Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ40 ( XJ81 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj40-xj81-25/)
-   -   Rear Engine Mount and Driveshaft Carrier Bearing (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj40-xj81-25/rear-engine-mount-driveshaft-carrier-bearing-212606/)

sanchez 01-08-2019 02:55 PM

Rear Engine Mount and Driveshaft Carrier Bearing

Hello all,
I have a slight driveline shudder only on take off from a standstill.
I suspect that it is either the rear engine mount(transmission) or the carrier bearing(there is some side to side play) and/or u-joints.
Since I do not have a service history on this car, I would like to replace the above items
I have the following: CAC9343 Spring Rubber and CBC1883 Spring Rubber. These I purchased a while back.
I need CBC1324 Foam Pad? to complete the parts needed for the trans mount.
The driveshaft carrier bearing is another issue.
My research tells me that the part number is JLM1989 (VIN# 616525)but some sites are showing the part as EBC9040
Which is the correct part number?
Also, the Haynes manual is not very clear on the R&R procedure. I subscribed for the CD from Jaguar Heritage but I am unable to view same.
Can anyone give me a step by step procedure to do this job?

jerry_hoback 01-12-2019 10:28 AM

Hi, those look like correct part numbers to me for the mount, but (please correct me if I am wrong) I don't think there is a carrier bearing on these. My experience is for 92 and 94 only, of course. Good luck.

Lawrence 01-12-2019 03:54 PM

From your VIN 616525, the part number for the carrier bearing is JLM1989 and that is the one that fits your car, but the same site shows the other EBC part also fits. :icon_special:

My guess is they are the same part but the EBC is a superseded part number.

https://www.jaguarclassicparts.com/uk/part/JLM1989

Larry

sanchez 01-13-2019 02:25 PM

Thanks Jerry and Lawrence:
Is the Carrier Bearing JLM1989 a DIY job or do I have to send the driveshaft out to do the Carrier Bearing?

Lawrence 01-13-2019 07:01 PM

Do a search in the archive, DonB replaced his and has a step by step somewhere here ...I think he may have called it a center bearing though so maybe search for that too?

Larry

jerry_hoback 01-14-2019 04:34 PM

Thanks Larry. I have a diff pinion seal to do now that the head is back on and good so I Finally crawled under there. Sure enough! There is a carrier bearing hidden by the exhaust and it's own mount. It looks like a doable thing to replace it, just a lot of taking off "Stuff In The Way" which is typical. My plan is to try to not disturb the exhaust but you may not be able to in order to get the rear driveshaft section out. Maybe have a good exhaust shop in mind? I'll say this- it looks like a days worth of labor to have a shop replace the bearing so whatever your skills are, maybe consider that. I know my three have "given" me Many learning opportunities. Don't forget- it's just a car. You can fix it.

Lawrence 01-14-2019 04:41 PM

One thing I remember from Don's post was that if you remove any driveline mounts down there (trans mount, center bearing) be sure to mark the mounting bracket positions as they affect balance and if misaligned will cause vibration.

Larry

sanchez 01-15-2019 05:23 AM

I will be attempting to do the job this weekend. I will photo-document the job as I go along.
Sometime today, I will be looking at the exhaust system to see whether I can drop the whole thing without having to cut it. If not, I will have to rethink the whole situation.
I will be doing the transmission mount first to see if that resolves the shudder issue.

sanchez 01-16-2019 07:30 AM

Hello all.
What is the proper sequence to remove rear transmission mount?
When doing the transmission mount, should I support and remove the center nut or bolt first?
There is a cable attached to the mount bracket with a clevis pin
Then, there are 2 bolts and nuts through the mount bracket and the lower part of the mount and the 4 bolts that attach to bracket to the body of the car.
I have enough clearance to remove the 2 bolts above the exhaust pipe.
Thank you for your input.

sanchez 01-21-2019 06:42 AM

Anyone?

jerry_hoback 01-21-2019 08:08 AM

You should support the rear of the transmission.. that cable is the park brake, pull the center pin to disconnect it. I forget if it's a tiny cotter pin or an "e" clip. It sounds like you have the correct order. I haven't pulled that mount out in several years . As always care and patience.

Lawrence 01-21-2019 11:49 AM

I only removed one and didn't pay too much attention as it was on my parts car and I was putting it into the spares box ...but I do remember the cable (not the handbrake cable, Jerry :icon_eek:) being attached ...can't remember why or what it attached to/for ...

To remove it, I 'd do as Jerry suggests, support the tranny end with an axle stand then mark the mounting bolt positions and just unbolt the bracket.

I think the centre bolt is part of the mount mechanism and not attached to the tranny itself ..I do know that the order of assembly should be noted as the Haynes Manual has the assembly order screwed up ...have you checked the exploded diagram in the parts catalog?

https://www.jaguarclassicparts.com/u...-3-2-4-0-litre

Larry

jerry_hoback 01-21-2019 12:05 PM

Fine. Gearshift cable which doesn't need messed with

Lawrence 01-21-2019 12:42 PM

Jerry there's a short [12"?] retaining cable (only on some models I guess??) anchoring the mount to the frame(?), I think it's just there so the assembly doesn't fly apart when it's unbolted?

Just a WAG on my part though ..I think that's the cable sanchez is talking about?

Larry

jerry_hoback 01-22-2019 06:05 AM

Sorry Larry. I was laying under Moneyfunnel all afternoon doing the pinion seal. I'm getting too old for that. It makes me stroppy.

Lawrence 01-22-2019 11:03 AM

Hey no problem Jerry, :icon_biggrin: doing a pinion seal would even make this guy :icon_santawaving: stroppy ..

anyway, well used to stroppinesss as I've been married quite some time :icon_viking:

all the best Jerry

Larry

sanchez 01-22-2019 12:44 PM

That is the cable I am talking about. As per some reading I did, the cable is to limit the amount of tranny movement. The cable is attached to the body on one end and to the mount bracket on the other end. i am still waiting on the foam buffer (#7 in exploded diagram) before I attempt to remove the mount assembly.
The Haynes manual leaves a lot to be desired. I will have to do this using some common sense.
Thanks guys.