Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ40 ( XJ81 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj40-xj81-25/)
-   -   Car won't start (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj40-xj81-25/car-wont-start-63989/)

lazzytan 11-25-2011 07:35 PM

Car won't start

Hi all$ hope everyone had a good holiday!

So here's where I'm at. Finally got the car running pretty good actually (needs lots of love, lots of love) anyways so here is what i have done so far:
•Replaced fuel pump and filter
•Ignition coil, spark plugs, wires and distributor cap
•Fuel pressure regulator
•Cleaned injectors
•Air filter
•New battery

Here's the problem the car will start once a day or I should say it won't start when engine is hot. It idles perfect and runs great but when I shut the engine off it will not start again :# also the spark plugs are burning really quick. I am very very frustrated with this car. And can think of nothing else what am i missing? What else should I look for?

THANKS A LOT IN ADVANCE

Jagfix38 11-25-2011 10:48 PM

A box of matches and a carton of beer!

Did you replace the fuel non-return valve at the same time as you replaced the fuel pump? It's a check valve that fits onto the end of the fuel pump and greatly assists pressure regulation especially with the symptom you describe.

Also have you done a compression test on all 6 cylinders?

mrtalkradio 11-26-2011 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by lazzytan (Post 432845)
And can think of nothing else what am i missing? What else should I look for?

CPS! Read the entire thread with the title CPS. There is enough information there to get any car started, at least until the next time it wont :icon_goofygrin:

MidwestJag 11-26-2011 12:40 PM

lazzy:

You should put the make/model/year/etc in your signature line so that we don't have to go fishing for it. But I'm guessing this is your '88 vdp... :)

A flaky CPS is notorious for causing the intermittent non-start. I think they can be bench tested; but a replacement might be in order. It would certainly eliminate a serious possibility. Alas, new ones are about a hundred bucks.

Just last week or the week before I heard Click and Clack on NPR suggest somebody replace their fuel pump relay because she was experiencing the same symptoms as you. This was also my very first 'fix' when I originally got my car. Relays can apparently become flaky with age and heat.

Scott

MidwestJag 11-26-2011 12:42 PM

PS... Are you sure you are getting good, strong, and consistent fuel pressure at the rail?
Scott

lazzytan 11-26-2011 06:15 PM

Thanks guys for the help n moral support! I will certainly check into the cps. Is there a way to test them? In the car?

I think Im getting good pressure by I have never actually measure the pressure just made sure fuel was comin out of all injectors. What kills me is that the car is guaranteed to start and run perfect it just won't start again until completely cool I'd say bout 4 hours or so.

It is a 88 vdp
Thanks again u guys!!!