XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

XJ8 help with VIN and parts

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 05:38 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default XJ8 help with VIN and parts

Hello all,

After a loooong long search (in several countries, actually), I managed to get the perfect present for my dad, to fit both budget and demands. Yup, a 3.2 X308. But being the obssesed that I am, I want to gift him the car (he has no clue) in as good a condition as I can afford. I've taken it to a repair shop I trust and, as I had hoped, cat's in great shape for her 20 years and aprox. 150 k (yes, gearbox completely redone with the bills to prove it, so's the timing kit).

But there are some parts that need replacing. Now I have two problems with those, and I'm in dire need of advice:

1. My repair guy says his supplier's software doesn't recognise the car's VIN, and so can't provide him with the part numbers. He sent me this photo:

engine series? gearbox series?
Thing is, the series in my registration is completely different, starting with a `SAJJALG5CH.....` (you got it, quite a newbie here, don't sure it's even safe to post these numbers online, be gentle).
... so what's the series he should ask for at the parts supplier?

2. These are the bits that need replacing - and I don't know what they're called in English; please advise:

top part of the shock absorbers, in the engine compartment

car is LHD; the `arm` that articulates with the steering (...for lack of a better word) is the one that needs replacing

Of course, if you know where I can order these parts, do tell.

Many many thanks in advance guys!!

Old 07-19-2018, 06:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

The tag in your picture is not the VIN. The number/letters you posted are the start of the VIN `SAJJALG5CH. the last 6 digits of that tag are the VIN numbers needed for parts identification. The numbers should be on the registration certificate and visible thru the windscreen on a tag on the dash.

The following users liked this post:
John Amaradia (07-20-2018)
Old 07-19-2018, 06:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,351 Likes on 926 Posts

Sweet action, your dad will be proud!

As Vern mentioned, your picture shows the gearbox number.
There is also an engine number (always good to know for ordering engine parts - the engine might have been changed), and the car's VIN.

On your parts, I enclose a sample of the exploded views available from Jaguarclassicparts.
Go in with your correct model (X308 and probably non-USA in your case), then its a matter of searching till you found your parts.

There are several original parts suppliers in the UK, like these guys, but also British Parts, SNG Baratt, and others.
They all ship internationally.

https://www.jaguarclassicparts.com/u...d-damper-front

The following 2 users liked this post by ericjansen:
John Amaradia (07-20-2018), SNG Barratt USA (07-20-2018)
Old 07-20-2018, 05:24 AM

Many thanks guys!!

Eric, I found this on jaguarclassicparts, but I don't understand if the ENTIRE rack and pinion system must be replaced change or just that bit.

Old 07-20-2018, 06:06 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by John Amaradia
I found this on jaguarclassicparts, but I don't understand if the ENTIRE rack and pinion system must be replaced change or just that bit.
Ha, OK, you probably have oil seeping out of those rubber bellows, right?

I just had that case with a friend's x308, and British Parts has a seal repair set.
However ... it did not work, the seals were different, and we ended up replacing it with a rack from one of his spare cars.

In your case, where you probably have easier supply, you might take the rack out (rather easy) and order the parts after you have the rack disassembled.

I enclose a service manual of a ZF rack, but can't guarantee you it is applicable for your car.
It will provide you some insights though.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
ZF Rack BMW.pdf (1.05 MB, 106 views)
John Amaradia (07-30-2018)
Old 07-20-2018, 11:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 843 Likes on 593 Posts

engine series? gearbox series?
These are the bits that need replacing -
top part of the shock absorbers, in the engine compartment
car is LHD; the `arm` that articulates with the steering
The plate with numbers you showed is on your Steering Rack - part number MJC 3901 AB, used on the "Sport" version of XJ8 from VIN 853936. You can get the complete (remanufactured) rack from, for example, SNG Barratt for around GBP 600. But usually it is the rod ends that need replacing (p/n JLM1098 genuine Jaguar part or JLM1098# which is OEM, much cheaper), see marking on the picture.

The top mounts for the shock absorbers are MNC2168AF (right) and MNC2169AF (left). These are available as genuine Jaguar ($$$) or aftermarket at about a quarter of the price of the genuine ones. You can see the choices of genuine, OEM or aftermarket at the Barratt or other suppliers websites if you search for the part numbers mentioned.

Old 07-25-2018, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by ericjansen
Ha, OK, you probably have oil seeping out of those rubber bellows, right?

I just had that case with a friend's x308, and British Parts has a seal repair set.
However ... it did not work, the seals were different, and we ended up replacing it with a rack from one of his spare cars.

In your case, where you probably have easier supply, you might take the rack out (rather easy) and order the parts after you have the rack disassembled.

I enclose a service manual of a ZF rack, but can't guarantee you it is applicable for your car.
It will provide you some insights though.
Many thanks Eric - and yes, oil seeping. Just talked to the repair shop, they'll prolly go with disassembling, as you suggest, and see what they find. On british parts I also found gaiter kits and steering rack seal kits; it's those that didn't work for you?

Originally Posted by M. Stojanovic
The plate with numbers you showed is on your Steering Rack - part number MJC 3901 AB, used on the "Sport" version of XJ8 from VIN 853936. You can get the complete (remanufactured) rack from, for example, SNG Barratt for around GBP 600. But usually it is the rod ends that need replacing (p/n JLM1098 genuine Jaguar part or JLM1098# which is OEM, much cheaper), see marking on the picture.

The top mounts for the shock absorbers are MNC2168AF (right) and MNC2169AF (left). These are available as genuine Jaguar ($$$) or aftermarket at about a quarter of the price of the genuine ones. You can see the choices of genuine, OEM or aftermarket at the Barratt or other suppliers websites if you search for the part numbers mentioned.
Great - EXACTLY what I needed!! Many many thanks my friend!

Will keep you guys posted if we find anything interesting in there (highly unlikely, considering the experience and knowledge on this site).

Old 07-26-2018, 05:47 AM
Veteran Member

On british parts I also found gaiter kits and steering rack seal kits; it's those that didn't work for you?
I bought indeed the rack seal kit.
Must be honest though, I was not there when the mechanic removed the rack from my friends car, but he called me that the kit did not include the seals he needed.

Old 07-27-2018, 02:13 AM

Right, so I finally got the orange light of death, a.k.a the dreaded limp mode. No idea why. Revved it a bit (how in the name of the seven seas do you NOT rev this car!!!) aaaaand after a short while - yep, gearbox failure. Heart sank. Panic, since the gearbox had (purportedly) been completely overhauled 30k ago. Ten minutes later, reached my destination (a polish and detailing shop, want to have the big cat shine and gleam), parked it, switched the engine off - ”Stability control fail”, says my dashboard. Luckily, I do quite a bit of reading on jaguarforums.com. And so, tech savvy as I am (!), I go all Windows 98 on the car, on the basis of ”if it ain't working, restart it". Which I proudly did. Yes, worked like a dream, best and simplest `repair` I ever did lol.

....Yes, I will get an OBD interface, read the codes and see what mood the electronics are in ... and with your permission, again, if I don't work it out (where I'm from, this is quite a rare car), I might post them here ...