XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Wow... Catastrophic sidewall splitting on my XJR. New tire recommendation?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 10:30 AM
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Wow... Catastrophic sidewall splitting on my XJR. New tire recommendation?

I've got a set of barely used (LOTS of tread) goodyear eagle GT z-rated on my 02 XJR and had no real complaints until now... Was prepping my jag for another long road trip out to California and noticed that the drivers side tire has a massive split around 3/4ths of the tire, right in the sidewall below the tread. The depth and seriousness of the split makes me very surprised I didn't blow the tire...

Anyway, a trip to the tire store with the intention of buying a pair of these things led me to discover that they are discontinued. A little google-fu showed quite a few people commenting about sudden and unexpected splits on the sidewall on nearly new tires.

I've decided I should probably replace the whole set - partly because I don't want mismatched tires, and partly because I'm not sure how much I trust the remaining three.

So, my question to you is, what tires should I be swapping onto this bad boy?

Do I need "xl" rated tires?

255/40ZR18 95Y?

255/40ZR18xl 99Y?

asymmetric pattern?

Is there a particular brand/tire you'd recommend? The tire shop is recommending a set of michelins but I figured I'd fly the question past some experts first.

Old 08-05-2014, 12:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 342 Likes on 296 Posts

How old are they?

Everyone has a different idea on tires ... I may try Continentals next.

I don't like Michelin tire on the jags .. the side walls are too hard.

Old 08-05-2014, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by yeldogt
How old are they?
Manufacture date sometime in early 2012. Supposedly getting a credit for the tire that is destroyed.

Not too worried about the money on this at any rate, I'm just looking for the best option.

Old 08-05-2014, 12:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 342 Likes on 296 Posts

Thats scary -- I did a set of the Eagle's many years ago -- the ones made in germany .. nice tire.

Old 08-05-2014, 12:32 PM

Yeah, I've been pretty happy with them up until the present issue. They stick like glue and ride reasonably nicely.

The crazy thing is this happened on a front tire. I imagine if it were on the rear during one of my more spirited driving sessions it would have torn itself apart. Total manufacturer defect.

Old 08-05-2014, 01:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts
Default New Tires

I recently replaced the tires on my 97XK8. I had read a review on the forum about NITTO MOTIVO tires. They were reasonably priced and they handle great. The Michelins I took off just didn't seem to grip and fealt sloppy. I was impressed with the new tires. Ordred a set for my XJ8.

Old 08-05-2014, 04:48 PM
Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

I'm on my second set of Kumho LEs. Best overall tire I've had on there for my use. The Contisports were LOUD on concrete that I replaced and also not so sporty, they are a good performance (autox with 'em a couple times) only downside is they're done after about 15k but for those 15k they stick like no others this side of a quasi slick. Expect to pay around $650 for a set but Kumho does usually have some rebates out there.

Old 08-05-2014, 05:21 PM
Received 93 Likes on 64 Posts

I'll second the Kumho Ecsta LE Sports. I absolutely loved them on my 2000 XJR. Lots of grip, very good steering response and feedback, nice linear breakaway, good ride, fairly quiet, and lasted 40,000 HARD miles.

I very recently moved to Hankook Ventus V12 Evo K110s (because they were on closeout), and I don't like them quite as well as the Kumhos. They ride significantly better, are absolutely silent, and offer a similar level of overall grip, but the superior ride comes from less sidewall stiffness, so handling feel and transitional response are markedly worse. It's a little floaty now, which it wasn't at all with the Kumhos. Not at all a bad tire, just a different focus. They are very similar tires, with the Kumhos being geared a little more towards handling and the Hankooks being geared more towards ride comfort.

The other tire I've had great luck with in the past is the Bridgestone RE760 sport. Great all season tire. But IMO the Kumho Ecsta LE Sport or the Hankook ventus V12 Evo are the best tires available for the Jag. 98% of the performance of Pirellis or Michelins at 30-50% the cost.

Old 08-05-2014, 05:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,341 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Originally Posted by xjrmageddon

Do I need "xl" rated tires?

255/40ZR18 95Y?

255/40ZR18xl 99Y? WHY NOT!

asymmetric pattern? YEP

Is there a particular brand/tire you'd recommend? The tire shop is recommending a set of michelins but I figured I'd fly the question past some experts first.
I've always liked Quartz XJRs nearly bought one

I understand the 95/99y rating but who decided adding xl - it's the same thing no?
anyway I use 99y for the added stiffness in the tire.
I've had experience of Michelin pilot sport 2's not a bad tire but there's better cheaper.

I'm happy with the tires I run and would recommend them Bridgestone Potenza RE50A
Not had the ASC/TRAC flash at me since using these. Did with the michelins.

