Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ40 ( XJ81 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj40-xj81-25/)
-   -   Momo is in the House (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj40-xj81-25/momo-house-213487/)

retroren 01-31-2019 05:57 PM

Momo is in the House

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...951eab1da5.jpg
Added a sporty look to the old girl. Out with the 16" bus wheel. This turned out to be nearly a 4 month project with having to wait for the Nardi adapter to come from Italy and then a few weeks for the Momo. I like the feel of the smaller 14" wheel. Can't wait for the nearly 50 degree weekend so I can wash her. It's been a bitter cold few days in MI. Another few months and the new wheels will get put on.

Lawrence 02-01-2019 11:23 AM

Wow a thread about my local sushi place!
Terrific!

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...f5f035b5eb.jpg

Larry

retroren 02-01-2019 01:23 PM

That's funny. Looks real good too.

Don B 02-02-2019 10:35 AM

Hi Ren,

I'll be anxious to know how many seconds you've shaved off of the 0 to 60 acceleration times with that sporty wheel. It sure looks a lot faster!

On the wall of my shop I have a very similar wheel I pulled from a Porsche 911 - it's a really nice wheel!

Cheers,

Don

jerry_hoback 02-02-2019 03:04 PM

Wow Don! Harsh! I was going to ask how a steering wheel made is sushi would work.... all in fun of course!

retroren 02-08-2019 12:26 PM

Don: I'm not sure how much faster I can go with this new wheel but I'm sure I'll pick up roughly the speed as when I switched to racing oil:). All kidding aside, I do prefer this smaller wheel and now my left hand index finger rests next to the horn button. This is especially useful as my low slung cat is apparently hard to see by all the taller 4x4 trucks and suvs that are on the roads. Cheers, Ren

jerry_hoback 02-09-2019 10:32 AM

Hey, I have a question you may know the answer to- I want to install a tilt column option in my 92. I have been looking at xks and barrats catalogs online and it doesn't Appear that tilt was an option for it. I am wondering if you happen to know if the non airbag wheel has the same splines as the airbag wheel. I can get the slightly newer column locally but don't "need" a spare otherwise. thoughts? Thanks, Jerry

retroren 02-19-2019 11:57 AM

Hi Jerry, sorry for the delayed response. The short answer is that I do not know however I would be inclined to say the splines and their associated teeth count would be the same. I have a round about way to get an accurate answer for you. If you contact Jason Howard at Crowder Performance (843.261.9553) or Jason@crowdersllc.com to determine the part number for a steering wheel adapter for your '92 with and w/o an airbag. if they are the same then you have a match. Crowder is the North American distributor for Nardi who I used to buy my adapter from. Hope this helps. Ren

Lawrence 02-19-2019 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by jerry_hoback (Post 2025357)
Hey, I have a question you may know the answer to- I want to install a tilt column option in my 92. I have been looking at xks and barrats catalogs online and it doesn't Appear that tilt was an option for it. I am wondering if you happen to know if the non airbag wheel has the same splines as the airbag wheel. I can get the slightly newer column locally but don't "need" a spare otherwise. thoughts? Thanks, Jerry

Jerry - I seem to recall a post from wayback about someone trying to fit a steering rack (late,ZF) to an earlier car with the other type and having an issue with the connection of the column to the rack, something about the angle IIRC - oh and I just found this post from another forum

so something to keep in mind

I tried and failed trying to fit a 94 rack into my 88.
Although the body of the rack and all fittings will match,
the pinion shaft is a bit shorter on the newer racks and the
88 steering shaft won’t reach. If you can source a matching
damper and lower shaft, I think the upper shafts are the
same. The parts drawings suggests there may be some
adjustment available, but I wasn’t prepared to make a huge
project out of it.
Luckily, I found a guy on the West coast who was trying to
fit an 88 rack into a 94, so we swapped racks.–
Pete Peterson 70E(193K) XJ40s(88-270K,89-97K, 94-122K)
Severna Park, Maryland, United States
Larry

jerry_hoback 02-19-2019 05:03 PM

Thanks Ren and Larry, I figured it would become a comparison of part numbers for aftermarket wheels (yes. I Have been thinking about this) . Thanks I'll have a go at that direction. Moneyfunnel has tilt and it's SO Nice. But looking at the parts listings I see no reference for 88-92, and I have begun to feel like an old lady looking through the wheel in the white car. The way I see it, if tilt was Not an option prior to 93, and since that was also the first year for airbags, there is really no good reason for the splines to be the same. Maybe I am over simplifying.....

Lawrence 02-19-2019 10:54 PM

Jerry, my mates XJ40 has a telescoping wheel and I've got a tilter, of course I yearn for a telescope because I have the tilter, grass is always greener etc :icon_crackup:

Larry

jerry_hoback 02-20-2019 06:19 PM

Perhaps a swap is in order?. I have a column from a 96 but it has a motor where the tilt lever would be... Power tilt??? so I hesitate to even try it. I guess that if I were Really Truly Serious I could find out for myself too, since I have the answer behind some screws and bolts...