XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

What did you do to your X308 Today?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 12:09 PM
Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by xjay8
Hahaha....I learnt a long time ago that paw prints are much easier to remove than claw scratches! ;o)
Normally our two catsa don't do it ....there is just this single track of prints...perhaps curiosity?
Or perhaps there's a new cat in town

Old 01-27-2013, 03:23 PM
Received 117 Likes on 54 Posts

New brake pads, bought new trim piece that goes around the radio, new antenna, new air filter, new transmission mount, 2 engine mounts, upper shock bushings, buying new wheels, bought caliper paint to freshen up the ones on there, new magna flow exhaust going in next week(2.5 in, would like 3in), new lightweight rotors looks to be coming also........ oh, looking for new front seats, most likely going to re-upholster them with diamond stitching... Prepping everything for a twin screw, was even considering rebuilding the engine or swapping out for a 4.2.... I love this damn car.

Anyone have opinions on BBS Milan wheels vs Asteroids?

I past the point of either getting a new car or restoring this one... So the Jaguar is staying with me for a very long time

Last edited by princemarko; 01-27-2013 at 03:28 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Safi (01-27-2013)
Old 01-31-2013, 02:34 PM
Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts

flushed the coolant, and aligned my bonnet, man oh man, she was a bugger

Old 01-31-2013, 02:42 PM
Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts

I am rebuilding the top end on my engine, today I removed all the valves out of both heads. and started cleaning everything up.

Old 01-31-2013, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Roger77
I am rebuilding the top end on my engine, today I removed all the valves out of both heads. and started cleaning everything up.
how many miles? and how do your heads look?

Old 01-31-2013, 05:56 PM
Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts
Old 02-06-2013, 02:55 PM
Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

Replaced steering wheel. Previous owner had cover on totally worn out wheel. Now nice and shiny wood!

Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your X308 Today?-dsc00367.jpg   What did you do to your X308 Today?-dsc00368.jpg   What did you do to your X308 Today?-dsc00370.jpg  
Old 02-06-2013, 05:35 PM
Received 280 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by robertjag
Replaced steering wheel. Previous owner had cover on totally worn out wheel. Now nice and shiny wood!

MUCH better!

I just replaced the original NGKs (84K) with Iridium NGKs. Will do wife's on Saturday.

Old 02-06-2013, 07:59 PM

jealous, for one you have a wood Wheel, which i fancy quite a bit, the second being there being sun where your at

Old 02-07-2013, 12:07 AM
Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Safi
jealous, for one you have a wood Wheel, which i fancy quite a bit, the second being there being sun where your at
Temps in the low 50's at dawn, 73 at noon and with crystal clear skys. And this is our typical day this time of year.

Wooden wheel was one of those ebay things for about $ 65.00 plus shipping. It did take a long time for me to find and VERIFY that it was an Oatmeal color. Often times the little tag on the steering wheel is missing or they just don't list it.

I love how may sellers describe every color in these Jags as "beige."

Oh, and I was a real rebel. Changed the steering wheel with out disconnecting the battery (like I read some other maverick post!)

Last edited by robertjag; 02-07-2013 at 12:09 AM.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:30 AM

Oh, and I was a real rebel. Changed the steering wheel with out disconnecting the battery (like I read some other maverick post!)
Wow! And the airbag did not explode in your face!!?

Old 02-08-2013, 10:30 AM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

DROVE!!! mine home today "sick of doing 55mph all week" in truck

Old 02-08-2013, 10:19 PM
Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Replaced Head Lamp bulbs

I'm not very fond of the stock light appearance in my XJR, made the car look a bit dated IMO. Wanted to change up to something different, more modern. Decided to go with blue lights upfront.

For hi and lo beams I bought HELLA H83145112 H7 12V/55W High Performance Xenon Blue Halogen Bulb Set. Thought they would emit blueish light (doesn't the name say xenon blue halogen? you'd think, right?). Nope. They are whiTER than stock and have much better range, but no blue. Just purchased Nokya Arctic White Stage 1 (55W) bulbs. I will replace my lo beams only and retain Hellas as high beams. The blue bulbs do not have superior range but are fine for around town. On super dark roads I can use all the range I get, hence keeping the "white" hi beams. Will share my opinion when I get Nokyas installed.