Attached Thumbnails Wow... Catastrophic sidewall splitting on my XJR. New tire recommendation?-potenza_re050a.jpg  
Old 08-06-2014, 05:51 AM
Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean B
I've always liked Quartz XJRs nearly bought one

I understand the 95/99y rating but who decided adding xl - it's the same thing no?
anyway I use 99y for the added stiffness in the tire.
I've had experience of Michelin pilot sport 2's not a bad tire but there's better cheaper.

I'm happy with the tires I run and would recommend them Bridgestone Potenza RE50A
Not had the ASC/TRAC flash at me since using these. Did with the michelins.
Good info on the Pilot Sport ,think i stay with the Bridgestones even though they gave me a ASC/TRAC sometimes or the Pirelli P zero with J or JRS code {Jaguar certified}.

Dont forget Vredestein Sessanta tires ,i have had them before and they do great they can top with the Pirelli and Bridgestone ,at a much lower price..

Old 08-06-2014, 04:46 PM
Received 90 Likes on 64 Posts

I use Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus on my 2000 XJ8. Last purchased 2011.

Check Tire Rack.com & read the reviews/ratings & get a price to compare to local tire shops.

http://www.tirerack.com/index.jsp

I use Discount Tire since free rotations & free balancing each rotation.

Also have use Sears in the past.

Old 08-06-2014, 06:16 PM
Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Iconoclast
I use Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus on my 2000 XJ8. Last purchased 2011.

Check Tire Rack.com & read the reviews/ratings & get a price to compare to local tire shops.

http://www.tirerack.com/index.jsp

I use Discount Tire since free rotations & free balancing each rotation.

Also have use Sears in the past.

Me too and they WILL match their prices without S&H if you force their hand a little(sometimes they are actually lower).

Chris

Old 08-06-2014, 07:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,769 Likes on 1,303 Posts

I used Discount Tire for my Eagles on my VDP/R and will never use them again. Their warranty is a joke as I found out having to replace one of my Eagles. You have to purchase another warranty on the new tire when they replace it. So a tire I paid $181 ($25 per discount, $155), plus the $22.75 original replacement only warranty (R&B is another $16) is now $194.75 and the replacement tire with a new warranty is now $226.75. Even though the factory should have covered it, but since it was a discontinued item, they wouldn't honor it.
I had an issue with Uniroyals on another vehicle with Tire Kingdom. They replaced all 4 tires because of a defect and the warranty still carried over. I cannot recommend Discount.
As for a type of tire, I love Pilot Sports on my VDP/R and they were incredible, though I only got 9500 miles outta them. I had them up to 155 and were smooth as hell and I felt like I was riding a rail. I took a sweeping onramp rated at 45 at 85 at the pinnacle of the curve and probably could have pushed a couple more mph's out of it, I rolled off at 110 and up to the 155. That Lexus 460 didn't dare follow.
I replaced the brick hard push in the corner Conti's of the previous cheap owner with the sticky Michelin's. I put on the Eagles this time because I paid $926.55 vs $1400+ (money was a little tight then) and I got a 55k warranty, the Mich's are only warranted as long as there is tread. Mine were skin smooth when pulled off and collapsed like a drag tire.
I like the sidewall on the 255/40 Eagles. Being taller, they fill the well a bit better and take bumps softer. I just make sure I'm not racing anyone on that ramp with them

Old 08-06-2014, 09:06 PM
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,421 Posts

For a more performance oriented tyre have a look at the Nitto NT05.

I have a set on my XJR, and they are really sticky, a very soft compound and I could really tell the difference at the drag strip compared to the other UHP's that i'd had on the car (Falken 452's and Mickey Thompson Street Comp)

I would not recommend the Mickey Thompsons...at all...

Old 08-06-2014, 09:14 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I run michelin super sports and love them but I have a hook up at discount tire so they were cheap!

Old 08-06-2014, 09:24 PM

Thanks so much for all the replies... You've given me a few things to think about. Now to decide.

Oh, and Sean! I liked the quartz too - but truth be told I prefer the black on black .

So much so, I bought the black on black first - and wrecked it six days later (got sandwiched between a bus and an SUV after some idiot walked in front of the bus and into traffic - I was able to stop safely, the person behind me wasn't so quick on the brakes and CRUUUUUNCH, both ends, 17,000$ in damage before the appraiser popped the hood).

Took me months to find a replacement, and with black nowhere to be found (would have -loved- to find a 100), I settled for my second choice.

It's been an awesome car though. No complaints. Previous owner babied the hell out of it and outside of needing a couple badges replaced it's basically flawless. Just... Once you go black...

(funny sidenote: I owned my black XJR 6 days, and washed it 3 times - I live in a dusty desert, so I probably would have grown to hate it - quartz definitely cleans up a little easier)

Last edited by xjrmageddon; 08-06-2014 at 09:26 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Sean B (08-07-2014)