Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/)
-   -   1970 XJ6...need motor and trans (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/1970-xj6-need-motor-trans-4477/)

rpx13 02-19-2008 03:18 PM

1970 XJ6...need motor and trans

Hello all,

I'm new to the Jaguar world and recently purchased a '70 XJ6. The car was beautifully maintained in and out however it does not have a motor or trans. From the little research I've been doing I know that you can possibly throw in a GM350. Ive called some shops but none of them are willing to work on a 350. I had one shop that said he would find me the original motor but it would cost me in the neighborhood of $7k. Being new to all this I wanted to get everyones input and advice on where I could possibly find an engine for the car. Thanks in advance.

ken@britishparts.com 02-19-2008 04:07 PM

RE: 1970 XJ6...need motor and trans

This is going to sound whacky, but how much engine do you need? Are you missing carbs, waterpump, all the hang-on accessories? Could be a real tough order.

davidboger 02-19-2008 06:27 PM

RE: 1970 XJ6...need motor and trans

If you want to stick with originality, or are planning any car shows, I'd stick with the Jaguar motor.
If you aren't concerned about that, a 350 will work.
There are good and bad points to both.
The Jaguar 6 cylinder will move the car, but is a 6 cylinder pulling a 4200 pound car. The acceleration is smooth, but won't blow anyone's doors off. The 1970 car had two Stromburg carbs. In some areas of the country it is harder to find a qualified Jaguar mechanic. The parts are easily accessable, but may take a couple of days to get in.
The Chevy 350 is easy to find. It does make the car a little peppier. Typically the parts are at the nearest Auto Zone, and any local garage will work on it.

I'm currently working on a friends 1973 XJ with a 350 in it. It drives nice, looks OK, and our local garage worked on it, no problems. However, it is loud, sits high on the front end, and basically isn't a Jaguar anymore.
If you decide to go with a 350, you'll need a kit to install the engine. John's cars in TX (?) makes a kit that makes it pretty simple.

BUT, probably the least expensive thing that you could do is to look around for a car the oposite of what you have now. One that runs great, but looks crappy. You can get them cheap (less than $1000), and you'll have a project that you can work with. Plus a ton of spares just in case something goes wrong.

So, good luck with your project. If I can help in any way shoot me a private email. I'll be glad to hook you up with some links to different websites to give you some options.

David
EverydayXJ

Ben Korytko 07-24-2016 01:26 PM

1970 jag xj6

Have a 1970 xj6 complete and "drivable" stored indoors!! Engine and transmission are excellent.!! Body good "no rust".!! Steering and suspension poor condition "rusty a arms, lots of steering play". Interior very poor except for headliner "grey and new.!!" Dash and gauges and switches are all excellent and working. Car is Parked because Both gas tanks located in trunk in fenders leak fuel but are "repairable". Looking to sell complete as is in central Alberta.
I will add photos soon.!!

icsamerica 07-24-2016 08:01 PM

Old thread, it lives!!!! Like Frankenstein..it's been brought back from the dead! OP was from 2008.