XJ220 1992 - 1994

Jaguar XJ220 question?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 11:44 AM
Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Jaguar XJ220 question?

hey everyone,
My dad and I were looking into getting a xj220 at some point in the next few years. Does anyone know where you would get a supercar like this serviced in the chicagoland area? Could you bring it to a normal Jaguar service area? Would they know how to service them? Does anyone have one, that they could tell me about what its like to own one? How much for serivce? What is the average price at auction for a really nice one?

Old 04-10-2011, 12:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Xj220 nice...good luck finding one and probally note. they have a really interesting engine the twin turbo/turbo set up still slaughter modern day super cars liket eh zhonda.

Old 04-10-2011, 01:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 939 Posts

realistic number is around $200,000. provided you can find one.

be careful tho, there are some that are wrecked and redone,look OK BUT??

Old 04-10-2011, 01:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,749 Likes on 7,100 Posts

I have an XJ220 in my care that I'm trying to repair. I think there are about 13 of them in the USA.

The car was never intended of the USA market so, as far as I know, none of the USA dealers rec'd training, tools, tech support, etc to service/repair them. Some of the dealers techs on this board can chime in on that, though.

There's a fellow in the UK, Don Law, who specializes in the XJ220. I think he has acccess to, or possibly legal ownership of, the factory tools, tech data, parts inventory, etc.

Right now I am waiting on information and software from Zytec to diagnose an engine management/running problem. I hope they can help but I reckon they washed their hands of the XJ220 ages ago.

A clutch failure on the same car was repaired by having a new hydraulic hose made up locally. That was easy... but I worry about getting it running right and future repairs.

I'll know more in the upcoming weeks, hopefully.

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
User 070620 (08-01-2016)
Old 04-11-2011, 07:07 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Make friends with Doug would be a good start.

I'll assume money isn't an issue but have you looked in to any issues (if any) you might have just trying to register that car in the Chicago area? Also consider that you wont be getting any parts from Autozone much less a local Jag dealer. When the car is down it will be down for a long time for numerous reasons. The XJ220 isn't even an investment grade vehicle. If you and your dad are just looking to have fun then restore an old E Type. This is certainly a interesting car but in my opinion it is for someone who has many cars in a collection and that is just one of them.

Old 04-14-2011, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by dba-one
Make friends with Doug would be a good start.

I'll assume money isn't an issue but have you looked in to any issues (if any) you might have just trying to register that car in the Chicago area? Also consider that you wont be getting any parts from Autozone much less a local Jag dealer. When the car is down it will be down for a long time for numerous reasons. The XJ220 isn't even an investment grade vehicle. If you and your dad are just looking to have fun then restore an old E Type. This is certainly a interesting car but in my opinion it is for someone who has many cars in a collection and that is just one of them.
Why wouldnt you think its a investment grade car?
Thanks for the elp everyone else.

Old 04-14-2011, 09:51 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JaguarXKR

Who knows what the future may bring but at this point they're depreciating not appreciating.

Cheers
DD

Old 04-15-2011, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by Doug
Who knows what the future may bring but at this point they're depreciating not appreciating.

Cheers
DD
Arnt they stable at like 200k, i though they reached there max deprecation value?

Old 04-16-2011, 12:50 AM
Veteran Member

Arnt they stable at like 200k, i though they reached there max deprecation value?

The one I'm working on was recently purchased for $178k as I recall so I think they're still dropping. <shrug>

OTOH the market is a little weird right now. SOme collecters are cash strapped and off-loading excess inventory. For all we know they might start appreciating in a couple years.

No matter how you slice it, though, I don't think the XJ220 will ever be red hot.

Cheers
Doug

Old 04-16-2011, 11:15 AM

Mainly because they just don't come up in a supercar conversation. Sure it is one but more of an afterthought I think. Like anything, the car is only worth what another will pay. Things could be very different if the styling looked like the custom job one of the Sultan of Brunei's cars had. Looked so much better.

Old 04-23-2011, 10:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 1993 XJ 220 #220725. Cool car but lots of work to maintain. Rob Law controls all parts and most of the knowledge about the car. As to value its hard to say what the future holds. BUT, I don't consider any car an investment. Service is a nightmare in the US. Dons solution is to ship the car to England. Not my preferred answer but.... I have heard anywhere from 13 to 32 in the US. Only know of 7 or so personally.

