Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ40 ( XJ81 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj40-xj81-25/)
-   -   Security Module (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj40-xj81-25/security-module-210776/)

skinni39 11-17-2018 04:12 PM

Security Module

I need to know where the security module is exactly located in my '93 XJ6 and what it looks like.

motorcarman 11-17-2018 04:39 PM

You likely have a model known as XJ40 (1988-1994MY) and post in that section of the forum.
This is for the X300 (95-97 MY)

bob

GGG 11-17-2018 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by skinni39 (Post 1989972)
I need to know where the security module is exactly located in my '93 XJ6 and what it looks like.

Welcome to the forum skinni39,

I've moved your question from X300 (1995-97 XJ6) to XJ40 (1986-94 XJ6) forum. This is the place to post trechnical questions about your model.

Please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some information about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

GGG 11-17-2018 05:50 PM

This extract from JEPC (Jaguar Electronic Parts Catalogue) may help:

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...97c2f62862.jpg

Graham

skinni39 11-18-2018 07:09 AM

Hello everyone,
My name is Carrie, but friends call me Skinni. This is y 1st forum so please bear with me as I become accustomed to how this works.
I would like to tell you about my son's Jaguar. It is a 1993 XJ6 - 4L We bought it used and are the 3rd owners.
The man we bought it from told us he was just doing his friend a favor by selling this car and had no idea about it.
We didn't pay alot for it, but the continue repairs we put into it, are well above the car's value, I'm sure.
The latest issues we have with it, are causing us major pain.
Last spring the head gasket blew, so my son rebuilt it. It took a few months but he did it well. It would not start.
He assumed it to be a timing issue, we towed it to a neighborhood mechanic, who did set the timing. He told us though, that it still would not start and told my son, he believed it to be a security issue as the alarm would go off, everytime they tried to start it. Since he did not have the security code he could not get through the system.
Here is where our problem comes in. We do not have the security code. The radio is not the original radio. It is an after market radio. It was in the car when we bought it. I called the dealer to try and get the code, since we have the VIN number, but as everyone knows the dealer will do nothing with out lots of money, told me, that the car needed to be brought in to be examined, because it was probably an electrical problem and they would charge us 100 bucks an hour to determine the exact problem and then more money to fix the problem.
My son figured if we could just yank out the security module, we should be able to over ride it and start the engine.
We can not find the security module. We disconnected everything we could think of. We read it was under the trunk floorboard, but we do not have a floor board. We read it was up front on the right side next to the radiator. The only thing there is the headlight module. The car did crank, after that. At first, all we heard was a click, however after trying to jumpstart it, it still will not turn over. We spent all day , trying to get this car to start. We were going to buy a new battery, but we can't get the old one out, due to rusted bolts. Just one headache after another. This car has been at the mechanics for a month. If we could just get it started long enough to get it home, that would be great. Is there someone here who can help us figure out a way to start, this car. I don't want to think that we have a very expensive 2 ton door stop.

retroren 11-18-2018 07:37 AM

Hi: Sorry to hear of your woes. It might be helpful if you purchase the service manuals, on cd, for $12 on ebay. I bought one for my '91 and it is pretty comprehensive. Sorry to say that you have already learned a valuable lesson regarding MOST mechanics. They are willing to attempt a repair based on limited knowledge and your money. Too bad you don't live by Motorcarman. Best of luck. Ren

skinni39 11-18-2018 07:49 AM

TY Ren. We have the repair manual. My son bought it when he replaced the head gasket. This manual however does not tell of security anything. It says to refer to the little car manual which we have and talks only about the remote which we do not have either. Online help has said something about the car being immobilized, but not how to change that. Thanks for your reply tho.

XJ6Paul 11-18-2018 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by skinni39 (Post 1990183)
Here is where our problem comes in. We do not have the security code. The radio is not the original radio. It is an after market radio. It was in the car when we bought it. I called the dealer to try and get the code, since we have the VIN number, but as everyone knows the dealer will do nothing with out lots of money, told me, that the car needed to be brought in to be examined, because it was probably an electrical problem and they would charge us 100 bucks an hour to determine the exact problem and then more money to fix the problem.

I have limited knowledge of the security system on these cars, so hopefully one of the more experienced members will chime in to help you. The dealer should be willing to give you the security code without bringing the car in to them, and for a "minimal" price, perhaps under $50. I would try contacting another Jaguar dealer, even if they're not local. You could always fax them a copy of the title. I have a '93 xj6 parts car and lost the only key I had. I bought a replacement key from the local Jaguar dealer by showing them my title. The paperwork that the dealer provided with the key included the security code for the car. Perhaps this dealer already quoted you a price for the code, but if not I'd try another dealer.

Having said that, my understanding is that the security code only serves to make the radio functional. I don't know how you would use the code to get past the car immobilizer security system if that's the issue. Is the alarm still going off now when you try to start the car? You could try buying an alarm key fob from ebay and programming it match your car. I did that with my '94. They are either infrared or radio frequency styles depending on your car. Here's some detail on them:

https://www.xj40.com/viewtopic.php?t=7779

motorcarman 11-18-2018 03:56 PM

Pages 29-35 in the Jaguar Publication S-78 Sedan Range Model Year Update 1993 describes the Security System in some detail.
I cannot upload it here due to file size limitations. (the file .pdf is over 5mb)

Gus does not appear to have it on his site.
I did a search for S78_Sedan Range 93MY Update.pdf and found this>>>>>>>>>>>>>

s78 sedan range 93my update.pdf (5.59 MB)

Looks like Eastern European (Slavic?)

The publication might be here somewhere on this site?? (It is now. Follow this link to the Forum Download Area - http://www.mediafire.com/file/bqmmw2...pdate.pdf/file - link added by GGG)

I might even still have it in paper booklet form somewhere in a clear plastic tub in storage?? But .pdf is your best bet to find it on the internet.

