XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1974 xj6 interior questions/repair.

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2017, 12:46 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 1974 xj6 interior questions/repair.

Just bought it yesterday and get it in 3 days. First project I'm going to tackle is the interior. I just need a sense of accomplishment before I tackle the brakes at the end of the month lol.
First question. The interior is all black, which is just fine with me. But I read somewhere (can't remember where) that it was a special option or limited edition? I'm not too hung up on it, but it would be fun to know and if it offers insight to the car as a whole.
Second is general leather seat, dash and such. Anyone have a favorite rip repair kit, conditioner, cleaner? I know I can Google but what worked best on YOUR jag? Dash repair as well, but the crack isn't too bad.
Thanks in advance!

Old 06-18-2017, 01:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 8,946 Likes on 5,293 Posts

I see you found us. Welcome to our playroom.
*Most* Xj6 Jags I've personally seen, originally had a yellow-beige interior, called Doe Skin I think.

My seats and door liners are leather, but dash and rear deck are a high quality vinyl in black. When I got my car, all that stuff was in Excellent condition so I merely clean it with Meguiar's leather cleaner.
(';')

Old 06-19-2017, 03:56 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I have used Meguiar's leather cleaners and conditioners in the past and they're very good. Whatever you do, don't use Armor All (alcohol: dries: horrible stuff)

For dash pad/seat protection, I hear very good things about 303 Aerospace, which I drove to the states to buy but gather is now being sold in Canada too.

Old 06-19-2017, 07:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,058 Likes on 451 Posts

Google learherique!...

Old 06-19-2017, 08:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,756 Likes on 7,101 Posts

My experience is mostly with Series IIIs. I don't know if black was 'special order' but it's a bit unusual, definitely.

I suspect the same for Series II cars.

Cheers
DD

Old 06-19-2017, 09:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 8,946 Likes on 5,293 Posts

If your leather is *Real* leather as opposed to modern leather which has a clear coat of Poly-Urethane on the top, then Leatherique or similar will do it justice.

My car, however, had the leather done in 1986 and it has the aforementioned Poly-U over the top. This clear coat makes for better durability, but if you happen to wear through it by vigorous cleaning it gets sticky and then you have a Real mess (you can ask me how I know this).

So I've learned to only use something like Meguiar's Leather/Vinyl cleaner or similar (Mother's is OK too), which leaves seats with a slick, protective finish; until it wears off due to sitting and scooching around getting in and out.

The way you tell which you have (as it's BLACK this will be easy), get a damp cloth and wipe across a region of probable wear; driver seat back for example.

If the damp area gets noticeably darker then you have bare, naked, *Real* leather. If the whole damp area does Not get darker, then you have a modern, Poly-U covered leather which should be cleaned in much the same way as vinyl.
(';')

Old 06-20-2017, 01:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 425 Likes on 325 Posts

I endorse what Elinor is saying, I had the same experience with a later model XJ. Another simple test is the aroma - if you have real a leather finish you should get that luxuriant leather smell when you open the door!

The following users liked this post:
LnrB (06-20-2017)
Old 06-20-2017, 10:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Meguir's is good stuff. I just used one of their products on the plentiful plastic trim on my venerable old Jeep. The faded grey became a dark grey almost black with a matte finish. Much, much better. Complimentry to it's Pewter paint color. The latter still in great shape. Next, when the F's subside, the tires could use "dressing".

And, as I recall, a visit to their site can yield in a program for cars. Their products, of course.

For now, I'm on inside house keeping chores. And some deferred catchups.

Coco is a wooly guy.... Sheds....
Carl