Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ40 ( XJ81 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj40-xj81-25/)
-   -   dash lights out headlights out won't start - FIXED (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj40-xj81-25/dash-lights-out-headlights-out-wont-start-fixed-64561/)

robhair 12-07-2011 12:03 AM

dash lights out headlights out won't start - FIXED

1993 xj6 had it a week. Took it in today replaced wheel bearings ran like top!
Drove for awhile than Watched my sons FB practice started it up everything good turned radio on and than turned volume up and car went dead.? Tried to restart and nothing I mean nothing. No dash lights no headlights no cranking. Windows work and electric doorlocks work interior lights work. when i turn ignition interior lights go off. Called the mechanic he thoought it might be battery issue. Called AAA they installed new interstate battery....nothing changed except alarm went off (aftermarket I think). Tried toggle and pushbutton for alarm nothing changed. towed to shop.........any answers ???? weird and the mechanic said strange didn't make sense ?

Grant Francis 12-07-2011 03:41 AM

Firstly, YOU ARE NEW, so welcome, fun is about to be had.

All my time with Jags, I ALWAYS get back to basics.

Remove/unwire that alarm system, basically to get the system back to Jag design. This makes diagnosis much easier. IF it is factory leave it as is. It may still be the "bug" but not in the same way these after markets can be.

The fact the windows etc still work, indicates the battery is OK for juice.

I am leaning towards the "ignition" supply circuits, which is what the imobilisers etc are wired into. the ignition fuses, and relays ALL need to checked VERY carefully, and it may as simple as that.

Not sure on the stereo relation, but needs to looked at I suppose, particularly if it is aftermarket??.

Cadillac 12-07-2011 05:03 AM

Well, I had a strange issue too . Remove the key and re insert it . Cycle the key (do not start the engine or attempt to get it to start) a few times 0-II and repeat this fast and few times time within 7 secs .
After this , try to start the engine, I did the same as above and worked

MidwestJag 12-07-2011 08:30 AM

robhair:
Welcome, and sorry to hear about your car issues. I don't know if all the symptoms line up, but these cars are are equipped with an "inertia switch" that immobilizes the engine. It is located in the driver's side (LHD) footwell behind the kick panel. This is on page 12-14 of the Haynes manual; which if you don't have one (as well as the other technical helps you will likely need to keep this car on the road!) you should probably get.

Anyway, I'd start there as well as the suggestions above and report back.
cheers,
Scott

robhair 12-07-2011 08:09 PM

fixed

OK got a call from shop 30 minutes after they opened. It seems that whoever installed the sound system used a block that was from the ignition system to connect to. It's a 3 amp fuse and it was a done duck. thanks for all the help:icon_beerchug:

Grant Francis 12-08-2011 04:50 AM

Damn, that was a quick fix for an XJ40, HAHAHAHA.

Anyway, good bloody news, ENJOY the Jag, drink more beer.

Cadillac 12-08-2011 05:27 AM

Great news, thanks for your update