XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1984 xj6 VandenPlas fuel filler to fuel tank connection

Old 10-11-2012, 09:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1984 xj6 VandenPlas fuel filler to fuel tank connection

Hi guys can anyone tell me,the actual physical connection between the fuel filler tube/cap and the fuel tanks,on a 1984 vanden plas .
Is it a rubber connection or a mechanical connection
What would be the typical procedure in separating the two.
thanks in advance. jdoc

Old 10-12-2012, 05:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,425 Likes on 1,826 Posts

are you trying to remove the tank or the filler door/cap?

there is a hard Felt seal (but any hard gasket material will do), between the body and the tank at the "mouth" that is replaced whenever the tank is lowered or removed, otherwise the chromed filler door is removed by removing the visible screws when it is opened.

Old 10-12-2012, 01:52 PM

I had to remove mine awhile back when I removed the tank for cleaning. jdoc is right. 4 screws to free up the cap assembly. Then alot of prying gently to get it to come loose. My "gentle" prying bent some of the body trying to get one off, the other came out fairly easily by rotating back and forth while pulling up. On the inside of my tank there were two o-rings that help seal the cap assembly in place. It can be tough depending on if they've ever been removed. Also, there is the vent hose that comes out the back that is hard to see until you get the cap up a little ways.

Another suggestion, which I haven't tried, if you have gas in the tank is to unbolt the tank and let gravity assist in pull it off.

Chris

Old 10-12-2012, 07:05 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mythos
Another suggestion, which I haven't tried, if you have gas in the tank is to unbolt the tank and let gravity assist in pull it off. Chris
I don't think that will work, the tank is bolted in several places, the filler cap door does not hold the tank; Also when the tank is removed and replaced, the last part installed is the filler cap and "USE ONLY UNLEADED FUEL" plate.

Old 10-14-2012, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by Jose
are you trying to remove the tank or the filler door/cap?

there is a hard Felt seal (but any hard gasket material will do), between the body and the tank at the "mouth" that is replaced whenever the tank is lowered or removed, otherwise the chromed filler door is removed by removing the visible screws when it is opened.
Jose ,im trying to remove both fuel tanks I am certain I have all bolts ,soft hoses and ridgid lines disconnected. The tanks are hanging by the filler necks.
The necks/filler caps are un screwed and free from the quarter panels,it still feels like there is a ridgid connection between the filler necks and the tanks. Assuming it slip fit like older gm/ chrysler tanks I sprayed penatrant/lubricants in the general direction about a week ago.

Old 10-14-2012, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by mythos
I had to remove mine awhile back when I removed the tank for cleaning. jdoc is right. 4 screws to free up the cap assembly. Then alot of prying gently to get it to come loose. My "gentle" prying bent some of the body trying to get one off, the other came out fairly easily by rotating back and forth while pulling up. On the inside of my tank there were two o-rings that help seal the cap assembly in place. It can be tough depending on if they've ever been removed. Also, there is the vent hose that comes out the back that is hard to see until you get the cap up a little ways.

Another suggestion, which I haven't tried, if you have gas in the tank is to unbolt the tank and let gravity assist in pull it off.

Chris
Thx Chris, I believe that is the answer, 28 yrs of hardening o rings at the filler tube to fuel tank connection.
ive pulled fuel tanks out of more things than I can remember,but this a little different/ more difficult.

Old 10-14-2012, 10:02 PM

Thx guys ,w/ that info im going to take another shot @ pulling the tanks again ,monday or tues. ill post the results.

Old 10-15-2012, 02:10 AM
Veteran Member

assuming you have removed ALL the required bolts & hoses, could be the seal has literally glued itself to the underside of the wing/fender. Once the tanks are empty, they are not very heavy.

Have you removed the taillights and removed the wiring from the rear of the tanks?

Old 10-15-2012, 04:34 AM
Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts
Default fuel tank

I remember taking the fuel filler out of mine, and it is just a press fit in the tank neck, with a couple of O rings. Try not to damage the metal under the filler, cos it will leak water. Also replace the gasket, or use silastic. Make sure the seals on the caps are good, for the same reason.

Old 10-15-2012, 06:28 AM
Veteran Member

I remember tapping the filler pipe with a rubber mallet until the tank gave, the seal had "glued" itself to both surfaces, but I'm not saying that is what is going on in your car.

question: did you follow the Jaguar Factory Service Manual removal steps? or are you removing the tank by "ear" ?