XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

94 XJ6 wiper problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 10:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a similar problem with my 96 xj6, but my wiper doesn't move at all. However, the wiper motor works. My wiper stopped working after ice had frozen on the windshield, and my daughter turned wiper on before windshield had defrosted. Now that we have a sunny day I'm going to go out and check spline before placing that order for a new wiper motor.

Old 10-21-2018, 09:45 PM
Received 243 Likes on 140 Posts

I found this old thread. I hope "mrtalkradio" and/or "sleepycat" are still active on this forum and can offer advice or anyone else that has solved this problem and can help me. My intermittent cycle is not operating correctly. Like the others indicated, my low and high settings function as they should. I got excited when I found the 10 amp fuse as indicated in the above photo, removed it, found it to be blown, replaced it but upon moving the lever to the intermittent setting, it still has an erratic start stop cycle.

First off, how is the intermittent cycle supposed to operate? Is it supposed to complete one swipe of the windscreen, moving from the driver side start position then wait a few seconds at the bottom edge of the windscreen on the passenger side then return swipe to the driver side and keep repeating this cycle?

Secondly, what is my next step? Replace the motor?

It sure would be nice to get it working properly.

Thanks, Ren

Old 10-22-2018, 06:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,124 Likes on 790 Posts

Don't replace the motor if the low and high work. The intermittent is a sweep to right and back , but on mine is not adjustable. If it is only the intermittent setting then there's a switch bad or a dirty contact. Check all connections for dirt or corrosion first. Good luck!

The following 2 users liked this post by jerry_hoback:
Lawrence (10-22-2018), retroren (11-03-2018)
Old 11-03-2018, 06:34 AM
Received 243 Likes on 140 Posts

Problem solved!!! I replaced the "park switch" at the wiper motor that I salvaged from an '88 at the local pick/pull junkyard. I sure did have fun sorting out the wiper issues: 1) it wouldn't spray windshield cleaner due to a crack in the feeder line. I replaced the line and fixed it 2) a geyser of fluid came out of the driver's side nozzle. I swapped out the entire cowling from a junked car and that fixed it. I now have a proper spray pattern 3) the aforementioned park switch. 4) I had to repair a self-inflicted leak to the washer fluid tank. I was installing the underbody trim at the washer fluid reservoir and I needed to drill a hole in the plastic piece so I could install need mounting screws. Well I stupidly drilled into the tank. Dammit!!!! A foot of plumber's Teflon tape wrapped around the screw coupled with a rubber washer and presto magico, no leak. What a journey to have a proper functioning windshield wiper system. I make myself feel better by trying to calculate how much a repair shop would have charged if anyone would have even undertaken this job.

Old 11-06-2018, 08:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 623 Likes on 412 Posts

Originally Posted by retroren
Problem solved!!! I replaced the "park switch" at the wiper motor that I salvaged from an '88 at the local pick/pull junkyard. I sure did have fun sorting out the wiper issues: 1) it wouldn't spray windshield cleaner due to a crack in the feeder line. I replaced the line and fixed it 2) a geyser of fluid came out of the driver's side nozzle. I swapped out the entire cowling from a junked car and that fixed it. I now have a proper spray pattern 3) the aforementioned park switch. 4) I had to repair a self-inflicted leak to the washer fluid tank. I was installing the underbody trim at the washer fluid reservoir and I needed to drill a hole in the plastic piece so I could install need mounting screws. Well I stupidly drilled into the tank. Dammit!!!! A foot of plumber's Teflon tape wrapped around the screw coupled with a rubber washer and presto magico, no leak. What a journey to have a proper functioning windshield wiper system. I make myself feel better by trying to calculate how much a repair shop would have charged if anyone would have even undertaken this job.
nice work!

The following users liked this post:
retroren (11-07-2018)