Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ40 ( XJ81 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj40-xj81-25/)
-   -   heater problems (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj40-xj81-25/heater-problems-50952/)

raymondo226 03-06-2011 12:24 PM

heater problems

hi,can anyone solve my heater problem? 1994 xj40 heater blows hot in footwell but cold at dash level & also at demist, i have checked the upper blend motor but this appears to be working, could the actual blend flap be stuck & how could i remedy this or do you have any other possibilities as to what might be causing this?
Ray

Cadillac 03-07-2011 04:30 AM

I think heater core is clogged up .

raymondo226 03-10-2011 04:24 AM

thanks for your reply cadillac, i have tried back flushing thr heater core maybe there is still a blockage i removed hoses from bulk head & attached a hose, is there anything else i can do before i buy another 1 ?

retromotors 03-10-2011 12:52 PM

I'm not well versed on the Jaguar heating system, (totally ignorant as a matter of fact), but it seems to me that if the heater core was clogged you wouldn't be getting heat anywhere.

From your description, I would go with your initial diagnosis - that it is a routing problem or blockage rather than a complete lack of heat.

xjrguy 03-16-2011 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by raymondo226 (Post 316148)
hi,can anyone solve my heater problem? 1994 xj40 heater blows hot in footwell but cold at dash level & also at demist, i have checked the upper blend motor but this appears to be working, could the actual blend flap be stuck & how could i remedy this or do you have any other possibilities as to what might be causing this?
Ray

Ya know there is a lower mode door motor in that system as well. It sits behind the a/c processor, the "piano". You might give both of the mode motors a couple of taps, they might free up and work a while.

Good luck,

motorcarman 03-16-2011 09:45 PM

I actually had this problem a few weeks ago and it turned out that the left demist flap broke and fell into the upper rotary flap. The flap would turn a little back and forth but not enough to allow heat to get to the upper part of the system.

I pulled the center vent, instpack and passenger veneer panel to get to the center vent vacuum flap fasteners and removed it for access to the broken demister flap. I pulled the broken part out and the rotary flap operated thoughout the proper range.

bob gauff

raymondo226 03-17-2011 01:37 PM

thanks bob, this could very well be whats wrong with mine, as soon as i get chance i will look into it & let you know.

Ray

raymondo226 03-19-2011 03:57 PM

Heater problems

Bob Gauff your the man !!! you were bang on the money, i took the dash a part & found both demist flaps had broke & 1 had jammed in the rotary flap, i removed it & hey presto i have heat blowing out of the top vents, not sure what
problems i might encounter without demist flaps but who cares i have heat !!!
thanks a million.
best regards Ray

motorcarman 03-19-2011 08:01 PM

Good to hear.
I just post what happens to me and sometimes it happens to others. I have the luxury of working on the same cars over and over, so I see some similar faults over the years.

Thanks and good luck.

bob gauff

Cadillac 03-20-2011 06:04 AM

Kudos to you on the positive post on motorcarman , it always pays everyone to see their hints are proven correct , have many happy driving

xlegendozwest 04-03-2011 03:02 PM

this was the same issue i had with the flap. thanks for the help on that.

raymondo226 04-04-2011 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by xlegendozwest (Post 331077)
this was the same issue i had with the flap. thanks for the help on that.

glad you got it sorted i know what it's like to have cold car !:)