Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj8-xjr-x308-27/)
-   -   Throttle Body replacement (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj8-xjr-x308-27/throttle-body-replacement-204601/)

JagJoe80 07-09-2018 07:38 AM

Throttle Body replacement

I recently posted on here that fault P0121and replaced the Engine Throttle Body as the car was going into Engine Safe Mode with Traction and stability faults. My reader popped up with P0121,

Since replaced and adjusting the sensor until she ticks over at 6,000 rpm she runs like a dream but on the odd occasion I need to put my foot down she cuts out and engine fail safe mode etc come on.

Has anyone any other ideas to stir]op the car cutting out.

Many thanks and hope to hear from someone with advice.

Cheers

Joseph

vincent661983 07-09-2018 02:03 PM

There is a TB rebuild service on eBay around 200ish. Thats the best and permanent solution

Highhorse 07-09-2018 02:58 PM

Here... JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource ...and be sure to prompt the Home link and bookmark the site. It will come in handy on future issues and is done by a site member. ;)

Sean B 07-10-2018 07:11 AM

did you carry out a hard reset? - Used throttles are a lottery but being in the UK we are stuck with this option, I'm not sure ASI do international shipping.
Are there any more codes?
Have your OBD reader plugged in for the next drive and see if you can replicate the fault, you may see a code, or more specifically, test the pedal position sensor via the OBD - it should give you the reading in % - you are looking for a smooth range up to 100% - if it drops off or breaks down its the PPS, if not it could be TPS - Clean the connectors with contact cleaner.
Either way if it goes into limp mode there should be a code pegged.

Jhartz 07-10-2018 09:16 AM

I am wondering if the problem might be something as simple as taking the slack out of the cable? But then, I am really unfamiliar with LPG issues.

JagJoe80 07-10-2018 10:23 AM

Sean B

Yes I carried out a hard reset. The problem only occurs when I put my foot down hard on the accelerator.

Will check connectors on PPS & TPS. The last time it went into Engine Fail Safe mode nothing came up on my OBD reader, which was strange enough. Last time it only came up as P0121.

Will revert once I've checked and thanks for the advice.

Joseph

JagJoe80 07-19-2018 10:50 AM

Sean B

Checked the PPS & TPS all look ok with contacts in good condition. There was no slack on the cable. As before , the car drive well until i need to floor the accelerator that it goes into Engine Fail Safe mode and when I plug in the reader it comes up with P0121 (Throttle body). So I made the adjustment to the sensor as described , again it runs well until i floor it.

I did notice the flap on the throttle body only open very slightly when i press down on the accelerator.

Any advice much appreciated as always.

Being in the UK I cant find anywhere that refurbish throttle bodies

Cheers

Highhorse 07-19-2018 01:05 PM

I don't know there pricing, but.... https://www.bing.com/maps?&ty=18&q=J...22255&v=2&sV=1
Here's something to review also....Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) for Throttle Bodies C2A1444 and C2A1445 Fault Code P0121 198500 3250 | Jaguar XK8 and XKR Parts and Accessories
A thread to look at... https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ncerns-159443/

JagJoe80 10-14-2018 11:36 AM

Hi everyone.

I carried out a full service on the car, checked all the connectors on the TB, all seemed ok. Hard reset carried out again. TPS looked ok.

However yesterday it went into Limp Mode AGAIN. Traction and Stability Control with the Orange warning light (Not red). I have as you will see carried out all the checks and services but still it goes into Limp Mode. I am at a lose what else to do. Would appreciate any further advice.

This time it just went into limp mode when driving on the motorway without pushing kicking it to the floor.

Confused.........

