Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ40 ( XJ81 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj40-xj81-25/)
-   -   93 xj6 VDP Almost Inoperable (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj40-xj81-25/93-xj6-vdp-almost-inoperable-205665/)

roaks 07-27-2018 02:28 PM

93 xj6 VDP Almost Inoperable

We just bought a 1993 Jaguar xj6 Vanden Plas - that was listed as being in better shape than it is. We can barely drive it. Their story was it’s been sitting here in our garage dead for 2 years because we can’t start it. It’s a great looking car inside and out btw – the tag is from 2014 – over 4 years ago. They said we are old and don’t know anything about cars – they’re in there 70’s – we just know it won’t start. “Our son researched it though and he’s sure a fuse is causing it”

They said they had occasionally jumped it to start it but felt putting a new battery in would fix it so the man got one put in and the car wouldn’t start – wouldn’t turn over. I googled it and found the exact problem here (Thank You) – fuse size and location. We stopped at a autozone on the way up got a few fuses for just in case, smallest size was a 5 – at this point I was thinking if this works we’ll obviously get the car, if not I won’t waste any time or expense on it. We got up to the car, at the top of a mountain, replaced the fuse and it started right away. The power steering made noise and still is.

It ran roughly but I could keep the engine going – BIG mistake not to drive it but I felt elated that it started and my wife and I have always loved these 93's. I associated the roughness to being parked for so long and felt like all it needed was fresh gas and engine cleaner and then the obvious stuff tune up stuff - plugs, coils, maf sensor, 02 sensor, tires, etc. The CEL didn’t come on for 20 or 30 miles into the trip back – but I wasn’t worrying about that since 93 and older cars don’t need to pass emissions. It made a lot of noise underneath but I knew these are notorious for needing bushing replacement – which I can do here and there. On the way home it died at a few stop lights so l used power braking to keep it going when needed.

Yesterday it ran fine in the morning on my way to work. At lunch (hotter out then) I went to the dmv for tagging. On the way back I was driving cautiously (tires could blow anytime) – but I tried giving it some pedal to test acceleration / and see if the tranny would upshift easily – and that’s when it started.

No additional lights came on like the trans light, but the car did something similar to what I’d call limp home mode and the oil pressure gauge start fluctuating low - I made it to a gas station – turned it off – checked oil – no issue – got back in – started it and it ran fine back the rest of the way back to work – 2 miles or so. Last night we tried driving it – it starts off normal then starts bogging down and then limp home mode. Turn the car off restart – no time difference matters – drives normal for a bit then the bogging and limp mode. We actually made it home by – once it started bogging – I put it in N – restarted engine – and get normal D for a bit. The gas pedal movement seemed to trigger the bogging.

The central locking wasn’t working – disconnected battery, hold + and – together for bit to reset computer – this fixed the central locking at least – so hopefully a few more things reset correctly too. It ran better too but seems to not like the gas pedal.

Any ideas on where to start? I'll need to do a lot of things myself so no problems there :D

motorcarman 07-27-2018 04:01 PM

You might check the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor).

bob

Xdevo1973 07-28-2018 04:38 AM

I was reviewing the service records on mine; the previous owner had the same exact problems. The throttle position sensor was replaced by the Jaguar dealership and the problem was corrected.

roaks 07-28-2018 08:56 AM

Thanks - that sounds great - hopefully I'll be able to replace it myself.

Lawrence 07-28-2018 04:22 PM

Try cleaning it before springing for a new one, there are archived threads on how-to TPS cleaning.

Larry

91calijag 09-10-2018 10:20 PM

You ever get the problem solved???