Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default What we did to our XJ8

New tensioners installed
ABS module replaced
New suspension parts
New battery

Old 05-31-2014, 12:03 PM
Received 131 Likes on 67 Posts

I said goodbye to Hope last night. I passed her on to someone who will take excellent care of her. Bittersweet goodbye. Looking for an 04-06 XJ8 now...

Old 06-03-2014, 06:07 PM
Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by ragman1171
I said goodbye to Hope last night. I passed her on to someone who will take excellent care of her. Bittersweet goodbye. Looking for an 04-06 XJ8 now...

Good luck on the new search and lets see some pics over here once you find your new "her".

Chris

Old 06-03-2014, 06:14 PM

Installed a 3 1/2" intake assembly I purchased from Dan Hiatt.

If it is worth 15hp, then I am in amazement that 15hp is that noticable. I have had 12 sec Mustangs, big block Mustangs, blah blah blah...and the change is incredible compared to mods more substantial that I have done to those cars and did not seem to feel it as much.

Maybe its all smoke and mirrors, so until I go to the strip I wont know.

No noticable increase in intake sound, but the whine from the blower seems much more audible, it climbs faster to redline and doesn't seem to run as rich under full throttle, which is a good thing.

Wow

Chris

Old 06-03-2014, 10:01 PM
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche407
Where'd you get it? Mina?
Grabbed my upper and lower grill insert from AllAutoToys at an excellent price!

Old 06-03-2014, 11:18 PM
Received 221 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Badbenz94
Installed a 3 1/2" intake assembly I purchased from Dan Hiatt.

If it is worth 15hp, then I am in amazement that 15hp is that noticable. I have had 12 sec Mustangs, big block Mustangs, blah blah blah...and the change is incredible compared to mods more substantial that I have done to those cars and did not seem to feel it as much.

Maybe its all smoke and mirrors, so until I go to the strip I wont know.

No noticable increase in intake sound, but the whine from the blower seems much more audible, it climbs faster to redline and doesn't seem to run as rich under full throttle, which is a good thing.

Wow

Chris
Is it just a straight pipe? I wonder how much of the noise is because of the lack of those small resonating tubes that stick out of the stock intake.

Have you had your TB bored out as well?

Old 06-03-2014, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by grandell
Is it just a straight pipe? I wonder how much of the noise is because of the lack of those small resonating tubes that stick out of the stock intake.

Have you had your TB bored out as well?
I will have to take a pic, its from the TB forward. Here is a partial pic, its Dan's old one,
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...talled-112839/.

No work on the TB yet..

Chris

Old 06-04-2014, 12:52 PM
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I snapped up a 99 VDP with the Supercharger option... one owner with 50k miles 3 weeks ago. just arrived. I ordered new coil packs, iridiums, coolant temp sensor, fuel filter, airfilter, tranny filter and the good stuff. This Saturday is going to be a GRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreat day!

Old 06-04-2014, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Rlover
I snapped up a 99 VDP with the Supercharger option... one owner with 50k miles 3 weeks ago. just arrived. I ordered new coil packs, iridiums, coolant temp sensor, fuel filter, airfilter, tranny filter and the good stuff. This Saturday is going to be a GRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreat day!
Congrats!! Post pics when you can.

Chris

The following users liked this post:
Rlover (06-07-2014)
Old 06-04-2014, 02:25 PM
Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Hi
Monday i have changed the Left side secondary tensioner so the engine is like new now at 172k km. To day i polish the Tailpipe. I must change the FLEXIBLE COUPLING, supercharger oil, rear drive oil RAVENOL Getriebeoel SLS SAE 75W-140 GL 5 LS RAVENOL Getriebeoel SLS SAE 75W-140 GL 5 LS - Ravenol , gear box oil RAVENOL ATF M 9-Serie RAVENOL ATF M 9-Serie - Ravenol and filter, both belt and rebuild the alternator in the future.
I want to keep my car in good shape. I have this car since October 2013. I always kept my cars at least 10 years.

Old 06-07-2014, 10:21 PM

Remember More Air in You need to get that air out. Chris/XJRproto, made me a mandrel bent intake with 3.5" coming out of the TB, delete the two dead ends and I piped it directly into the stock airbox and left the snorkel in place. Stainless steel SC pulley from Powerhouse in UK, deleted stock CATS/make sure to install angle o2 fittings into a BORLA Exhaust. It was ****ing faster than stock and is making 400hp IMO. SOUNDS LIKE a muscle car at that.

Old 06-07-2014, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by Rlover
Remember More Air in You need to get that air out. Chris/XJRproto, made me a mandrel bent intake with 3.5" coming out of the TB, delete the two dead ends and I piped it directly into the stock airbox and left the snorkel in place. Stainless steel SC pulley from Powerhouse in UK, deleted stock CATS/make sure to install angle o2 fittings into a BORLA Exhaust. It was ****ing faster than stock and is making 400hp IMO. SOUNDS LIKE a muscle car at that.

Nice!! I think that may be a great idea, I like the idea of using the stock air box. Yes, the exhaust is on my list. Im planning on going 2 1/2 from the cats, x-pipe, into Flowmaster 40's(if they fit) and pipe it out. Im not sure if that will be too loud, its what I had on my Mustang and I thought it was perfect. Nice little rumble at idle and no resonance at speed and audible when floored.

