XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

Removed Front Door Panels on XJ40

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 09:44 AM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Removed Front Door Panels on XJ40

91 Sovereign... I need to access the Central Lock mechanisms and door latches to lubrication them.

How do I get the doors panels off? Seems on the lower panel, simply remove the door light and the screws behind the lens, then the panel pops off the grommets in the door? As I remember in my old 88'.

But how do I get the upper panel off?

Jagbro

Old 02-14-2017, 11:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,853 Likes on 1,179 Posts

IIRC, you first remove the screw behind the little plastic tab on the interior handle (if your car still has one!)

That allows the handle bezel to come free. Next, slide the wood panel until it disengages and remove it.

The other two securing screws are located in the armrest and after removing these the armrest comes free.

I'm sure there are some other fasteners but right now I can't remember where they are - maybe there is something under the rubber air duct that leads from the dash or pehaps the little duct has to be removed?

However If you get that far, I think you'll be able to see or find the rest, if there are any ... - You'll have to pry off the panel as there are a bunch of push-on locators under there but be careful and make sure you have all the fasteners removed first.

The diagram on JHT will show you all the fixin's, I'll try and find the diagram and post it in a sec.

here you go

Looking at the diagram, I guess you'd have to pry out those two push on's at each side and maybe no need to remove lower panel (armrest) either ...

Larry

Last edited by Lawrence; 02-14-2017 at 11:28 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Lawrence:
93SB (02-17-2017), Don B (02-14-2017)
Old 02-14-2017, 11:46 AM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Great Lawrence Thanks man..

Old 02-16-2017, 09:48 AM
Received 108 Likes on 82 Posts

To remove the lower door panel you'll have to push the top portion of the armrest forward about an inch. Usually using your palm and giving it a swift bump from the back corner will do it. It then just lifts up exposing three screws located behind it. There will also be one screw at the top rear portion of the panel where it meets with the upper panel. The remainder of it is just the push pins located along the bottom perimeter of the door.