Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj8-xjr-x308-27/)
-   -   XJ8 on Youtube (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj8-xjr-x308-27/xj8-youtube-214718/)

ericjansen 03-06-2019 05:56 PM

XJ8 on Youtube

Today on Hoovies garage, 2003 XJ8.

King Charles 03-06-2019 06:08 PM

Of course it can be saved lol.

Carnival Kid 03-06-2019 07:11 PM

I'm thinking that cat is F.U.B.A.R.

King Charles 03-06-2019 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by Carnival Kid (Post 2036288)
I'm thinking that cat is F.U.B.A.R.

Enough $ they're all salvageable lol.

Edit :

I was impressed the battery wasn't dead after sitting so long. It has the contrasting seat piping & gold accented wood as well.

dwgates 03-07-2019 06:52 AM

I started in the same place, "save her!" but then he started walking around and found it funny he'd started in the only spot that didn't have a bruise. I should have known he'd do that since he mentions being a used car dealer at one point in his career(s). Of course the only functional issue could turn out to be that rear hub, axle, and bearing but at ~260k this old girl might be ready to flop. I'd be interested to see what things looked like inside the motor at this mileage (if it's original) just as a benchmark but will stay glued to his channel or the car wizard's to see how they progress. His comment about this old cat showing fewer codes than his (IMHO "almost") brand new BMW M5 is telling. New cars have hit another one of those plateaus where they've got too many computer controlled parts & functions for their own good. These things are way too expensive (new) and consume way too many resources to build to throw them away halfway thru their expected lives because of a monster repair bill. Looks like cars around the early 2000's, late 1990's might be a sweet spot. Looks like my 99 XJR and 2001 540i will be in my driveway until AOC legislates their electric replacements. I can only hope she doesn't take away my 95 goose. An Italian V twin does wonders for melting stress away and there's not a computer in sight on that old girl!

Count Iblis 03-08-2019 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by dwgates (Post 2036445)
I Looks like my 99 XJR and 2001 540i will be in my driveway until AOC legislates their electric replacements. I can only hope she doesn't take away my 95 goose. An Italian V twin does wonders for melting stress away and there's not a computer in sight on that old girl!

Yep, good old Do-Gooder Bleeding hearts, saving the environment by throwing stuff away and reducing everyones quality of life to equal levels of misery.

Carnival Kid 03-08-2019 11:18 AM

An XJ8 cruising down the autobahn.........................he cruises at 120mph-140mph

ericjansen 03-08-2019 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by Carnival Kid (Post 2036924)
An XJ8 cruising down the autobahn...............

Seen that one before.... always get the feeling it is filmed from the parcel shelf, like a bad video game .... car still drives super smooth though, like it should.
Also wondered what that switch (?) in his cup holder is ...

Carnival Kid 03-08-2019 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by ericjansen (Post 2037101)
.... .......drives super smooth though, like it should. Also wondered what that switch (?) in his cup holder is ...

Yes, I was wondering what that was..............must be the flux capacitor switch! :)

King Charles 03-09-2019 03:05 AM

Originally Posted by Carnival Kid (Post 2037114)
Yes, I was wondering what that was..............must be the flux capacitor switch! :)

Bluetooth FM transmitter linked via the cigarette lighter ?! I like how the internet white knights jump up to criticize & chastise someone about autobahn driving safety in the comments lol.

Johntechwriter 03-12-2019 09:10 PM

I cannot abide this “Hoovie” character. He and his YouTube Doppelganger Doug DeMuro share the same schtick: pseudo-fascination with oddball cars despite the fact that neither of them is a genuine motorhead.

ericjansen 03-12-2019 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by Johntechwriter (Post 2039000)
Doug DeMuro share the same schtick: pseudo-fascination with oddball cars despite the fact that neither of them is a genuine motorhead.

Pretty bad comment, I could write the same about you, but I don't cause I don't know you.
Presume you also don't know these guys.

Ungn 03-15-2019 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by Johntechwriter (Post 2039000)
I cannot abide this “Hoovie” character. He and his YouTube Doppelganger Doug DeMuro share the same schtick: pseudo-fascination with oddball cars despite the fact that neither of them is a genuine motorhead.

Hoovies building an 8 car garage on his house, so he's probably more of a motorhead than 99% of people his age. Its like the difference between Mike Brewer and Edd China. Hoovie is Mike, the used car salesman who can't fix crap. He still loves cars, though. People that pay big bucks to repair old cars are probably more infected with the motorhead disease than a guy like me who has rebuilt cars for 40 years, because they have to pay someone to fix everything. If I had to do that, I wouldn't have 11 cars.

CharlzO 03-15-2019 08:00 AM

Actually Hoovie mentioned exactly that in a recent video. The fact that he loves the cars, and loves the process of them getting fixed but isn't quite as hands on. Does that make him less of a car guy? He says he does do some work on them with The Wizard (usually taking things apart) but on the whole, he enjoys the process and getting things done and watching and knowing how they go. I can think of a LOT of "car guys" that are far less involved with the hobby, and have far less passion than he does. Many of them just spout off what they heard this week on some forum and have zero actual knowledge and no inclination to learn anything.