If you send me a Private Message I can try to sent it via eMail to you direct.

bob

GGG 11-18-2018 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by motorcarman (Post 1990429)
Pages 29-35 in the Jaguar Publication S-78 Sedan Range Model Year Update 1993 describes the Security System in some detail. .....

Bob,

If you eMail it to me ( jaguarforums@outlook.com ), I'll put it in the forum download area and post a link here.

Graham

skinni39 11-18-2018 06:37 PM

I appreciate everyone's help. We just can not get this jag started. I bought a new battery today, because it will not get enough charge to jump. We found his key fob and got a new battery for it. But was told we can not program it, unless the car is running. Don't know how true that is. So if we can not start the car because of the security system and can not unlock the car with the fob without starting the car, we feel we are stuck between a rock and a hard place. We will not give up tho. Thanks again.
Carrie (Skinni)
​​​​​​​Thx Bob I sent you a private messsage.

motorcarman 11-18-2018 07:17 PM

Thanks triple G.
I sent skinni a few .pdf downloads to get some info flowing.
I also sent you the S78_Sedan Range 93MY Update.pdf

bob

skinni39 11-18-2018 08:35 PM

Thank you

Thank you Bob. Those files, were very informative. My son printed them out. We will work on this tomorrow and let you know. Your help has been very much appreciated.

GGG 11-19-2018 02:09 AM

Originally Posted by motorcarman (Post 1990520)
Thanks triple G.
I sent skinni a few .pdf downloads to get some info flowing.
I also sent you the S78_Sedan Range 93MY Update.pdf

bob

Thanks Bob,

I've edited your original post #9 to add the link (http://www.mediafire.com/file/bqmmw2...pdate.pdf/file) to your document in the Forum Download Area.

Graham

motorcarman 11-19-2018 09:11 AM

Years ago I communicated with H2Oboy (moderator at the time) and he asked how I had so many documents. I told him I used to work at the Jaguar dealer. He offered to relay them to Translator for upload to the forum. After several dozen he asked how many more I had to send him via email. I said I had a few thousand and he told me to STOP sending them. (He was amazed at the number of documents)

Translator contacted me and gave me a username/password to the mediaFire account so I spent several weeks at night uploading the info and trying to sort it by category.
Every once in a while after that I got a message that the username/password had been updated, so I logged in with the new ones.

It's been many years ago since I loaded all those files and I'm sure the login has changed but they should all be there SOMEWHERE!!!!

I sent a few DVDs to Gus and he categorized his site properly but some files are not there. Maybe a host site file limit??

I hate to see info get lost on the interweb.

bob

retroren 11-19-2018 09:22 AM

skinni39: I hope the new information is of use to you in solving this issue. Once you resolve this issue and the waters calm, I would still recommend the purchase of this cd. It contains the official service manual volumes that were made available to jag dealer service techs. To purchase the entire set of paper service manuals runs about $400 on ebay. This cd is $12. I wish you luck.

Lawrence 11-19-2018 10:17 AM

This is probably of no help, but you can turn off the alarm with the switch located in either (depending on VIN) the glove box or the rear of the armrest cubby.

There is an immobilizer switch in the driver's side footwell, (usually colored red), if that has tripped the car won't turn over. Another possibility is that the gear selector is not fully home at the P position, try wiggling it while cranking or better yet try it in position N. If you can't move it out of P, don't force it, just do a search on the forum as I can't remember the procedure off the top of my head.
As has been mentioned in this thread, the security code only applies to the radio and the remote has no alarm function attached to it, it simply opens and closes the locks. It only has a single button.

Another thing to keep in mind is that if the battery voltage falls below a certain threshold the car will not start. This is by design. The lights may still come on etc but the car won't start. Try and remove the battery and fit a fully charged one.

Larry

GGG 11-19-2018 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by motorcarman (Post 1990729)
..... It's been many years ago since I loaded all those files and I'm sure the login has changed but they should all be there SOMEWHERE!!!! .....

Bob,

The files should be in the Forum Download Area which is available for any member to use:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/g...r-index-50609/

Although Translator (Richard) has not been on the forum for several years, the links are active and I have access to the MediaFire account which hosts them. I also have a full offline backup copy. Anything that is missing can be added.

Graham

motorcarman 11-19-2018 08:31 PM

The problem with the Forum Download Area is there is no 'Dewey decimal system' !!!!!

I tried to spend some time naming the files (Jaguar used to just assign numbers) but I did not have the time to divide the files into the overlapping categories and assign each section to the proper location. I never really had the need to perform this task because I have all this info on several computers as well as several bins of paper booklets and 3 ring binders. I knew the system because I followed the info as it progressed. Some models shared powertrains etc. so the TSBs went to BOTH 3 ring binders.

Jaguar issued TSBs every week or month (whenever) and we just sorted through and placed them into our 3 ring binders. In the early 2000s the paper documents were discontinued and I downloaded the .pdfs from Jaguar Business Network to a hard drive on my computer. Not all older info was transcribed to .pdf so the paper documents in the 3 ring binder is the only record of the info. Many of the Tech Guides are not .pdf so they will be lost over time.

A disciplined librarian could take all the documents and sort properly but it would take time and effort.

When I worked at the dealer Jaguar had a good database for the dealer tech or service advisor but you needed a username/password to login.
TOPIX is the culmination of the dealer info network and there are levels of access to that info.

Searching takes time but most info is here/there, you just need to spend time looking!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bob

GGG 11-21-2018 05:02 AM

Bob,

If you have the TSB PDF's organised in a folder structure, I can put them in the Forum Download Area in the same structure. It'll be a shame to lose the paper ones - sounds like a large scanning job.

Graham