Joseph

grandell 10-14-2018 04:06 PM

ASI definitely ship internationally, and their rebuilt units are fantastic. I can't recommend them enough. Only issue you might have is that you'll need your TB out of the car for a few weeks while it gets there and back. The other option is to see if you can find a second unit and have that rebuilt by them instead.
I know you're getting TB fault codes, and actual limp mode etc, but consider giving your MAF sensor a good clean too, and possibly look at replacing it. MAF faults are usually associated with the car not responding properly when you put your foot up it, rather than easing onto the throttle

CharlzO 10-15-2018 09:08 AM

Just to add my own experience. I didn't have the same cause for mine going into 1121, mine was happening as I let off the gas or slowing down into a town. It started off slowly, once in a while, and would act better in cold temperatures. I also replaced the sensor, which may have worked for a week? Or it might have just been nice to me that week, but it kept going. At first I thought I could just deal with it, but it got worse and then suddenly took a massive turn and then the car wouldn't even run without any throttle present. At that point, I finally just buckled down and purchased a rebuilt unit. No problems since. You might be able to find a used one from someone parting out a car. Swap it out (takes about a half hour), and then send yours out to be rebuilt as a spare for when the other acts up.

JagJoe80 11-16-2018 09:53 AM

Throttle Body Refurb. London.UK.

Hi everyone.

You may have read some of my previous posts where I have had problems with my throttle body. Showing MIL, P1229 & P0121.

I purchased a used one from ebay but occasionally fault code P1229 comes up. Therefore I have found a company called Sinspeed UK in Greenwich London. They charge between £150-£250 per unit. Has anyone had dealings with this company, as the last thing I want to do is waste money.

Would appreciate anyone advice.

Cheers

Highhorse 11-16-2018 04:43 PM

This came up on my Bing search here in the U.S. ...https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/sinspeed.co.uk ...I'd be sure to read them all, both good and bad seem to go in spurts.

JagJoe80 01-30-2019 12:36 PM

Hi everyone,

Back to my Throttle Body problem. Before I try and go for a full refurbishment here in the UK. I have been advised to try by just replacing the Throttle Body Sensor as that has resolved a few people TB problems.

My next question is I have seen new Throttle Body Position Sensor for my Jaguar (X308). I have seen new ones from as little as 29.99 up to 109.00. Is there a difference or just buy the cheapest yes or no?????

Would appreciate all your advice.

Cheers

euphonium01 02-02-2019 06:52 PM

Hi JagJeo. I did an engine replacement about 4 months ago and got a TB with the 'new' engine. The one that came out (that worked fine) is in my garage with the sensors still attached if it's of any use to you? I'm in the North East UK, where the rubbish football teams are!!!
Paul

Jeroen 02-04-2019 12:39 AM

ASI does ship internationally. I just had my spare throttle body overhauled by them. In all took less than about 3 weeks. Apart from the repair and shipping cost I also had to pay about €130 in tax/duties to get it back into the Netherlands. If you are going to replace it, you also need to get gasket.

My 2002 XJR suffered from very similar symptoms as yours. In the end I managed to get it sorted by cleaning all contacts and earth points. So not just the connectors on the throttle body. I also discovered that one of the connectors was broken and was pretty loose. I undid all connectors right up to the ECU. I even opened up the ECU just for a quick visual inspection. (Earlier I had a BPM that has a loose soldering connection inside the box. Easy fix, but you need to open the box.

I would not start swapping throttle bodies until I have run out of electrical contacts, earthing points, relais that could be cleaned.

Some images on the work I did

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-d...ml#post4469547

Good luck

If you do find replacement sensors let us know.

jeroen

Imollyq 10-03-2020 04:31 PM

There is service recall on 1998-1999 throttle bodies. You should check to see if you qualify for a new one Service Action Number: S514. I do not know how to post the PDF, but I have it for you.
S514

Imollyq 10-03-2020 04:33 PM

service recall 1998-1999 XJ8 throttle issues

1 Attachment(s)
Service Action Number:
S514
I hope this helps.

Vauxi 10-04-2020 12:31 AM

With these kind problems it is vital to have livedata all the time scrolling on the screen. Only then you possible can catch what is going on. It is not useful to reconnect connectors many times and do nothning else. It is just fustrating that way. Live data has to be graphic. Just numbers don't give you any time to see what happened.