XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

No start problem solved!

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 08:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up No start problem solved!

Hello members. I just want to share the resolution to a no-start problem I was having with my 88 XJ6.

The symptom was that the car would start fine. After being driven anywhere, being shut-off, and removing the key from the ignition, it would produce a rapid ding-ding-ding sound then would not restart. The battery/dash indicators seemed fine but the starter would not even engage. I believe it was one of the moderators who suggested putting it in neutral to restart, but the car was already at the shop where it was determined that it was the "pringle?" switch? Anywho, it is the switch that tells the computer in what position the gear lever is in, P R N D, etc. Got it back from the shop and it seemed fine for a while but the car would not restart after being driven, again. This time (and $400+ later) I put it in neutral and it started! Back to the shop it went for "some adjustments" and we have not had the problem again for about a week.

Old 10-11-2010, 09:36 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,143 Likes on 749 Posts

called a neutral safety switch, and you are correct. That is a hit-n-miss diagnosis, very hard to find.

Did the shop originally charge you anything for that first visit? I was told that mine (which happens 1 out of 100 attempted starts) may be adjusted a bit, then if it didn't fix it, would have to be replaced. I have not adjusted, nor replaced it yet. Guess I'm at about 90-95, so statistics dictate it will happen again in 3 days or so.

Old 10-11-2010, 11:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Good to hear that it was relatively painless.

I sometimes wonder, if there is anything to be gained by systematically starting the car in Neutral from time to time.

To 'remind' the car that it can be done.

Old 10-12-2010, 04:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

Thanks for the feedback , glad it was solved

Old 10-12-2010, 03:48 PM
Cool Did the shop originally charge?

And how! Exact numbers escape me but, it was roughly $200 for the switch and $200 to "reprogram the computer". Is it standard to have to reprogram the computer after replacing this switch? And if the switch was truly replaced, what is the probability of it needing "readjustment"? Hate the thought of being fleeced...

Old 10-14-2010, 07:08 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine has the same issue. The no start situation happens about 60% of the time in my XJ6 but all I have to do is slide the shifter back about a 1/2 inch from Park and it fires up every time. It's a great theft deterrent (I don't live in a bad neighborhood but still) and unless you know the trick, you will not be able to start the car. I decided to leave it alone for now as its not worth the $$ to fix something so minor.

Just a little history: Old Thunderbirds and Lincolns from the 50's and early 60's were designed to be started in Neutral, not Park. - One last thing - The nickname is PRiNDLe because if you look at the Shifter it will have Park, Reverse Neutral, Drive, and Low and it appears to spell out the word on a column shifter. This has been the acronym for this function for over 50 years -thus the reason of no "2" in the spelling due to only have 2 speed autos back then.

Now You Know... Have an educated day.

Last edited by JT Burkard; 10-14-2010 at 07:12 AM.
Old 10-25-2010, 11:49 AM
Default No start problem just the beginning

OK, I hope you guys have time. Shortly AFTER we bought our 88 XJ6 a month and 13 days ago, someone said, "Jaguars are the only car in the world with more vertical miles than horizontal". Ours is true to form but, what cruel humor. He must own one too.

I didn't mention the car's brakes sunk to the floor and we had a low brake pressure warning priot to my initial "no start" post. Well, it "needed" a front and rear brake job and front shock absorbers then. And before it was over it ended up "needing" a master cylinder, too. Fine. Just get us our kitty back. But the brakes failed again shortly after, which they said was due to a "sensor" which was leaking, now "sealed". Before THAT was over it ended up "needing" its valve cover gasket replaced. Mad at these $!@& inept mechanics, I picked up our once purring kitty to drive a smoking, indignant kat to a second opinion. Oh, still no brakes. My second opinion guy says, "Your brake system? Cut wires, loose connectors - won't work on it"; needs a valve cover gasket. WTF! Call the first so and so - fix it or else! He gets the car. Needs a...Hydro Boost Charge Switch - yeah, that's it! A what? Yeah, and Jaguar wants $400, we can get it for about $300. Well, why didn't you tell me this before you said the brakes were fixed, you !$@&!!? I was trying to save you money... . Let me try to find the part myself, no one knows what the fudge I'm talking about. Called shop to get a part number. What part number? We called so and so and described that we needed a switch to the Hydro Boost thingeramerbob and they located it. Yeah? Well I also called so and so and they said, "What Hydro Boost Charge Switch?" . Called Google, who helped me determine it was an ABS CHARGING SWITCH, Part #JLM1562 - $75, eBay . Is this the part we need, ya !$&@, you? Yeah, that's it! Bought it Now.

Stay tuned.