XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

What did you do to your X308 Today?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2018, 09:49 AM
Received 258 Likes on 210 Posts

I'm getting ready to go out and tackle putting the new hub assembly on. And I think it just got a whole lot easier. I hadn't actually unboxed the replacement, but i figured I should to start comparing and strategizing how the parking brake assembly goes on. Imagine my surprise and delight that this replacement comes fully loaded! Complete parking brake assembly in place. All I'll have to do is unhook the cable (however that works) and swap it all out. After breakfast.

Update:

Success on multiple fronts. Did take me a little fidgeting to get the old parking break gear off so that I could release the cable, and then also to figure out the parking brake cable connections. I'll update that in another thread for people potentially searching to find. After that, it was just a matter of pulling the old carrier off, straightening out the dust shield on the replacement (a little tweaked in shipping, no big issue, and then reassemble. The stupid springs are a b***h to get back on without any good toolsets - hell of a time to realize I don't own any vice grips of any sort. But I finally did manage to get that back in, after cranking the adjuster all the way open to try to minimize distance needed and so on. But enough swearing later, it went on. I ordered new rotors - that thing is toast. And also binding a little on the shoes, even with them adjusted all the way down. Not drive affecting, just adds friction upon installing the old rotor - rust helps there. So that's not a big deal, and now I have a good grasp on the parking brake assembly. I did notice that the bearing being bad allowed the ABS ring to chew a nice chunk out of the sensor, so another one of them is on order. Who knows, maybe that's what was kicking it into failsafe or brake light conditions, who knows. I reinstalled it anyway just to have something in the hole and for the wire to plug into, but it'll be replaced. Took it for a quick drive, and I have no idea why, but now my steering wheel, which had been a bit off to the counterclockwise direction, was now centered again. I have no idea how, why, or what sense it makes, but I'm not going to complain. It doesn't drive any different, it doesn't pull (didn't before either, and always tracked straight) but hey, it's an unexpected win so I'll take it. All in all, a job that should've taken about an hour and a half tops I reckon, with proper tools. Oh, and the pivot pin bearings in my old one? Toasted also. So was a good call on replacing the whole assembly. And lucky on my side, no additional work was needed to do so (I was nervous after previous comments). All in all, a good weekend. Now it's time to go get my turkey out of the oven. Working on Thanksgiving, so in thankfulness to have my car back together, today is mine

Last edited by CharlzO; 11-18-2018 at 03:07 PM.
Old 11-18-2018, 04:48 PM
Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts

It was 69F and sunny today so I dropped the top and went for a lovely drive to pick up my 15yo son. He needs the practice so I Iet him drive it home for about 40 minutes with about 25 minutes of 40-60 mph hwy driving. He did a good job and only excessively accelerated once!

Old 11-18-2018, 07:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 487 Likes on 370 Posts

Sealed the cat-muffler flanges with some Permatex Copper high temp sealant, and finally fixed a mild leak at one of those flanges. The replacement muffler I got from the junkyard had a rust damaged flange which wouldn't seal up, even with factory new flange seals. Hoping the copper stuff lasts, or I guess I'll have to find a shop to get the flanges decked or something.

Now if I could figure out my damn pulling to the side issue, and a weird sporadic howling, and the tires flat spotting, I'll only be left with squeaks and rattles! So close!

Old 11-19-2018, 02:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 470 Likes on 352 Posts

Yesterday I took my Jag on a 300 mile round trip to Whitby and back. We went for a day out, but I was secretly using the trip as a test run ahead of the 1000+ miles trip she’ll be doing at Christmas to Belgium and back. She behaved relatively well, a few little things have caught my attention which I’ll address this week whilst I’m off. One thing is the AC system requires top up, I leave mine on Auto all year round so it’s best to have it working. I need to get a bit of fluid into the only part of the car I resent, the gearbox. I’ll have a friend help me with that on Friday as it’s a 2 person job that one. I’m going to get new tyres and a battery for the car too, I noticed some cracking on the tyres and the telltale battery signs are all there too.

Shes going ring into the bodyshop today though, having a rust patch removed from the rear arch.

Old 11-19-2018, 06:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,019 Likes on 740 Posts

2 key blanks from eBay programmed via local locksmith $125.

Old 11-19-2018, 06:57 PM
Received 141 Likes on 72 Posts

Whitby is a nice day out Stu, about 30 miles from where I live. I've enjoyed a few trips there myself, and as I live about 10 miles from where Captain Cook was born, my local area and Whitby are good to visit and see where his adventures all started, The Captain Cook museum is in a small village where he was born called Great Ayton, a very popular place for tourists. Anyway, the history of the guy isn't for the Forum I guess, just really like Whitby.
Paul

Old 11-20-2018, 03:01 AM
Veteran Member

Yes, we like Whitby it’s a regular visit for us. However it’s becoming less and less enjoyable driving over there as the weight of traffic increases on the already choked road networks. I prefer to travel there on the A59 all the way, however if time is a factor the Motorway is the one to use. It’s diffi to enjoy the section between Pickering and Whitby these days too because you either get stuck behind people driving too slow, get harassed by those who want to drive too fast or have to ignore the scenery to watch out for Police speed traps. Driving in the UK is a miserable experience these days.