For the 5W park lamps in the hi beam lamp, I got AutoVizion T10 (194/168) Wedge Super Blue LED Light Bulb. Had to play around with the contacts as they were not making good connection in the socket. Easy mod. These are VERY blue, almost cop blue. Not sure if I really like them but its different. I will see how the front end will look with the Nokya Arctic White.

For the fog lamps, I got Sylvania 9006 CB Cool Blue Halogen Headlight Bulbs. I have not installed these yet. My lower splash shield needs to be replaced and I just got it from the dealer. Will replace the shield same time I'll do the bulbs.

I also got a box of Eiko 42438 - 194B Miniature Automotive Light Bulbs for misc. interior lights and rear license lighting.

I will post pics when its all done.

The following users liked this post:
Graham Royls (02-27-2013)
Old 02-09-2013, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Tirefriar
I'm not very fond of the stock light appearance in my XJR, made the car look a bit dated IMO.

It's interesting to see that we all like the same model, but for different reasons. I like X308 because it looks "classic" (I don't dare call it dated!). I would never change anything from original, and that includes the lights too.

I wish I could find one like this that someone "forgot about" in some warehouse with no mileage, and no prior ownership.

I can go out today, and buy a brand new model if I want to. But I don't like their exterior, and in most cases the interior too. Making a classic car look more "modern" (carbon fiber comes to mind!), is a mistake IMO, but we all live in the free world, so to each his own.

I think Duesenberg would look funny with "updated" lights, carbon fibre, Chinese metal pedals, neon undebody lights, and "updated", multicolored radios.

As an avid gun collector, I visit few gun forums too, and you see so many youngsters "modernizing" AK47 (for example), with "tactical" (or "tacticool") lights, lazers, optics,...etc. We call it "bubbarizing" the classic design.

Plenty of these X308s had a visit from Bubba (I just discovered a "Bubba" solution to the broken coolant line on my wife's car yesterday), in their lifetime. I appreciate X308 for what it is. It's not meant to have Xenon, neon, and cheese.

And this whole tirade is NOT directed to you Friar for wanting to change the lights. Just that your post provoked the thought about different reasons we like the X308.

Old 02-12-2013, 05:27 PM
Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts
Default New Skins

Put on a set of Michelin Super Sports yesterday. Pricey yes, but what a difference from the Pirelli P Zeros! All of a sudden my R has a completely new attitude and has become a joy to drive again.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:01 PM
Received 110 Likes on 83 Posts

+1 SMTguy, they really are great. Most people run all-season tires on
this car but a set of A/S tires really doesn't suit the car.

My PSS have been great. At $274 each they are pretty cheap cons-
idering the warranty for 30,000 miles/ performance and grip.

Old 02-14-2013, 03:23 PM

Happy Valentines day to you and your cats, today i let my kitty go fast, giving me a sensation of love..

Old 02-14-2013, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Safi
Happy Valentines day to you and your cats, today i let my kitty go fast, giving me a sensation of love..
I drove mine nice and slow around town. Like a guy who is in no hurry, doesn't have anyone to answer to, and whoever is waiting for him, can wait!
What a pleasure it is not to have any superiors/bosses/stock holders/boards/etc.
And the Cat loves the slow, deliberate moves, ready to pounce with the slightest push on the throttle. Just like a real cat,....slow moving and elegant, but **** her off, and all hell breaks loose!

Old 02-14-2013, 03:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

Originally Posted by danielsand
I drove mine nice and slow around town. Like a guy who is in no hurry, doesn't have anyone to answer to, and whoever is waiting for him, can wait!
What a pleasure it is not to have any superiors/bosses/stock holders/boards/etc.
And the Cat loves the slow, deliberate moves, ready to pounce with the slightest push on the throttle. Just like a real cat,....slow moving and elegant, but **** her off, and all hell breaks loose!
Works pretty good when you *need* to get into the next lane from a redlight because you got squeezed out by traffic.

With the big tires, there is very little drama. You just happen to reach the open space faster than everyone else

Old 02-14-2013, 08:48 PM

i was in no hurry, i just felt like letting the Jag loose, just for the hell of it

Quick Reply: What did you do to your X308 Today?