XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Xj8 smoking and knocking

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2017, 06:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Xj8 smoking and knocking

Need help. Posting for boyfriend. Car has had pcv valve replaced, new coil packs, new plus, new filters, oil change, we have worked on the coolant system. Still smoking. Gets worse when it gets hot. Smoking out driver pipe worse than other. Thick white smoke and knocking. Sat up for 3 years before we got it but ran perfect when we drove it then. Video enclosed. Engine smoking and pushing oil up on top of engine. No idea why?
Driver side worse

Old 04-28-2017, 06:48 PM
Default Corrections.

Plugs replaced, pictures enclosed instead of video.

Old 04-28-2017, 06:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 970 Likes on 769 Posts

Head gaskets are done in that engine. LOTS of work to fix it. This is the X308 forum btw. You're want to be in the X350 forum just an FYI.

Old 04-28-2017, 07:04 PM
Default Whoops!

My bad! Thanks!

Old 05-02-2017, 05:01 AM
Received 141 Likes on 72 Posts

Smoke from the exhaust can only mean one thing, you're burning something that isn't 'usual'. If it's white smoke I would suggest water being burned in the combustion chamber. If it was oil, the smoke would be pale(ish) blue. You may get an indication from the smell of the smoke, if it's oil burning you will know. Maybe the knocking would be the increased compression having to accommodate the water or oil present in the chamber? I've seen this before, both water and oil burning .. and funnily enough, when it was water burning, my glasses steamed up when trying to smell the smoke, didn't happen with oil burning! Does either the water level, or oil level go down?