XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

Trunk/Boot reeks of exhaust fumes...

Old 09-12-2012, 12:01 PM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Question Trunk/Boot reeks of exhaust fumes...

After driving the car when I open the trunk it reeks of exhaust fumes, also when I open the windows the interior of the car fills with the same odor. So much so that my clothes smell, people ask me if I was smoking,lol. No odor with the windows closed. It is exhaust fumes not gasoline fumes, just so that is clear. I don't detect any exhaust leaks in the system, I read somewhere that cabin/trunk exhaust odor was a problem in some of these cars. Anyone have an idea/solution? Would really appreciate it.

Thanks,
Charlie

Old 09-12-2012, 07:29 PM
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Two problems one leaking or rusted exhaust system,two body rot,or body plugs where wires pass into the cabin somewhere near the leaking exhaust. Why you dont get the fumes when the windows are closed is that there is no suction sucking the fumes into the cabin.When you open the window it creates a suction and the fumes come in. Also even if you dont smell the fumes you most likely are still getting some carbon monoxide into the car.Fix it asap remember dead is a long time.

Old 09-12-2012, 07:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 536 Likes on 415 Posts

Check the trunk latch for adjustment, and inspect the trunk rubber seal for condition. My TR6 had a leak and it was a poorly adjusted latch not holding the lid closed tight enough. `

Old 09-13-2012, 09:50 AM
Received 248 Likes on 170 Posts
Default Odor from boot

Charlie,

I have attached a service bulletin regarding the ingress of fumes from the exterior. Keep in mind, this particular bulletin was written for 88/89 MY, but it should give you a good idea on where to start looking and maybe some things that a person may overlook.

Good luck

Rob Evenson

Originally Posted by sleepycat
After driving the car when I open the trunk it reeks of exhaust fumes, also when I open the windows the interior of the car fills with the same odor. So much so that my clothes smell, people ask me if I was smoking,lol. No odor with the windows closed. It is exhaust fumes not gasoline fumes, just so that is clear. I don't detect any exhaust leaks in the system, I read somewhere that cabin/trunk exhaust odor was a problem in some of these cars. Anyone have an idea/solution? Would really appreciate it.

Thanks,
Charlie

Old 09-13-2012, 10:00 AM
Default Odor from boot

For some reason the forum wouln'd let me upload the file, so I'll try later today or tomorrow, sorry

Originally Posted by Rob Evenson
Charlie,

I have attached a service bulletin regarding the ingress of fumes from the exterior. Keep in mind, this particular bulletin was written for 88/89 MY, but it should give you a good idea on where to start looking and maybe some things that a person may overlook.

Good luck

Rob Evenson

Old 09-13-2012, 10:27 AM
GGG
Received 16,748 Likes on 12,141 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob Evenson
For some reason the forum wouln'd let me upload the file, so I'll try later today or tomorrow, sorry
Rob,

Check the size of the file you're trying to upload.

The usual reason for problems is where an attachment exceeds the permitted limit (e.g. a DOC is 2.1mB and a PDF is 9.54mB limit).

Graham

Old 09-13-2012, 10:52 AM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Thanks...

Thanks for all the speedy responses, I'll be checking the area today, I'll let you know if the problem goes away. Rob, If you can PM me I'll get my email to you for that file, that would probably be helpful.

Thanks,
Charlie

Old 09-13-2012, 07:50 PM

Charlie,

Send me an email to:

evenson.rob@gmail.com

I tried to upload again and it wouldn't take. It's not a large PDF file, about 3mb.

Rob