My my car is now in the bodyshop where I’m having the rust repaired on the rear arch and my Exhauts aligned properly.

Old 11-21-2018, 11:46 AM
Veteran Member

Detailed inside & out, also discovered my new tires were inflated to 38 PSI so I lowered the rear to 31 & front 28. Hmm now looking @ the pics I see the door jambs need attention lol. Wood refinishing & seat touching up comes early 2019 !

Old 11-22-2018, 06:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,351 Likes on 926 Posts

Originally Posted by King Charles
Detailed inside & out, also discovered my new tires were inflated to 38 PSI so I lowered the rear to 31 & front 28. Hmm now looking @ the pics I see the door jambs need attention lol. Wood refinishing & seat touching up comes early 2019 !
KC, one word of advice, based upon re-furbishing several Daimler's and my own seats in the last months.

First clean, and keep cleaning.
I bet 90% is deep dirt / grease, and only very little (the usual spots / panels) will need some patch-up dye.
I removed most of my 'last 5 year' patch-up repairs last month, as there was actually healthy and colored leather underneath them, only to be found after a deep-clean in good light.

I also found that the 1 dollar water-like leather cleaner I buy in my local shop works better for deep-cleaning than anything more fancy.
Hand warm water, some dish washer, and a soft brush is a very good second.
Just be sure you use a very good conditioner after all is done.

Last edited by ericjansen; 11-22-2018 at 06:19 PM.
The following users liked this post:
King Charles (11-22-2018)
Old 11-23-2018, 05:24 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ericjansen
KC, one word of advice, based upon re-furbishing several Daimler's and my own seats in the last months.

First clean, and keep cleaning.
I bet 90% is deep dirt / grease, and only very little (the usual spots / panels) will need some patch-up dye.
I removed most of my 'last 5 year' patch-up repairs last month, as there was actually healthy and colored leather underneath them, only to be found after a deep-clean in good light.

I also found that the 1 dollar water-like leather cleaner I buy in my local shop works better for deep-cleaning than anything more fancy.
Hand warm water, some dish washer, and a soft brush is a very good second.
Just be sure you use a very good conditioner after all is done.
Yes I have Gliptone cleaner & conditioner here on hand, I'll get on this soon.

Old 11-25-2018, 07:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 317 Likes on 190 Posts

Couple days ago, replaced the leaking coolant fill tank, and replaced the hard plastic coolant lines.

Will be doing the upper shock mounts later this week.

Old 11-25-2018, 07:57 PM
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Changed the cracked EGR Pipe (tube) .. was a little challenging getting it back together, getting egr to pipe gasket in and lined up... but no extra pieces when I was done …

Old 11-26-2018, 01:52 AM
Veteran Member

Yesterday I cleaned, polished and hoovered my XJ8, then pulled the cover out and put it on the car. I then packed for a week away on a course for work, jumped in a diesel powered, low spec BMW 1 Series and had an uncomfortable 5 hour drive down south. I'll now spend the next 5 days missing my beautiful, comfortable Jag.

Old 11-26-2018, 04:12 AM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Old 11-26-2018, 04:13 AM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Z07Brandon
Couple days ago, replaced the leaking coolant fill tank, and replaced the hard plastic coolant lines.

Will be doing the upper shock mounts later this week.
front or rear?

Old 11-28-2018, 03:35 AM
Veteran Member

Found the ever elusive wood steering wheel in Sable/SDZ & great shape !

Also got an appt. this am for an alignment.

ericjansen (11-28-2018)
Old 11-28-2018, 07:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,008 Likes on 613 Posts

Originally Posted by King Charles
Found the ever elusive wood steering wheel in Sable/SDZ & great shape !.
KC, congrats, you will love that steering wheel, so much more pleasing to the eye and the touch than the standard type.

Old 11-28-2018, 12:34 PM
Received 59 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Upper Shock Mounts

My new shock mounts came in the mail yesterday, so this morning I thought I'd have a go. Thanks to Carnival Kid's instructions, the installation went off without a hitch.
From the time I dug out my floor jack, to the time I put it away and wiped my fingerprints form the engine bay and hood, 50 minutes.
I wish all the upgrades were this easy.
Thank you again Carnival Kid

The following 2 users liked this post by cliveb:
Carnival Kid (11-28-2018), xjay8 (11-29-2018)
Old 11-28-2018, 02:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,008 Likes on 613 Posts

Originally Posted by cliveb
My new shock mounts came in the mail yesterday, so this morning I thought I'd have a go. Thanks to Carnival Kid's instructions, the installation went off without a hitch. From the time I dug out my floor jack, to the time I put it away and wiped my fingerprints form the engine bay and hood, 50 minutes. I wish all the upgrades were this easy.Thank you again Carnival Kid

cliveb (11-28-2018)
Old 11-28-2018, 03:13 PM
Veteran Member

Just back from the alignment, everything tracks laser straight now, very pleased !

Quick Reply: What did you do to your X308 Today?