Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/)
-   -   1974 XJ6 engine conversion (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/1974-xj6-engine-conversion-67394/)

norbertkozma 01-30-2012 12:00 PM

1974 XJ6 engine conversion

Gentlemen, I am a new owner of what I believe to be a classic. It is a 1974 XJ6 saloon sedan (series II) . I live in Lake Worth FL, and my concerns lye with the practicality and usability of the vehicle. I love the lines of the car, I love the classic/vintage feel of it however, the engine and transmission seems to be a pain in the rear. Most of the emission webbing on top of the engine is disconnected and oil is being spilled all over the engine. Long story short a Jag restoration professional keeps discouraging me in keeping the car. He sais it will be a money pit till the day I die. I am asking for advice: should I keep it and restore the engine (within reason) or should I change the engine/transmission to an American v8? In both cases I need advice regarding reputable mechanics that can handle the work. I am keeping the car and I plan on driving it on a regular basis. I appreciate all and any advice. Thank you, Norbert

Fraser Mitchell 01-30-2012 02:37 PM

If it was me, I would at least lift the head off before making a decision. If the block is cracked between the bores it will suffer from constant head gasket failures. If not cracked, probably worth a top end rebuild. Throw away all that emissions stuff and get back to basics. It's a carburettor car and there are no pesky electronics. Even if you swap out to a US V8 and tranny, there will be a load more needing doing, believe me. Front and rear suspensions is likely a must for a start. Then there will be rusty bodywork to be attended to.

NBCat 01-30-2012 11:00 PM

If you feel so strongly about the car, my advice would be to learn what you can about her and do the work yourself. The Series II cars suffered from the effects of the British Leyland management fiasco, but can be made into the beautiful cars they were meant to be with a bit of attention.

The most important thing is the absence of rust. If the car is originally from Florida, you should have minimal rust to deal with, which can wreak havoc on the electrical system and your financial health!

Personally, I regard the cars 'converted' with cast iron push rod lumps to be worthless when it comes to resale. The only reason anyone would do such a thing is a lack of mechanical ability and for the amount spent on the 'conversion', the original engine and running gear can be repaired by someone competent. An unmolested, rust-free Series II car can be worth a fair amount if you look on Hemmings.

I'm sure to draw the ire of some on this forum, but spend the time to do the work yourself and enjoy the praise and even envy of others!

NBCat