XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

New Member with Questions about 1989 Vanden Plas

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 05:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Member with Questions about 1989 Vanden Plas

Hello All.....What a great resource for new Jaguar owner like myself!!!
I just picked up a 1989 XJ6 Vanden Plas. It's a one owner car with just over 100K miles. I bought it at a charity auction for $650 and I couldn't believe the price. It runs great and cruises down the freeway at 80mph.....the ride is wonderful! It has a few issues that I would like address. The first question is that I found a 1991 Vanden Plas in a wrecking yard and it has perfect front seats.(Appears Sheep Skin seat covers since new) I know they will bolt right into my car, my question is are the electrical hookups exactly the same or will I have to change anything.

Next, the new seats are Magnolia color while my interior trim is Doeskin. Is there a good company out there to buy a leather dye anyone can recommend?

Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to give!
Regards, Rich

Old 06-07-2017, 09:44 PM
Received 12,737 Likes on 6,379 Posts

Originally Posted by goldrushrich
Next, the new seats are Magnolia color while my interior trim is Doeskin. Is there a good company out there to buy a leather dye anyone can recommend?
Hi Rich,

Welcome to the Jaguar Forums! It's great to have you with us!

Regarding the '91 seats, they should bolt right in to your '89 ('93-'94 seats won't). Another member may correct me, but I believe the electrical connectors will be different so you'll probably have to swap connectors over from your old seats.

For dye, I have had excellent results with the products from Leatherique. They're not the cheapest, but their color matching is excellent and their dye, when properly applied over well-prepared surfaces, looks great and is quite durable. Be prepared to deal with their primitive website and just phone them if you have questions.

Cheers,

Don

The following users liked this post:
93SB (06-18-2017)
Old 06-14-2017, 08:30 PM
Received 108 Likes on 82 Posts

Have you considered recovering your original seats? I believe they changed the seat electrical connectors in 1990 or 91. Between the cost of purchasing the seats,having to dye them and fiddling with the electrical connectors it may be easier to purchase new leather coverings to redo your seats since they should have the same colored piping as the seat cover. Also,make sure if you do decide to swap seats that the seat patterns match what you have or it'll look awkward with different seat patterns front and rear. The VDP models usually had an extra pleated section compared to regular XJ6 models.