Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ40 ( XJ81 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj40-xj81-25/)
-   -   Oxygen sensor disconnected (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj40-xj81-25/oxygen-sensor-disconnected-183705/)

Jaguar Dre 06-11-2017 09:11 AM

Oxygen sensor disconnected

Hey Jag Lovers.... My oxygen sensor on my rear right tire has disconnected and the connector that connects the two heads has broken off. The two metal teeth is still on but i cant line them up with the other connector to connect them. My light hasn't came on stating that my oxygen sensor is low or poor but my rear of the car has lowered. I would like to know what is the purpose of the oxygen sensor and is it vital that i replace it asap? Get back with me. Thanks.....Jaguar Dre.

Mikey 06-11-2017 09:45 AM

The oxygen sensor(s) has nothing to do with the tires or suspension height. They're part of the engine management system.

jerry_hoback 06-11-2017 09:08 PM

Hi, can you describe where this sensor is or maybe post a pic? I suspect you are referring to your brake pad sensor- it is stuck into the outside of the brake pad itself. These are not expensive or hard to replace. Good luck!

Don B 06-12-2017 12:01 AM

Hi Jaguar Dre,

It sounds like you are describing the ride level sensor. Is your car still equipped with the Self-Leveling Suspension (SLS) system? If so, a disconnected or failed ride level sensor could cause the rear end to lower.

If it's the brake pad wear sensor, a warning light may illuminate when you press the brake pedal (with the engine running) but may extinguish when you release the pedal. You can also check the Vehicle Condition Monitor by turning the key to position II (Ignition ON) but do not start the engine. Press and release the VCM button on the trip computer to the right of the steering wheel and watch for a message to appear in the small display window below the speedometer where the odometer/mileage display normally appears. You may see the word PAD appear if a brake pad wear sensor has failed.

If it's an ABS wheel speed sensor, the ANTI-LOCK and/or BRAKE warning lamps should be illuminated on the instrument cluster.

As Jerry mentioned, a photograph or two would help us help you.

Cheers,

Don

GGG 06-12-2017 03:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
No need for CENSORSHIP in this thread. :icon_lol:

Attachment 148207

Graham

Don B 06-12-2017 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by GGG (Post 1701775)
No need for CENSORSHIP in this thread. :icon_lol:

Attachment 148207

Graham

Thanks, Graham.

Since we're confident the OP's issue is not with the oxygen sensor, I was going to wait to re-title the thread until he provided additional information based on the input we've provided thus far.

Cheers,

Don

jerry_hoback 06-17-2017 09:17 PM

Hey Dre, How is it going with your car? Just wondering.

Jaguar Dre 06-27-2017 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by jerry_hoback (Post 1705179)
Hey Dre, How is it going with your car? Just wondering.

Response:
it's going good! i found out that it was actually my brake sensor That was disconnected which caused my light ABS failure light to come on which had already been lighting up since i first pull it out...so only thing left to do is replace the stock brake sensors with new ones and I'll be good to go. Thanx for Asking. In addition, the only final things i see needs done to get my car running at its full potential is order my struts put them on....order my brake pads and rotors and replace them....find me a good brake booster at a good price to replace this stock one. Replace a few hose on it....find me sum good interior and ill be ready to paint and embroidery and put these 22" DUB Floaters on that British Baby!! Im thinking Gold on Gold but im being patient with my work.

Jaguar Dre 06-27-2017 05:46 AM

Apologies

Sorry you guys for the mis-info i may provide from time to time but i am learning as i work on this car. it is in fact the brake pad sensors and not the oxygen sensor. You guys are a big help with spreading your knowledge and helping out first time jaggers like myself. Tips Hat hats to you all and sorry again.

Mikey 06-27-2017 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by Jaguar Dre (Post 1710508)
Response:
it's going good! i found out that it was actually my brake sensor That was disconnected which caused my light ABS failure light to come on which had already been lighting up since i first pull it out...so only thing left to do is replace the stock brake sensors with new ones and I'll be good to go.

Possibly more confusion?

If it's the ABS light that's on, it has nothing to do with the brake pad sensors.

Don B 06-27-2017 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Mikey (Post 1710598)
Possibly more confusion?

If it's the ABS light that's on, it has nothing to do with the brake pad sensors.

Mikey:

Since you know very well which sensors at the wheels can cause the ABS warning lamp to illuminate when they fail or are disconnected, why not share this information with the OP rather than leaving him in his unfortunate state of confusion? He obviously needs help, and if you were going to take the time to post at all, why not add a few more words and be truly helpful?

Jaguar Dre:

What Mikey is alluding to is that one cause of the ABS warning lamp being illuminated is the failure or disconnection of an ABS wheel speed sensor. These sensors are mounted on the hubs and are easily replaced, unless they have corroded, in which case you may need to apply some penetrating oil in order to get the old sensor out. Use a battery terminal brush to clean the port in the hub before installing the new sensor.

The rear sensors are shown as Part 6 in this diagram:

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...031eb41130.png

The sensor is secured in the top of the hub by the screw shown as Part 22 in this diagram:

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...6c519b46a2.png

Cheers,

Don

Mikey 06-27-2017 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Don B (Post 1710603)
Mikey:

Since you know very well which sensors at the wheels can cause the ABS warning lamp to illuminate when they fail or are disconnected, why not share this information with the OP rather than leaving him in his unfortunate state of confusion?

But I don't, otherwise I would.

I know enough of this particular car to say that the ABS and pad sensors are unrelated but not much more, nor would I assume that my specific knowledge of other vehicles be applicable. That sort of post does more harm that good.

I found the OP's post buried on page 3 of 'new posts' and thought that someone letting him know that he might be on the wrong trail again might be of help. Where are all the other knowledgeable people, other than yourself?