Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ40 ( XJ81 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj40-xj81-25/)
-   -   94 XJ40 4.0L intake air temperature sensor (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj40-xj81-25/94-xj40-4-0l-intake-air-temperature-sensor-88269/)

Lawrence 01-15-2013 09:28 PM

94 XJ40 4.0L intake air temperature sensor

Tried to remove the intake air temp sensor from the elbow today, wouldn't unscrew, looks like threads may be stripped although it didn't feel like that as there was a clicking sound like a ratchet as I unscrewed ...I think there must be a female thread bonded to the plastic elbow and it's spinning in the elbow ..bummer! Gotta love the Jag fastening systems, eh?

So I guess I need a new elbow and sensor:icon_bricks:

Rob Evenson 01-15-2013 10:09 PM

Lawrence,

If you're sure it's beyond repair, I saw three or four of the intake elbows on Ebay in just the past two days

Lawrence 01-15-2013 10:38 PM

I looked last night and today, only saw one in completed listings but maybe I'm searching for the wrong thing - I searched "intake elbow jaguar"

Rob Evenson 01-16-2013 08:43 AM

Lawrence,

I was mistaken.....sort of :) I saw the listing you referenced, and it appears proper:

Part no. EAC9552 | Elbow Parts From Jaguar Classic Parts UK

I noticed the vendor is allowing for "best offer" price. Go for it. Keep in mind, you can still get this part from Jaguar for about 31 English pounds, which is about $50, then you have shipping on top, but it would be brand new.

What I meant by being "sorta wrong" is there are many instances where you see something listed, and you just know the supplemental components are most likely there as well. For instance, did you notice all the MAF's listed, there must a least two dozen. If you think it through, those MAF's are most likely still in the vehicle (especially when it's just a pic of the vehicle), so it stands to reason that most, if not all of the entire air intake assembly is there as well, the vendor just isn't listing every single part, only the highly sought after parts.

I have procured parts from Ebay vendors that were never listed. I contact each one that has a vehicle posted that they are parting out and ask if they have the component, and send them a pic or link to what it is I want. If there are twenty vehicles, I send twenty emails. Some of the vendors are horrible at communicating and sometimes never respond, thus you need to cast a wide net when searching.

Originally Posted by Lawrence (Post 657662)
I looked last night and today, only saw one in completed listings but maybe I'm searching for the wrong thing - I searched "intake elbow jaguar"

Lawrence 01-16-2013 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Rob Evenson (Post 657819)
Lawrence,

I was mistaken.....sort of :) I saw the listing you referenced, and it appears proper:

Part no. EAC9552 | Elbow Parts From Jaguar Classic Parts UK

I noticed the vendor is allowing for "best offer" price. Go for it. Keep in mind, you can still get this part from Jaguar for about 31 English pounds, which is about $50, then you have shipping on top, but it would be brand new.

What I meant by being "sorta wrong" is there are many instances where you see something listed, and you just know the supplemental components are most likely there as well. For instance, did you notice all the MAF's listed, there must a least two dozen. If you think it through, those MAF's are most likely still in the vehicle (especially when it's just a pic of the vehicle), so it stands to reason that most, if not all of the entire air intake assembly is there as well, the vendor just isn't listing every single part, only the highly sought after parts.

I have procured parts from Ebay vendors that were never listed. I contact each one that has a vehicle posted that they are parting out and ask if they have the component, and send them a pic or link to what it is I want. If there are twenty vehicles, I send twenty emails. Some of the vendors are horrible at communicating and sometimes never respond, thus you need to cast a wide net when searching.

Good advice Rob, makes sense. I'll give it a shot. Thanks!

mrtalkradio 01-18-2013 12:24 PM

Did you get that elbow Larry?

mrtalkradio 01-18-2013 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Lawrence (Post 657625)
Tried to remove the intake air temp sensor from the elbow today, wouldn't unscrew,

I tried removing mine years ago, I remember I couldn't get mine out either.

Lawrence 01-18-2013 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by mrtalkradio (Post 659250)
Did you get that elbow Larry?

No not yet! Sent you an email, George

Lawrence 02-08-2013 08:15 PM

Got the elbow and sensor, thanks again George