XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

Sticking brake pedal.

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2017, 08:45 PM
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Sticking brake pedal.

I guess my 1993 XJ6 is seeking its monthly installment of repair funds. I am experiencing a sticking brake pedal, either when I press the pedal after not pressing it for a minute or so, or when I hold the pedal down at a long traffic light. I have to depress it further to get it to release. There’s also a mechanical sound transmitted to the pedal when it unsticks-similar to the sound after the initial start up ABS test. Does anyone have any ideas which part I will be replacing next? There are no brake or ABS lights illuminated and the ABS self check works fine.

Old 10-13-2017, 09:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,125 Likes on 790 Posts

Could it simply be a binding bushing in the linkage? How do the. Brakes feel? If the brakes are weak besides, I would aim at the M/C. Sorry.

Old 10-13-2017, 09:08 PM
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

The brake pedal moves freely if I keep depressing it. The sticking only happens if there is about a minute between pressing the pedal.

Old 10-14-2017, 12:15 AM
Received 12,731 Likes on 6,376 Posts

Originally Posted by Xdevo1973
I guess my 1993 XJ6 is seeking its monthly installment of repair funds. I am experiencing a sticking brake pedal, either when I press the pedal after not pressing it for a minute or so, or when I hold the pedal down at a long traffic light. I have to depress it further to get it to release. There’s also a mechanical sound transmitted to the pedal when it unsticks....
Hi Xdevo1973,

Your problem sounds like it is mechanical, but whether it is in the brake pedal linkage or the master cylinder may be impossible to tell without further diagnosis. I gather from your description that if you press the pedal twice in succession, on the second press the pedal doesn't stick or make the mechanical sound? To me, this suggests the problem is in the master cylinder and related to pistons and seals which are sticking and not returning to their at-rest positions as quickly as they should. If the problem was in the brake pedal linkage, we would expect the sticking to happen on every press and for the time interval between presses to be irrelevant.

Here are diagrams from jaguarclassicparts.com that may be helpful:

Master Cylinder:

Parts list here:
https://www.jaguarclassicparts.com/i...ges/mj5465.png

Brake pedal assembly:

Parts list here:
https://www.jaguarclassicparts.com/u...sing-automatic

Please keep us informed.

Cheers,

Don

The following 2 users liked this post by Don B:
93SB (10-21-2017), EssOess (01-06-2018)