Old 06-07-2014, 10:40 PM

Thank you Chris. I have been looking fir a VDP/SC model since i let a 98 get away over $500 bucks in 2008. I have searched craigslist in NY/NJ/CA/Florida and Pacwest almost on a daily basis for the past six years. About $20,000 in service records. From Bilstiens in 2010, SC rebuild to the fuel pumps in 2012 and just everything in between. It was like Xmas for me today! I woke up at 630am and was at my buds shop an hour later. Changed every fluid from rear end to SC snout to flushed the Trans with 12 quarts.( drain fitting/drain-fill-empty repeat Belts, did the fuel filter(cursed the Jag engineer for placement of the FF) the coil packs were original denso, new iridiums, clean MAF, OIL CHANGE was 1st, 10/40 royal purple and two v8 engine restore put it outside and let it idle for two hours widths seafosm in the case, set up my work area, ate breakfast back in the lift and repeated oil change with new filter, 5 quarts of 10/40 RP and two quarts of Lucas synthetic stabilizer. I stood on my feet all told for 10hrs. Almost forgot cleaned antenna mast/greased and cleaned the sunroof channels and greased. What a greeeeat day. Going to VT this coming week and will floor the **** out of the car and blow out all the ****ing carbon then do another RP oil change.

Th
Congrats!! Post pics when you can.

Chris

Old 06-07-2014, 10:44 PM

It's loud, and I used flow masters as well. The stock cats are what makes those cars so quiet. It is loud but its a good loud. Minagallery has the cheapest Borla car back. Btw, whilst the exhaust us down change knuckles in your prop shaft easier. Great time to undercoat as well.
Nice!! I think that may be a great idea, I like the idea of using the stock air box. Yes, the exhaust is on my list. Im planning on going 2 1/2 from the cats, x-pipe, into Flowmaster 40's(if they fit) and pipe it out. Im not sure if that will be too loud, its what I had on my Mustang and I thought it was perfect. Nice little rumble at idle and no resonance at speed and audible when floored.

Old 06-18-2014, 08:12 PM
Received 221 Likes on 172 Posts

Finally heard back from ASI about a rebuilt throttle body!
Hopefully payment will go through soon, and then the unit will be sent to Maxbore to be bored out, before making it's way over here, hopefully within about 2 weeks.

Also, in the weekend I replaced my old high stop light with a unit I bought on Ebay. The old one had every one of the 6 tabs broken off, so was long overdue for replacement. The new unit had received a little bit of damage in transit, and the clips that hold the light pack into the unit had broken, but a bit of glue and an afternoon in the sun to cure sorted that out.
I also reinforced the tabs that hold the back cover on, using a couple of bits of old cable ties, just to give a bit of strength across the point where they commonly break.

In other news, I'm still really happy with the stereo! Unfortunately it's not as loud as I was hoping for, but it is beautifully clear, and you definitely notice the bass. Music sounds so much more complete than before.

I have also bought a marine grade battery switch which I will install in the boot, next to the battery. This means when I take the car to the local Jaguar dealer to get the throttle body replaced, they can isolate the battery, without having to disassemble the entire stereo install. I went a bit overkill... it's rated at 600amps continuous... but if it saves me from paying even an hour of extra labour, it will have paid for itself.

Old 06-19-2014, 03:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 365 Likes on 262 Posts

From a previous post, where the two rear emblems were replaced with new ones, I decided to give a try at fixing my existing ones by polishing, instead. I used polishing compound gradually, from rough to fine and it came out 100% better than what it was, me thinks... In looking at the pics I see what I did not see with my glasses; it does need to be more shiny, so I''ll work it a little more. But it can be done without spending a penny.

Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your X308 Today?-cimg2552-b.jpg   What did you do to your X308 Today?-cimg2559-b.jpg   What did you do to your X308 Today?-cimg2549-b.jpg  
Old 06-19-2014, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Forcedair1
From a previous post, where the two rear emblems were replaced with new ones, I decided to give a try at fixing my existing ones by polishing, instead. I used polishing compound gradually, from rough to fine and it came out 100% better than what it was, me thinks... In looking at the pics I see what I did not see with my glasses; it does need to be more shiny, so I''ll work it a little more. But it can be done without spending a penny.
Huge improvement and no money spent! .

Chris

Old 06-21-2014, 07:52 AM
Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Hi
I have changed today all the idler pulleys bearings. Brand of the bearings SKF.
Monday i will change the serpentine belt. Length of the belt is 2345 mm. Length of the supercharger belt is 1310 mm. I have the metal idler pulley. At the moment no more ugly sound from the idler pulleys. A few days ago i fix the CD changer, now works perfectly. The power antenna is broke i must fix it.

Old 06-21-2014, 03:24 PM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Today:
NGK Iridium spark plugs
Napa Gold air filter

Tomorrow:
New battery from O'Reilly's
Castrol 5W30 oil
Wix oil filter

Old 06-21-2014, 04:29 PM
Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Replaced the

1 complete outside passenger side folding mirror .

2Replaced passenger side front door lock latch actuator

Quick Reply: What did you do to your X308 Today?