Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj8-xjr-x308-27/)
-   -   Tips for remvoing stuck valve covers (cam covers)? (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj8-xjr-x308-27/tips-remvoing-stuck-valve-covers-cam-covers-167904/)

OUScooby 08-20-2016 04:19 PM

Tips for remvoing stuck valve covers (cam covers)?

I'm trying to get my valve covers off but it appears they are "glued" on by the the old gasket maker. I don't reall have room to get a blad in between to cut the gasket maker apart, and I'd also be wored about scoring the machined surface.
Any one else experience this? Got any tips?

Addicted2boost 08-20-2016 07:16 PM

Are you absolutely sure that all 14 bolts (12 parimeter 2 in center) are loose?? Those 2 center ones are a little bit hidden. If they are all loose but still not letting loose, I'd maybe tighten at least the 2 centers, loosely install the coils and run the engine to operating temp at idle to see if the heat releases them.

OUScooby 08-20-2016 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by Addicted2boost (Post 1520038)
Are you absolutely sure that all 14 bolts (12 parimeter 2 in center) are loose?? Those 2 center ones are a little bit hidden. If they are all loose but still not letting loose, I'd maybe tighten at least the 2 centers, loosely install the coils and run the engine to operating temp at idle to see if the heat releases them.

Yes got all 12 outer bolts, and the two in the center.
Can't idle the engine, no coolant, no oil and intake off and supercharger is halfway off.

Johnny_B 08-20-2016 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by OUScooby (Post 1520071)
Yes got all 12 outer bolts, and the two in the center.
Can't idle the engine, no coolant, no oil and intake off and supercharger is halfway off.

In that case, maybe careful use of a heat gun would do the same thing?

Addicted2boost 08-20-2016 08:31 PM

I would use a type of putty knife or very flat and wide tool of some sort to carefully cavitate the gasket inward to try and break the silicone seal.

plums 08-20-2016 10:18 PM

The gaskets do not call for RTV except the little dabs in the front.

If you are sure that all the fasteners have been removed, a smart thump
sideways with the side of your fist usually does it.

You don't say how many miles or even what year, so it is pointless to
speculate about accumulated varnish.

OUScooby 08-20-2016 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by Johnny_B (Post 1520074)
In that case, maybe careful use of a heat gun would do the same thing?

Heat gun might work, I don't have one but I'll see about borrowing one.

Originally Posted by Addicted2boost (Post 1520075)
I would use a type of putty knife or very flat and wide tool of some sort to carefully cavitate the gasket inward to try and break the silicone seal.

Unfortunately with the intake manifold in the way there really isn't room to get a putty knife in there except at the very front of it.

Originally Posted by plums (Post 1520099)
The gaskets do not call for RTV except the little dabs in the front.

If you are sure that all the fasteners have been removed, a smart thump
sideways with the side of your fist usually does it.

You don't say how many miles or even what year, so it is pointless to
speculate about accumulated varnish.

Car is a 2000 XJR, 130k miles, sorry forgot to mention that, got a lot of other things to think about here, like my Jag potentially heading for the scrap heap.

larney 08-20-2016 11:41 PM

I gave a little loving nudge with a rubber mallet. They then came right off.

Vector 08-21-2016 02:06 AM

They should come off easily.

You have missed a fastener, find it before you break the cover trying to get it off.
Vector

OUScooby 08-21-2016 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Vector (Post 1520141)
They should come off easily.

You have missed a fastener, find it before you break the cover trying to get it off.
Vector

I did, the two under that bracket holding the wiring in place. I removed the two small nuts holding the bracket on, but then didn't remove the two nuts underneath holding the cam cover on.
I feel silly, but its off now.

Vector 08-21-2016 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by OUScooby (Post 1520472)
I did, the two under that bracket holding the wiring in place. I removed the two small nuts holding the bracket on, but then didn't remove the two nuts underneath holding the cam cover on.
I feel silly, but its off now.

Glad you found them before you broke the covers.

Now I can tell you: I was going for the crowbar when I decided to take one more look for fasteners, found one I had missed and off it came, easy as can be.
Vector

motorcarman 01-11-2019 09:45 AM

wrong post