Old 04-23-2011, 10:25 PM

Doug I would like to get in touch sometime. pls drop me a line.

George

Old 04-26-2011, 11:11 PM

My mistake its DON LAW RACING not Rob as I said in an ealier post... Engage brain BEFORE I press send next time

Old 12-28-2011, 08:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

I disagree that it's not a worth investment. XJ220 holds a special place in super car history and is one of the only British made super cars of the era. The performance is still worth today and look of the XJ220 still looks nice. People forgot about XJ220 since nothing came after it and very few ever saw one in person. I have only seen one and that was at an auto show when it came out.

I wonder if it would be easier to strip the original engine & electronics out and put a modern Jag V8 swap?

Old 12-28-2011, 01:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,337 Likes on 1,056 Posts

The engine is the same unit as the BL Metro 6R4 Group B rally cars. People that run these at events surely know all about the management and capabilities of this power plant.
Don's son, Justin owns and races a white XJ220. The one to have is the S spec car, prepared by TWR for GT racing.

Old 12-30-2011, 06:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean B
The engine is the same unit as the BL Metro 6R4 Group B rally cars. People that run these at events surely know all about the management and capabilities of this power plant.
Don's son, Justin owns and races a white XJ220. The one to have is the S spec car, prepared by TWR for GT racing.
The XJ220 S was a real beast with about 680 hp or so. Here is one that listed for $295K although I don't know what it actually sold for. Depending on who you talk to, either 5 or 6 were built.

1993 Jaguar XJ220 S Serial Number 220779 - main page

Old 02-27-2012, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
I disagree that it's not a worth investment. XJ220 holds a special place in super car history and is one of the only British made super cars of the era. The performance is still worth today and look of the XJ220 still looks nice. People forgot about XJ220 since nothing came after it and very few ever saw one in person. I have only seen one and that was at an auto show when it came out.

I wonder if it would be easier to strip the original engine & electronics out and put a modern Jag V8 swap?
No offense intended but most of this post is a bit crazy. Being British made doesn't help the reputation of a car in most cases and the XJ220 was a disaster for Jag. How many car companies sued customers to force them to buy a car? The real reputation of this car was a promise of this and a delivery of that. Nothing came after it because nobody would touch Jaguar's promise of a supercar after this one. The car is forgotten for a reason.

Strip out the engine and electronics to put in an inferior V8? No way. A better question would be how about an XJ220 "kit" with everything but engine, transmission and management for such. Personally I think the TT V6 is a better choice than the originally proposed V12 but that is only my opinion.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:07 AM
Veteran Member

my opinion! had since xj 220 came out, 90s,
YES do put a V12 Jag engine in one, like original plan.

V6 exhust sound is terrible, V8 is better , but(for me) cant beat the sound of a V12.
most aint gonna race em anyway, so may as well sound Kool.

realisticly a KIT would be much cheaper than cutting up a real XJ220(value would drop thru the sewer), a lot of kit XJ13 runnin round, so a kit 220, YUP that would be best chioce!

Old 02-28-2012, 05:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,337 Likes on 1,056 Posts
Wink Enter the XJR15 to the debate....

Originally Posted by ronbros
but(for me) cant beat the sound of a V12.
most aint gonna race em anyway, so may as well sound Kool.
And that's why I think the truly great 'sleeper' Jaguar Supercar is the XJR15....Drop dead gorgeous Peter Stevens design (yeh the guy who penned the McLaren F1...) and it'll kill you soon as look at you, this fact (like the 427 Cobra) makes it a knee trembler for me, oh and the fact it's got a works TWR 6.1 V12 wailer!!!

Old 03-05-2012, 06:26 PM
Veteran Member

Great idea,, but not many on this site gonna buy an XJR15!

a kit would be kool, but not as practical as two seater car.

my wife loves it when WE take the Roadster out for a drive!!

with all 12 cylinders singing, out of one LARGE exhaust. (5"dia.)

Quick Reply: Jaguar XJ220 question?