XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

Creaking sound from rear on 93 XJ40

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2017, 03:30 AM
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Creaking sound from rear on 93 XJ40

Hi Everyone,

My 93 has developed a creaking sound from the rear that doesn't happen until the car has been driven for about 10 miles or so. All four shocks were replaced about a year ago and I don't think it's the exhaust. The breaks are also new. It happens when the nose dives during breaking and when the car levels out again. I can also create the noise by pushing down on the back of the car. The car does not have self leveling as its a regular XJ 40. Any thoughts?

Old 07-29-2017, 10:21 AM
Received 12,732 Likes on 6,377 Posts

Originally Posted by Xdevo1973
My 93 has developed a creaking sound from the rear that doesn't happen until the car has been driven for about 10 miles or so. All four shocks were replaced about a year ago and I don't think it's the exhaust. The breaks are also new. It happens when the nose dives during breaking and when the car levels out again. I can also create the noise by pushing down on the back of the car. The car does not have self leveling as its a regular XJ 40. Any thoughts?

Hi Xdevo1973,

Do you notice that the sound is coming more from one side or the other?

Off the top of my head, one likely possibility is that the rear shock bushings are making the noise. But the fact that it doesn't happen until the car has traveled 10 miles or so is curious, as is the fact that it has been a year since the shocks were replaced. Often, if the shock bushings are not greased prior to installation they will produce a "dry squeak." Perhaps your bushings were installed dry and have taken this long to begin to squeak, or not enough grease was applied and it has dried up.

Another possibility is corrosion around the base of a coil spring rubbing in the spring pan.

It's possible a perished suspension bushing is allowing things to rub together somewhere. Maybe one of the bushings in the differential support pendulum or wishbone tie. Perhaps the problem becomes worse when the differential heats up.

You could back up the car on ramps and have someone press down on the body on each side while you listen from underneath to see if you can locate the source. If that is inconclusive, it may take a good inspection with the car on a lift and the suspension hanging free to find the issue.

Cheers,

Don

The following users liked this post:
93SB (08-01-2017)
Old 08-22-2017, 06:00 PM

I'm starting to thing it's one of the universal joints on one of the output shafts of the independent rear suspension. It is more pronounced when turning right.

Old 08-22-2017, 08:08 PM
Received 12,732 Likes on 6,377 Posts

Originally Posted by Xdevo1973
I'm starting to thing it's one of the universal joints on one of the output shafts of the independent rear suspension. It is more pronounced when turning right.
U-joints may creak when taking off from a slow start, but the more typical symptoms of failure are vibration at speed or clunking when shifting from Drive to Reverse or vice versa. You can raise the rear end and support it on jack stands so the wheels hang above the ground, then check the inner and outer U-joints for sideward movement in any direction that indicates bearing failure.

Cheers,

Don

Old 08-23-2017, 08:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,125 Likes on 790 Posts

If I may add to Dons response- While you have the wheels off the ground, you could also remove the bolt at the lower end of the shock/ spring unit to see if that is source of your noise. Good luck.

Old 08-23-2017, 09:22 PM

I'll get it up on stands in the next week or two. The more I listen though it sound like a soft tap, tap sound once every revolution. It's a dull thump like someone hitting a solid wood door with their knuckle.