite appropriate that it get to enjoy an easy retirement as a classic car. You seem to be updating backwards. Have you considered a newer Jaguar for a daily driver? Couple of the things I've really enjoyed from the update (I call it an update rather than an upgrade) is being able to stream my favorite music through my I-phone plus I like having a rear view camera.

grantorino62 01-11-2019 08:32 PM

The XJ6r is being driven to me tonight. He's coming about 60 miles to me. I'll let you know Saturday what I will do.

grantorino62 01-12-2019 10:17 PM

Drove the car last night. PRO'S Very nice interior, even a tight headliner! Everything works except the power tilt tele. wheel and the sliding sunroof, it only vents. Clock display is bright and clear. The cruise control works. 80% on the tires, no curbed wheels. Drove good, stiffer steering feel and as quiet as my car. CON's paint typical for age, spots on hood where clear is lifting a very small spot on trunk. Both bumpers need paint because of nicks & scrapes. Power steering hoses are wet. It has 101,000 miles and is unmolested. Upper end stereo and 6 CD in trunk. $2500 with a smog certificate. My 2000 XJ8 has an offer of $3500 (107,000 miles) and a 94 Cadillac Sedan DeVille. I will sell the Cad. for maybe $1500 so I'll realize $2500 positive. My dilemma is do I want another project or just wax/wash my current XJ? Being anal, I'll spend $1000 on cosmetics and $500 on the engine at a minimum.

anduha 01-14-2019 02:47 AM

It isn't too difficult to update an x300 or x308 with a modern head unit and speakers. Those paper factory speakers were the first thing to go after the tinny sound from the deteriorated foam drove me crazy. I have found the rubber, dash and leather of the Jaguars I have come across have held up surprisingly well. I have been lucky enough to come across good deals where the owners kept the cars garaged or under cover out of the sun. Any car that bakes for 17 years will look rough.

There are some advantages to the modern cars but they just don't have that classic look IMO and and most issues can be prevented with upgrades (water pump, tensioners, ABS unit). Plus a 370hp 1998-2003 XJR is a steal these days and if a nikasil engine is still going strong today after sulfur rich gas was phased out in the early 2000s it is likely unscathed, in the US at least. Just do the old blow by test before making an offer.

anduha 01-14-2019 03:07 AM

This is a tough one but I would think hard about an XJR and the first gen is the most rare. They are hard to pass up and the transmissions are a bit stouter. I would argue the GM unit in the 95-97 XJR was even more reliable than the Mercedes 722.6 in the 98-03 XJR. Both are strong but the GM was a long running design that had most of the bugs worked out, plus cheaper to fix.

Cons- X300s were more prone to rust and the bodies were not quite as stiff. Due to the transmission being slightly offset from the engine they also were not quite as smooth as the V8 X308s. Also older electronics (Ford updated to multi-plug harnesses in 1998). The XJR6 is actually only slightly faster than the NA XJ8, by about .1-.2 seconds in the 1/4 mile and 0-60. This is due to the XJ8's extra gear and more modern engine making better use of the power band. You will still feel the extra torque shove and it is tune-able but the V8 XJR will blow it's doors off. If only they sold the XJR6 manual in the US. It is over 20 years old and a limited production, parts will not be cheap. The SC six is THIRSTY.

Pros- Arguably the last pure Jaguars, the X300s, with the last, most refined, most powerful version of the vaunted Jaguar six. It is like commuting in a museum piece. IMO the original XJR 17" wheels were the most elegant. The 6 was vaunted for it's reliability and strength. GM trans solid and parts are widely available. These will not get any cheaper.

Last note, 90s Cadillacs are garbage. Had a 94' Deville Concours that ate it's tranny at 40K (Gm 4Ts were a little more suspect than 4Ls). Parts are all it is good for.

grantorino62 01-17-2019 05:02 PM

Well I made the decision. I'm keeping the XJ8. The XJ 6 R is still for sale on Craigslist for $2500. unmolested car. 101,000 miles. 510 606 3993. BRG paint, high end stereo 6 CD player. In Hayward Calif.

ericjansen 01-17-2019 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by grantorino62 (Post 2014925)
Well I made the decision. I'm keeping the XJ8. The XJ 6 R is still for sale on Craigslist for $2500. unmolested car. 101,000 miles. 510 606 3993. BRG paint, high end stereo 6 CD player. In Hayward Calif.

And as we all shared our side of the story, what are the insides for you to come to that conclusion?

King Charles 01-17-2019 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by grantorino62 (Post 2011473)
Not swapping with a friend. He made me a great offer and I found this 96 BRG XJR close by in the Bay area. The only negative I've seen common with this era Jag is potential rust issues. King Charles, great answer! I have a DISEASE! regarding cars, I fix them mechanically then a person makes an offer and I move on to another! This "Venturing into the unknown" has plagued me for years.I am a retired Service Mgr. and car salesman so I can spot a lemon fairly easily.

If I could've caught this beauty when the auction was live I would be on that very unknown path my self lol.

1976 XJ12 w/ a 454.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1976-jaguar-xj12l/

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...3fa1b1bfdb.jpg

steven300 01-20-2019 05:53 PM

I had a 96 ,great car with very few issues.got rid of it because of a lot of rust and high miles.replaced it with low mile 2001 xj8.love them both