Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ40 ( XJ81 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj40-xj81-25/)
-   -   Front shock lower bushing (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj40-xj81-25/front-shock-lower-bushing-202524/)

sanchez 05-31-2018 07:36 AM

Front shock lower bushing

@Lawrence: I read in one of your previous posts where you used a borrowed tool to R&R your lower shock bushings.
I am about to R&R the ones on my XJ40, but the available tool rental comprises of a C-clamp and the accessories that go with it. Cost of rental $138.95
Viewing the location of the lower shock bushing this available rental tool will be inappropriate for the job.
I do not want to purchase a tool for a one off job.
Can you or anyone who has done this job refer me to the proper bushing R&R tool you used?
My other option will be to remove the LCA and take it to a machine shop to R&R the bushing.
Thanks.

Lawrence 06-01-2018 01:13 AM

That rental seems rather steep - how long were you planning to rent it for - a month or something? :icon_rolleyes:

You can probably remove and install that lower bushing using a beefy iron c-clamp and a couple of spare sockets from a socket set, or a short length of pipe (to receive the old bushing as it presses out) and a socket slightly smaller than the aperture in the control arm to act as a "pusher".

The trickiest thing is to hold the sockets etc in position while you start to tighten the clamp. Once you've got it all in place though it moves along quite quickly.

As I remember they weren't all that difficult to push out and back in. Access isn't too bad.

If you do run into trouble you can always cut the old bushings with a hacksaw blade and cold chisel them out with the BFH.

Good luck, it isn't really a big job and far less work than removing the control arm IMHO

Larry

sanchez 06-01-2018 04:52 AM

Thanks Lawrence.
The way the tool rentals work here is you pay the purchase price of the tool and after use you take it back (24 hr limit)for a full refund.
Since the XJ40 is not my daily driver, It will stay parked until I figure out a way.

Don B 06-01-2018 01:17 PM

Another way of doing it in situ is to use a long bolt or piece of threaded rod passing through the two sockets as Larry described, one that just fits within the circumference of the bushing and another a little larger than the outer diameter of the bushing. With a nut and heavy washer on the end of the bolt, or on both ends of the threaded rod, use two wrenches to tighten until the bushing is pushed out. The threaded rod and two-nut approach goes faster if one of the wrenches is the ratcheting box-end type.

Installation is the reverse, but if you put the new bushing in the freezer for at least 30 minutes and remove it just before installing it, it will press in more easily.

Cheers,

Don

sanchez 06-02-2018 03:07 PM

Received lower shock bushings and locating washers today.
Still trying to locate the sleeves. I will be talking to Jagbits on Monday.