Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj8-xjr-x308-27/)
-   -   twin cooling fan motor rebuild (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj8-xjr-x308-27/twin-cooling-fan-motor-rebuild-22075/)

johnleavitt 08-06-2009 02:45 PM

twin cooling fan motor rebuild

Does anybody know where I can get motors rebuilt for the cooling fans on the twin fan setup for a 99 xjr. I remember seeing somebody advertising such a service once, but can't find it now. I have two extra motors and need them to have the bearings replaced.

JagtechOhio 08-06-2009 02:54 PM

Complete good used fan/ cowl assy for $150, if that helps.

Coventry west rebuilds alot of stuff, Motorcars might do these as well, and there is someplace called Jaguar Services near Chicago that used to do blower motors and such. No idea if any of them are any good, I'm just name-dropping.

johnleavitt 08-06-2009 04:21 PM

If the fan is the twin fan for the x308, I would love to buy one for $150. PM me and give me the details.

JagtechOhio 08-06-2009 04:42 PM

I'll be back at the 'puter later on, and get handled.

dneider 08-08-2009 10:45 AM

I have had 0 luck findings anyone who wanted to rebuild these motors. I believe motor cars sells just 1 motor for like $150. The motor casing isn't really designed to be disasembled (lots of metal tabs that have to be bent).

I pulled mine apart, the brushes were completley worn down after much research I found some replacement brushes. I should have it put back together in a couple weeks. I bought a full shroud assembly off ebay to get me back up and running.

The back spindle i believe is just mounted in a brass bearing (no balls). The front one looks to be a regular bearing. You would need to remove the t-bar that engages with the fan blade as well as a snap ring in order to get the bearing out..

What leads you to believe the nearing is bad?

Hope this helps

johnleavitt 08-08-2009 11:10 AM

On startup the motor whines for a minute or two....like a dry bearing....I have ordered a couple of good used motors, but I may still take a look at the extra motors to rebuild them as spares...I have two cars, and like having extra parts.

JagtechOhio 08-09-2009 04:01 AM

We used to call those "raceday spares". Always good to have at a critical moment.

ken@britishparts.com 08-10-2009 02:39 PM

We do a "rebuilt" single unit. It's actually a new unit that we were able to adapt to the original housing. Cost is $197.50. There is a $100 core charge for the old unit. That is refunded once we receive your old unit.

JTO's used one for $150 is very good price for the complete unit.

johnleavitt 08-10-2009 03:42 PM

Thanks Ken, I have to admit I took him up on the offer. I now have four cores. I will spend some time with them to see if I can swap some parts, etc. I appreciate the fact that you guys do a rebuilt unit.

pdog2000 07-09-2010 02:41 AM

i just spent $500 for a new one...