Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ40 ( XJ81 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj40-xj81-25/)
-   -   Glove Box will not unlock and open (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj40-xj81-25/glove-box-will-not-unlock-open-186860/)

supra-raleigh 08-03-2017 06:02 PM

Glove Box will not unlock and open

After letting the car sit for a year or so, the glove box will not open. It used to work fine. I tried using some liquid wrench on the key and turning it. It will turn to the right but not so much when I turn it left. As, I remember, the glove will open when unlocked if you push the key hole assembly inward toward the dash. I have tried banging the glove, wiggling the key in all kinds of ways. I am out of options. Any one else have this problem that can help? Thanks

jerry_hoback 08-10-2017 08:29 AM

My glove box has a turny knob, not a push knob.....

supra-raleigh 05-09-2019 03:35 AM

I was able to remove the whole key lock assembly by wiggling it until the screws inside the glove box worked there way out. I have the key lock cylinder out but still can't figure out why it won't turn like it should with either key. Any help is appreciated.

Brewtech 05-09-2019 04:50 PM

No glovebox in mine😛

jerry_hoback 05-10-2019 04:46 PM

I gotta ask the dumb question because it happens to me a lot.... are you sure it's the right key? Honest, no offense...

supra-raleigh 05-12-2019 07:23 AM

Yeah, I'm certain that the keys are correct. I have a 95 BMW M3 which I was able to replace the driver door handle and manually transfer the lock cylinder tumblers in the right order so the new lock cylinder would work with my existing key. But, I can't see how the Jaguar lock cylinder can be disassembled to further examine. I am going to try to saturate it with WD40 and see what happens.

Lawrence 05-12-2019 09:03 AM

I don't have a glove box, (94MY) but I know the trunk can't be opened with the green (valet) key - is the glove box is the same, black key only?

Larry

Don B 05-12-2019 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Lawrence (Post 2069386)
I don't have a glove box, (94MY) but I know the trunk can't be opened with the green (valet) key - is the glove box is the same, black key only?

Yes - Larry is correct. The green valet key will not open the glove box or trunk, so you don't have to worry about the valet jockey getting his grubby hands on your Glock while you have dinner.

And like Jerry, the glovebox latch on our '93 operated by rotating the knob, not by pushing it.

Cheers,

Don

supra-raleigh 05-18-2019 08:25 AM

Thanks gents for the feedback. Both my black keys used to work for the glove box. I just can't get it to rotate with the key like it is supposed to do. However, this is like task #53 in terms of priority for pertinent matters to address on the car, but when I get more time to figure it out, I will keep you posted.