Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ40 ( XJ81 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj40-xj81-25/)
-   -   Does 1994 XJ40/XJ81 have radio security code? (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj40-xj81-25/does-1994-xj40-xj81-have-radio-security-code-218043/)

al_roethlisberger 05-20-2019 05:29 PM

Does 1994 XJ40/XJ81 have radio security code?

Someone replaced the factory AM/FM/Cassette and trunk CD-Changer with a very cheap AM/FM/CD head unit some time ago in my 1994 XJ12.

I'm planning to reinstall the factory AM/FM/Cassette unit and CD-Changer, but will need to source a used head unit.

Did the XJ40 have any radio security codes that I'll need to reactivate a used head unit?

Don B 05-20-2019 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by al_roethlisberger (Post 2073581)
I'm planning to reinstall the factory AM/FM/Cassette unit and CD-Changer, but will need to source a used head unit.

Did the XJ40 have any radio security codes that I'll need to reactivate a used head unit?

Our '93 required a 4-digit security code for the radio. Some sellers will have the code, but if not, pay the lowest price possible and there is a way to modify the radio so it works with a known code. I have the details somewhere in my files if you need them. Paulajayne at the the xj40.com forum is the person who figured it out.

Cheers,

Don

al_roethlisberger 05-20-2019 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by Don B (Post 2073603)
Our '93 required a 4-digit security code for the radio. Some sellers will have the code, but if not, pay the lowest price possible and there is a way to modify the radio so it works with a known code. I have the details somewhere in my files if you need them. Paulajayne at the the xj40.com forum is the person who figured it out.

Cheers,

Don

Thanks Don, that would be great and I'll let you know when I get one.

...as an aside, it doesn't look like XJ40.com is around anymore?

Don B 05-20-2019 10:03 PM

I just tried to log on to XJ40.com also with no luck. Hopefully their servers are down only temporarily.

Here is the method of reprogramming the security code for the XJ40 radio from paulajayne at the XJ40.com forum:

Re: Introduction and Radio Security question

By paulajayne » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:47 am
To recode the Jag Alpine Radio AJ 9200 R the onboard jumpers (they can be seen hidden under the label - run your finger over the label and push the soft spot, this will create an oblong hole) need to be changed.

They need to be all bridged - so out with a small soldering iron and a small cross point driver.

First remove the top cover to reveal the cassette deck. There are two screws that need to be removed before removing the other side; they match up to very obvious points on the base cover.

Once they are out remove the four base cover screws and then the cover.

Identify the jumpers that were visible through the hole and solder any unsoldered pairs.

Check with a multi-meter after soldering.

Reassemble - put in car and when CODE is requested enter 6543 - Radio should now go.

Paula

1994 MY 3.2 auto.
1998 XK8 4.0 Coupe
1999 Ford Cougar 2.5 V6 auto.
1980 Honda Gl1100 Goldwing.
2002 Honda St1300 Pan European.

Cheers,

Don

XJ6Paul 05-23-2019 08:31 AM

If you buy a replacement Jaguar radio that comes without the 4 digit code, another option may be to get it from a dealership if you have the VIN of the car it came from. I bought a replacement key for a '93 parts car last year and the dealer gave me the 4 digit radio code for the car at the same time.