Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ40 ( XJ81 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj40-xj81-25/)
-   -   1989 jaguar xj6 ac/heat fan dead (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj40-xj81-25/1989-jaguar-xj6-ac-heat-fan-dead-184669/)

karlward96 06-27-2017 10:24 PM

1989 jaguar xj6 ac/heat fan dead

Hello All, today I purchased a 1989 Jaguar Xj6 in overall very good shape.

The main problem is the fan doesn't work for the AC and HEAT! Does anyone have any trouble shooting ideas?

What are the costs of the new units?

Also has a 'need break pads' warning. Apart from that Clean car.

Thanks so much. Karl

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...85d8a633ad.jpg

Lawrence 06-27-2017 10:40 PM

Welcome aboard!

My fans were duff when I got my car too, so nothing unusual - the fan issues are pretty common. Fortunately lots of members have had probs with the fans so if you search the archive, there are several threads on ways to fix ...

One issue is the microswitch in the panel behind the fan speed knob ...another possibility is a fuse or bad solder joints in fuseboxes ....or possibly the fans themselves are gone ..unlikely, as the car has two ...btw, most folks call the fans BLOWERS so searching for blower will yield the best results.

I'll let you have a look through the old threads first but if you need more assistance/possible diagnosis, post the actual symptoms and whether the panel lights up at all etc ..I gather you have no air at all speeds, right?

The brake pad sensors will flag that warning if the pads are worn down to about 1/8" remaining, usually it will only illuminate if the brakes are applied.

Cheers

Larry

Don B 06-29-2017 10:45 PM

Hi Karl,

Welcome to the XJ40 forum. That's a great-looking car! With your knowledge of all those other Jags in your stable you'll have no trouble maintaining the '89, but there are some things that are a little different.

Probably the best advice I can give you is to read the Air Conditioning section of the XJ40 eBook at the Jag-Lovers forum. It doesn't have all the answers, but it addresses most of the common faults:

Jag-Lovers XJ40 eBook

Common issues are the microswitch Larry mentioned, the speed control circuits and relays inside the blower motor housings, vacuum leaks or other issues with the vent control system, evaporator drain tubes clogged with deteriorated foam insulation causing water to pool under the evaporator and slosh over onto the CPU or other sensitive components, etc. It is unlikely that both of your blower motors have seized, but I have been able to resuscitate a seized blower motor by working penetrating oil into the bushings at the ends of the shaft and moving the fan back and forth until it spun free, then applying light machine oil to the bushings to supplant the penetrating oil.

Cheers,

Don

jaggachafen 07-02-2017 05:01 AM

Having issues with the HVAC myself

I have a car with dead fans aswell..

Or not me but a customer has.. and yes.. I actually work at a Jaguar Dealer ATM.. but all old workshop manuals doesn't exist anymore.

I remembered the issue with the micro switch.. but that's not the issue.. there is no power coming to the switches.. if I give power to the switch the switches operates when the fan knob is turned from 0

Still doesn't operate anything though..

The customer had been to an auto sparky before coming to us.. and they thought the switch panel was broken.. I don't.. but maybe the CPU.. or the power feed.. if it's the same..

Nu fuse fail in the VCM..

The Auto Sparky wired in a switch to turn on the fan on full speed.. so.. the fan itself works.. atleast the left.. but you can't regulate the speed or direction or hot/cold.

Car is a 1990 XJ6 4.0 RHD Japan spec.. But it has been here (New Zealand) since 2000..

Oh and if anyone would be able to tell me the resistance of the exhaust temperature sensor aswell that would be awesome...

The wiring diagram link in the sticky is dead.. can some one send me one ??

I really want to help this customer.. but can't spend to much time looking for faults without wiring diagrams..

Dave Davison 07-06-2017 02:30 AM

Very common problem. I have had it on 3 XJ40's. Last one had about a quart of water in each fan housing due to the drain in the cowl becoming plugged while the car sat for some time. If the rubber bushings on the screws that hold the fan motor to the housing deteriorate the fan will hit the capacitor inside the housing & break it off. There is a 20 amp transistor in the heater housing that often fails. I just bought one of those for $6. Control panel is a nightmare but can be repaired if you know how.