Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj8-xjr-x308-27/)
-   -   Trunk Light Not Working (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj8-xjr-x308-27/trunk-light-not-working-38213/)

IcyBlueRose 06-20-2010 08:38 PM

Trunk Light Not Working

Hello,

I have a 99 XJ8 and the trunk lights have never worked (yes, I have replaced the bulbs). The trunk latch works fine, the only problem is the light in the trunk.

I checked the vehicle guide to see if I could find a fuse listed for it, but if there is, I don't know what is listed under. If there is a fuse for it, can you please tell me what it is listed as?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

benebob 06-20-2010 09:38 PM

Are you getting power to it? If not, I'd first check the switch for the light, although the fuse would be a close second.

QuadManiac 06-20-2010 10:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
There is no fuse specifically for the trunk lamps - they receive power from the Body Processor Module (BPM), as do virtually all other courtesy lamps in the car. If, for example, the map lights work then the trunk lamps are likely getting power from the BPM.

Measure to see if the lamps have power (purple/white stripe wire) on one side of the filament. From the other side of the lamp filament, the signal goes through a diode and then through the trunk lamp switch to ground, when the trunk is open. (see attached wiring diagram)

Sarc 06-21-2010 11:09 PM

Check the wiring that runs from the trunk lid into the car via the right hand trunk lid hinge..... This is a common problem area.

Checking means removing the plastic cover, then carefully removing the wiring loom materials to expose the individual wires and checking for damage.

I also had no trunk lights, and when I first looked, my loom looked perfectly ok, but I persevered and once I'd removed the loom insulation I had 2 wires that were completely cracked. This loom can also be the cause of other "strange" things going on, ie trunk says its open when it's closed, etc, etc. Best to have a good look at the other wires while you're in there

chaseatl 06-30-2010 12:57 AM

trunk lights

My trunk lights will come and go. It could be to do with the 12in subs in the trunk.

IcyBlueRose 07-03-2010 05:19 PM

Thanks

I assume I am getting power to the trunk since the button on the trunk itself works. I will have my hubby check the wiring via the steps outlined since I don't feel comfortable doing that for myself. Thank you for the helpful hints!

ka1thm 07-05-2010 10:02 PM

Location of trunk light switch?

Originally Posted by benebob (Post 215706)
Are you getting power to it? If not, I'd first check the switch for the light, although the fuse would be a close second.

<<<Mathew>>>

Brutal 07-05-2010 10:34 PM

the microswitch is mounted on the latch and you have to partially remove to it to get the switch off. part number is LNC 6242 AC. I have 1 brand new in the box I never used on mine. let me know if interested. But as already said check the wiring at the right hinge, its common to have a broken wire or 2 or 3 here.

ka1thm 07-05-2010 10:59 PM

Hello Sir,
I will look at how I can access the latch from the inside and send you a note tomorrow. Do you know of any pictures or directions that show how to trouble-shoot error codes P0171 and P0172? Thank you

Brutal 07-06-2010 09:35 AM

^^^^year and model

brittunculus 02-20-2015 06:07 AM

(XJ8 1998) The fuse went for my front cigar lighter. I replaced that and the luggage compartment lights decided to work again!! (Mystified but very pleased!!). As stated for reasons given above there is no fuse position listed for the luggage compartment lights. The fuse position for the cigar lighter is #14 and is 25AMP under the rear seat on the right as you face forward. There is a strip of spare fuses under the lid of the fuse box in the luggage compartment.