Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ40 ( XJ81 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj40-xj81-25/)
-   -   Front Shock bushings 1990 XJ40. VIN 616525 (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj40-xj81-25/front-shock-bushings-1990-xj40-vin-616525-a-202464/)

sanchez 05-30-2018 06:33 AM

Front Shock bushings 1990 XJ40. VIN 616525

After replacing the rear shock bushings successfully, I went about to do the front shock bushings.
Based on DONB writeup titled "Front Shock - Damper Top Bush Replacement", it is apparent that the PO replaced the front shocks with a set of KYBs and the steup is missing some parts.
Upon removal, I had the following:
From bottom to top:Bottom washer, bushing, bushing, top washer and nut.
There were no locating washers on either the top of the lower bushing or the bottom of the upper bushing.
In the same write up, DONB talks about a sleeve on the shock shaft. I don't have that either.
So, for my model year what should I have and who sells the missing parts?
I will also need to replace the lower bushing on the LCA on the driver side as I can wiggle the lower portion of the shock with my hand. I will replace both sides. Is that bushing available?
Presently, I just put it all back together as it was, until I acquire the needed parts.
Thank you in advance for your input.

Don B 05-30-2018 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by sanchez (Post 1904188)
Upon removal, I had the following:
From bottom to top:Bottom washer, bushing, bushing, top washer and nut.
There were no locating washers on either the top of the lower bushing or the bottom of the upper bushing.
In the same write up, DONB talks about a sleeve on the shock shaft. I don't have that either.
So, for my model year what should I have and who sells the missing parts?
I will also need to replace the lower bushing on the LCA on the driver side as I can wiggle the lower portion of the shock with my hand. I will replace both sides. Is that bushing available?
Presently, I just put it all back together as it was, until I acquire the needed parts.
Thank you in advance for your input.

Hi Sanchez,

I may have mentioned before that a great place to view exploded parts diagrams and part numbers is jaguarclassicparts.com, the parts service of the Jaguar Daimler Heritage Trust. Here's the diagram for the front shocks for 1987-1992 models:

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...3c41241913.png

The locating or "cup" washers are part 10 and the Jaguar part number is CBC4152.

The diagram and parts list do not show the spacer tube, but neither does the diagram for the '93 and early '94 cars, yet our '93 apparently had the sleeves since I mention them in my photo-documentary. I think our '88 also had them, so your '90 probably also requires the sleeves. Unfortunately Jaguar doesn't give us the part number. The diagram for the late '94 cars does show the spacer tube as part number MMB2154AB, part 10 in the diagram below, and since the shock absorber part number is the same for all the non-sports pack XJ40s, these spacer tubes should fit your '90.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...f127d07fda.png

As far as part sources go, try our forum sponsors SNG Barratt, Coventry West, Welsh Enterprises and Jagbits, as well as online Jaguar dealers like jaguarmerriamparts.com and Jaguar Parts & Accessories North Las Vegas area | Jaguar Las Vegas. For these washers and spacers, another possible source would be a salvage yard.

Cheers,

Don

jagbits 05-30-2018 10:26 AM

www.jagbits.com we have them all in stock

sanchez 05-31-2018 06:04 PM

@ DONB: That is where I looked and realized that some parts were missing. As seen in the post above Jagbits posted that they have all of the parts I am missing.
Based on what I saw, my take is that the PO's mechanic could not get the upper bushings to fit due to the thickness and eliminated the locating washers so he could install the shock nut. Just a thought. I may be wrong.

Don B 05-31-2018 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by sanchez (Post 1905070)
@ DONB: That is where I looked and realized that some parts were missing. As seen in the post above Jagbits posted that they have all of the parts I am missing.
Based on what I saw, my take is that the PO's mechanic could not get the upper bushings to fit due to the thickness and eliminated the locating washers so he could install the shock nut. Just a thought. I may be wrong.

Hi sanchez,

I don't know if that explains it. I've never had any trouble getting the parts to fit with the locating cup washers, but if you do, you can install the lower bushing and locating washer on the shock shaft and feed the shaft up through the hole in the fender, then lower the car so the shaft moves upward relative to the wheel arch to give you more shaft length to work with. Most mechanics would figure that out easily enough.

My guess is that since most new front shocks come with the yellow foam rubber bushings already on the shaft, but no locating washers, the mechanic removed the old parts and tossed them aside, assuming everything he needed was already in place on the new shocks.

Whether your guess or mine is what happened, who knows? You're going to be a LOT happier when you get those locating cup washers installed!

Cheers,

Don

sanchez 06-01-2018 04:58 AM

@ DONB:
Just speculation on my part.
The bushings I removed were of the black rubber type and the replacement ones are also black rubber. No yellow foam bushings here.

Don B 06-01-2018 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by sanchez (Post 1905275)
@ DONB:
Just speculation on my part.
The bushings I removed were of the black rubber type and the replacement ones are also black rubber. No yellow foam bushings here.

Hi sanchez,

When we owned an '88 XJ40 I tried those aftermarket black rubber bushings and found the ride to be much harsher than with the OE yellow foam rubber ones, so I switched back and have never used the black bushings again. The yellow foam bushings only last 3-5 years, but they provide the luxurious ride the Jaguar engineers worked so hard to build into our cars. However, some owners are happy with the firmer ride of the black bushings, so it's worth trying both.

Cheers,

Don

sanchez 06-02-2018 03:21 PM

@ DonB:
Are you suggesting that I should get the yellow foam bushings? I am open to all ideas.

Don B 06-02-2018 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by sanchez (Post 1906129)
@ DonB:
Are you suggesting that I should get the yellow foam bushings? I am open to all ideas.

Having tried both the hard black rubber and yellow foam rubber bushings, my very strong preference is for the OE-style yellow foam ones. The black ones were too harsh for my taste, but your opinion may differ.

Cheers,

Don